Tony Stewart may have hit/ran over someone

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I have driven race cars. In my own mind I am sure Tony was trying to show the kid who the boss was. But of course he did not mean to kill him, just wanted to give him a scare.

This.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
In the end the majority of the blame will fall on the kid. He shouldn't have wandered out on the track and that's why the bigger circuits fine drivers for that crap. Tony's actions will be questioned but unless he comes out and admits he was trying to punk the kid by spraying mud on him Smoke will just say he didn't see him and was trying to avoid him.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
That's all just speculation at this point.

I don't give a **** about racing and I don't know Tony Stewart from Tony the Tiger but this kid walked into the middle of a race track into the path of oncoming cars, that's where the fault lies.

This is a VERY common occurrence. The race was under yellow, so the cars were not at high speed. Did he get too close? Probably, but nothing uncommon with it. He didn't jump in front of the car, he was off to the side. No one knows if TS saw him the entire time or at the last minute. But to lay 100% blame on the deceased is short sighted.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Also Stewart is just a second or so behind the blue car that passes the kid very closely right before Stewart hits him.

watching the video makes it much more complicated than "Tony ran the guy over, free pass to jail". Kid was darting up and down the track and that blue car has to dodge out of the way. There was a sprint car caller on a show last night who said you cannot see out the right side of those cars which is why the safety workers will always approach from the left. Said you also will keep revving the engine under caution because it'll die or something otherwise. I still think Tony didn't do all he could to avoid the driver - but in more of a holding his line way instead of swerving at him. It would have been incredibly stupid for Tony to race today, so I'm glad he's not doing that.

I saw someone say they should start suspending drivers who charge at the cars like that (happened in the Nationwide race yesterday as well) and I think that's a good idea.

Don't think Tony will be suspended or charged, but I could foresee a civil suit in which Tony would probably just settle, but after seeing the video, Ward played stupid games and won a stupid prize.

Though if Tony ever steps foot in another local track race, he's a moron. In the past year he's been involved in an accident that broke a girl's back, destroyed his own leg, and now this.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This is a VERY common occurrence. The race was under yellow, so the cars were not at high speed. Did he get too close? Probably, but nothing uncommon with it. He didn't jump in front of the car, he was off to the side. No one knows if TS saw him the entire time or at the last minute. But to lay 100% blame on the deceased is short sighted.
If racers walking into the paths of oncoming cars during races is common occurrence then maybe there need to be some changes made. Or maybe it'll just work itself out eventually.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
watching the video makes it much more complicated than "Tony ran the guy over, free pass to jail". Kid was darting up and down the track and that blue car has to dodge out of the way. There was a sprint car caller on a show last night who said you cannot see out the right side of those cars which is why the safety workers will always approach from the left. Said you also will keep revving the engine under caution because it'll die or something otherwise. I still think Tony didn't do all he could to avoid the driver - but in more of a holding his line way instead of swerving at him. It would have been incredibly stupid for Tony to race today, so I'm glad he's not doing that.

I saw someone say they should start suspending drivers who charge at the cars like that (happened in the Nationwide race yesterday as well) and I think that's a good idea.

Don't think Tony will be suspended or charged, but I could foresee a civil suit in which Tony would probably just settle, but after seeing the video, Ward played stupid games and won a stupid prize.

Though if Tony ever steps foot in another local track race, he's a moron. In the past year he's been involved in an accident that broke a girl's back, destroyed his own leg, and now this.
If the blue car hits him this goes from OMG TONY STEWART IS A MONSTER to wow that is an unfortunate accident, and it looks like that was very close to happening from the video.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If the blue car hits him this goes from OMG TONY STEWART IS A MONSTER to wow that is an unfortunate accident, and it looks like that was very close to happening from the video.

exactly, and we can't see where Ward goes after the blue car dodges him - and that car had more lead time than Stewart's.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
If racers walking into the paths of oncoming cars during races is common occurrence then maybe there need to be some changes made. Or maybe it'll just work itself out eventually.

I still don't see from the video where the other driver walked into the path of an oncoming car. He is off to the side.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe you didn't see the part where he got hit by the car.

Oh I've seen it, watched a handful of times. The reason he gets hit with the RR tire is because he is off to the side and TS's car tail whips. Hence, he is not in the path of an oncoming car, he is off to the side.

From Fox Sports article "The video showed Ward to the right of Stewart's car, which seemed to kick out from the rear and hit Ward. "

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Oh I've seen it, watched a handful of times. The reason he gets hit with the RR tire is because he is off to the side and TS's car tail whips. Hence, he is not in the path of an oncoming car, he is off to the side.

From Fox Sports article "The video showed Ward to the right of Stewart's car, which seemed to kick out from the rear and hit Ward. "
And why does the car kick out? I'm going with he was attempting to turn out of the way as much as you can on a dirt track because he was in front of him.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

In the video Tony's car doesn't swerve until after he hits him, and even then Tony's car veers towards the wall and the back end moves left because of the human being wrapped around his right rear tire.

[video=youtube;Ja7TlxpPb_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja7TlxpPb_8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
And why does the car kick out? I'm going with he was attempting to turn out of the way as much as you can on a dirt track because he was in front of him.

from what I saw, it fishtailed after Ward was hit and had resistance on the back tires.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron