Tommy in Des Moines on the radio

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I've heard of this Tommy guy, but I've actually never heard him. What exactly does he do/say that drives people nuts?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I still believe its from smoking Pall Malls non-filter all the time

add in the fact that he is doing everclear shots while smoking and then not having his teeth glued in.

Wow, he is the typical hawk fan

Of course, talk about Homers. I had the misfortune of listening to Miller's show yesterday and he was going off about how he would rather have unproven Jake the snake over Meyer at QB. Jon, if your going to smoke that crap, you probably better eat some breakfast first....:eek:

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
It is not really what Tommy says (obviously drivel), but how he says it. To give you an idea of how he talks, in case you have never had the displeasure to hear him, try this:

1.Get a bunch of chopped up glass, and put it in your mouth.
2.Add some Everclear to your mouth.
3.Gargle incoherently, and sound like you have the intelligence of a fence post, while never actually having any point to make.

What bugs me is how he always gets through. Whether its a call in show, M&M, Deace, Miller, or Soundoff, the clown always gets to voice his opinion. Maybe they answer the calls out of pure pity. As mentioned earlier, he is a probably a Rhodes Scholar when compared to most Hawk fans though.

mg4cy

Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
I like the Gov'nr tried to justify the Iowa basketball loss to ISU a couple of years ago...."it was over before it began", it was "between the players ears", etc. Saying that the reason they lost was not because ISU was better but some psychological issue the Iowa team had before and during the game, but nothing to do with the ISU winning or playing better.....issuing no credit to ISU.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Tommy might be a Hawk fan, but Cyclone fans have their own cross to bare with "Denny from Clear Lake." All I kept thinking last night was "Great....another season of Denny droneing on." It was painfull trying to listen to JP and John Walters be courteous but wanting to get him off the phone. But Denny just kept droneing on about nothing.....

AMEN!!

I had to sit across the aisle from him during football games. Honest to God I nearly got up and strangled him on numerous occasions. :realmad::mad:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
What bugs me is how he always gets through. Whether its a call in show, M&M, Deace, Miller, or Soundoff, the clown always gets to voice his opinion. Maybe they answer the calls out of pure pity.

They let him through because it makes for good radio ratings. Some of the listening audience is probably right in step with what he says, and other people probably tune in just to hear the impending train wreck.

Think about it...Tommy the Hawkeye fan got his own thread on a Cyclone message board...

There's probably a "Tommy" and a "Denny" (or two, or three) in every market. Lord knows there's several of them down here that always get through to bless us with their ranting and raving...

Although, when I was still in Iowa back in the 80's and 90's, Denny didn't really rant and rave. It was more like a prolonged melancholy discourse...

Last edited:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
They let him through because it makes for good radio ratings. Some of the listening audience is probably right in step with what he says, and other people probably tune in just to hear the impending train wreck.

Think about it...Tommy the Hawkeye fan got his own thread on a Cyclone message board...

There's probably a "Tommy" and a "Denny" (or two, or three) in every market. Lord knows there's several of them down here that always get through to bless us with their ranting and raving...

Although, when I was still in Iowa back in the 80's and 90's, Denny didn't really rant and rave. It was more like a prolonged melancholy discourse...

:yes: You nailed it. This guy most likely has a hotline number given to him special by the station.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I am sorry I know he has a speach inmpediment but he has got to be the most annoying caller in the history of sports radio. Everytime he comes on he has some of the dumbest crap to say. Sorry just had to vent. Everytime I hear him call I just turn the station until it's over.

There I am done.

NOT A GOOD START FOR THE CHIZIK RADIO SHOW WHEN THE FIRST CALLER IS TOMMY AND HE ANNOUNCES HE'S A HAWK FAN!!

I wonder if kirkie ferantz put old tommy up to being the first caller?

"Kent State will beat Ia State"...quote by mouthy marty tirrell

Come on Clones make a liar out of old mouthymarty come thursday nite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
He is annoying. Thank GOD he is a Hawkeye fan. I would hate to claim someone like him being a fan of ours.

I can't help but picture 3/4 of Hawkeye fans being just like Tommy after listening to him. I know he calls into Miller at least 4 times a week. If not more.

Thanks bellzisu I wouldn't know that because ... I NEVER LISTEN TO JON "HAWK" MILLER!!!!

OLD AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Tommy might be a Hawk fan, but Cyclone fans have their own cross to bare with "Denny from Clear Lake." All I kept thinking last night was "Great....another season of Denny droneing on." It was painfull trying to listen to JP and John Walters be courteous but wanting to get him off the phone. But Denny just kept droneing on about nothing.....

I AGREE AND THATS WHY I NEVER CALL...

Old & Proud Of IT...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
That just made me laugh out loud and blow snot all over my monitor!:biglaugh:

Remind me, if we ever meet and jokes are being told...to back far, far away from you.

In other news...Tommy is already on hold, waiting for the call-in portion of Marty & Miller's show to start - which usually doesn't happen until around 5pm.

Nice job outta you, Tommy.

May 31, 2007
Central Iowa
Denny from Clear Lake is a great Cyclone fan. IMHO he should not be knocked on these boards for that. He purchases many Cyclone season tickets and has been a big supporter for years. I think we need more fans like him and not less.

No one is "knocking" Denny from Clear Lake for being a great Cyclone fan. He is being "knocked", and deservedly so, for being a pain on the air waves.

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Like him or hate him, Tommy The Gov'nor is staple in the Des Moines sports call-in market.

Seriously, the guy generated a thread with 36 replies and 1,168 views in under 7 hours...that's impressive.

(Side question: Was it Deace that nicknamed him the Governor?)

(Side note: I miss Deace's humor)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah I think it was Deace that made up the Governor thing. I also miss Deace. I cannot stand WHO so I never listen to him anymore.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I have a vivid "Tommy Classic" memory burned into my brain. It was the first time Danny Mac beat Ferentz. Tommy went on a 5 mintue tirad about how EIU should fire ANY coach who can't beat ISU. He was calling for an mid-season replacement. I'm gald he is not one of our fans.

Thought for the day: The next time you need to put a Hawk fan in their place regarding the "elite" status of their program remind them that earlier this decade the OLNY thing that kept them from owning the nation's longest active loosing streak was Ball State.