Title IX podcast -- I don't want to "slip into your DM"

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sorry ladies, but I don't feel comfortable "slipping into your DM" (whatever that means). I love your podcast and often have things I would like to talk about after listening, but I'm social media challenged and prefer to do so on the CF discussion board.

So, I thought I would post a link to their most recent podcast.

Topics included ISU Women's Softball, Simone Biles (gymnastics GOAT), unwritten rules in baseball, and Steph's remarkable baseball chants.

Where to start? How about Steph's baseball chants? That was some sophisticated stuff there. All I remember from my playing days were lame things like "hey, hey, batter swing." I always thought what we did was pretty normal and have never heard someone chant something as involved as Steph's. Anybody else use chants as elaborate as Steph's?

Or how about sideline cheering in general? ISU seemed to have constant chirping, much like some of the gymnastics teams that come to Hilton. Does that really help? Seems like it would get really annoying. Or maybe they just drown it out. If so, why bother? I think constant cheering takes value away from cheering that is actually associated with performance or the importance of particular situations.

I could go on and on, but I'm curious what anybody else thinks about these things (or anything on the most recent Title IX podcast).

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
lol boomer
If you were actually interested, you owe a lot to the boomer generation. Seems like your generation only wants to stand around with your hands out and complain that your feelings are hurt. Get beyond your self centered feelings of importance. FYI it was the boomers that elected Don Smith (not BB) president of student government in the 60's that represented the SDS. I doubt you know that part of history. I assume you also have disdain for your grandparents. Quit trying to degrade those that don't fit your profile.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If you were actually interested, you owe a lot to the boomer generation. Seems like your generation only wants to stand around with your hands out and complain that your feelings are hurt. Get beyond your self centered feelings of importance. FYI it was the boomers that elected Don Smith (not BB) president of student government in the 60's that represented the SDS. I doubt you know that part of history. I assume you also have disdain for your grandparents. Quit trying to degrade those that don't fit your profile.

How do we get people to understand that “Boomer” doesn’t refer to just people designated as being born in the “Baby Boomer” generation?

what would help you, personally, to understand this concept?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Aaaaaand…

tenor.gif

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Impressive.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Sorry ladies, but I don't feel comfortable "slipping into your DM" (whatever that means). I love your podcast and often have things I would like to talk about after listening, but I'm social media challenged and prefer to do so on the CF discussion board.

So, I thought I would post a link to their most recent podcast.

Topics included ISU Women's Softball, Simone Biles (gymnastics GOAT), unwritten rules in baseball, and Steph's remarkable baseball chants.

Where to start? How about Steph's baseball chants? That was some sophisticated stuff there. All I remember from my playing days were lame things like "hey, hey, batter swing." I always thought what we did was pretty normal and have never heard someone chant something as involved as Steph's. Anybody else use chants as elaborate as Steph's?

Or how about sideline cheering in general? ISU seemed to have constant chirping, much like some of the gymnastics teams that come to Hilton. Does that really help? Seems like it would get really annoying. Or maybe they just drown it out. If so, why bother? I think constant cheering takes value away from cheering that is actually associated with performance or the importance of particular situations.

I could go on and on, but I'm curious what anybody else thinks about these things (or anything on the most recent Title IX podcast).
Rehearsed/scripted chanting and cheering seems a bit over the top to me. Only time I can really recall it was at HS Football games or even basketball with the cheerleaders, which generally you couldn't even hear or care to listen to over the general murmuring of the fans in attendance. That stuff feels like it's more for optics than anything else, especially at the college level where sure, they look nice on tv and promotes school spirit, but what are they doing that has any actual value to anyone or anything?

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
How do we get people to understand that “Boomer” doesn’t refer to just people designated as being born in the “Baby Boomer” generation?

what would help you, personally, to understand this concept?
From my understanding it's a degrading term attached to people that have similar views rooted in attitudes of those from that generation. I was not born in that time frame.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
From my understanding it's a degrading term attached to people that have similar views rooted in attitudes of those from that generation. I was not born in that time frame.
For future reference, you're a boomer while not being a baby boomer.

This will not change unless you have a drastic change in attitude.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
For future reference, you're a boomer while not being a baby boomer.

This will not change unless you have a drastic change in attitude.
I trust I never will. I wonder how despairaging you'd be if you have to claim an identity.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Yes, softball players do chanting. It's part of the sport. If that's too much for you, oh my god, take your scandalized sensibilities elsewhere. It's far better than playing by both the rulebook and "the unwritten rules." We have fun. And our games are quick, exciting, and they don't have more throws to first than actual pitches.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes, softball players do chanting. It's part of the sport. If that's too much for you, oh my god, take your scandalized sensibilities elsewhere. It's far better than playing by both the rulebook and "the unwritten rules." We have fun. And our games are quick, exciting, and they don't have more throws to first than actual pitches.

It seems that the chants and rituals, such as after-outs gestures, have become quite sophisticated. I was quite impressed by what I saw during our run in the NCAA's.

I also liked the Missouri hat worn after homers. Unfortunately, I saw it a few too many times.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Ah geeeeeeeeze...
Here we go again...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you were actually interested, you owe a lot to the boomer generation. Seems like your generation only wants to stand around with your hands out

The long legacy of the boomer generation (as a whole) will be being handed everything by the prior generations and pulling up the ladder behind them as they went.