Time for Sanders to be the featured back

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
All he is doing is pushing it outside and out running defenders. Im all for it, it worked great on my ps3. But I'm thinking blocking and play calling are the issues in the run game.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Why? What has he shown you to think that. He has more of a tendency to lose yards on plays than the others. Are you just looking at potential?
He has more 10+ yard plays than the other guys. We need to use him more with screens or short throws on the edge. He had a really nice reception on Saturday.

I think Hansen could be good here as well. His longest run was only 5 yards, but we went outside to the wide side of the field and his speed was evident.

This was Sanders’ best game by a mile and I think his acceleration may make him the guy for this awful line. He’s at least getting to whatever semblance of a hole exists at top speed

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Sanders speed and acceleration gives him high upside but if we keep running inside zone it won’t matter

Largely I agree with this.

With that said, he seems to be the only back that can find the (few) holes inside. The cut he made on his long run was something we hadn't seen from our backs all year. If Sama or Norton were carrying the ball on that play they assuredly would have tried running around the pile, something that hasn't worked well for any of the backs this year.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I know little about Oline play, but after watching the game in person, I rewatched it on TV when I got home, but I focused on the Oline. There were so many times our guys completely wiffed on blocks or got tossed aside like rag dolls, it was pretty startling to me.

Sanders (or any of our other tailbacks) isn't the solution. Better Oline play is.

Nothing is the solution to be honest as it's not likely our line will get much better (this year). But if we are going to run the ball (which we stubbornly will) AND if we are going to have the same line/blocking scheme (again...we stubbornly will) then Sanders has to be the guy. Even if it was a small sample size he's the only one of the backs that's proven to be able to hit/cut into the scant holes up the middle. He at least presents the opportunity of having some really nice runs every 3-4 carries. We've seen what the other two can do and while I really like Sama (long term) I don't think he yet possesses the vision of Sanders.

What Sanders was able to do behind that line was impressive. But yeah, there was one play where Bonifas completely whiffed on his and threw his head back in frustration. That **** seems to be happening on most plays.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Nothing is the solution to be honest as it's not likely our line will get much better (this year). But if we are going to run the ball (which we stubbornly will) AND if we are going to have the same line/blocking scheme (again...we stubbornly will) then Sanders has to be the guy. Even if it was a small sample size he's the only one of the backs that's proven to be able to hit/cut into the scant holes up the middle. He at least presents the opportunity of having some really nice runs every 3-4 carries. We've seen what the other two can do and while I really like Sama (long term) I don't think he yet possesses the vision of Sanders.

What Sanders was able to do behind that line was impressive. But yeah, there was one play where Bonifas completely whiffed on his and threw his head back in frustration. That **** seems to be happening on most plays.
The center gets worked over on pass blocking as well. He needs to be replaced but apparently we don't have anyone else.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I'd go with Sama, because they are all pretty average, and he has the most potential. Might also be the best pass catcher out of the backfield.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Sanders had a decent performance this weekend. It’s really hard to make any declarations though when most running plays the opposing defense is damn near receiving the hand off at the same time as the backs.

I agree with an earlier poster. Getting the RBs the ball in space…in the flat or short drag routes…would be nice. Sama damn near housed the one target he had, and I believe if we can get him the ball in similar situations a few times a game, those are 50/50 house calls.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I thought Sanders looked the most decisive out of the bunch, and by golly with our line play you better be decisive because you don't have much time to make your choice.

The line play is comically bad. I can remember a good half a dozen times they replayed a run and you'd see one or more lineman completely whiff a block and fall forward. Provided zero resistance to their line, which isn't that good.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Left side of line and center not doing well. Some real struggles there.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Pretty sad when that is a breath of fresh air. He wasn’t good. He just wasn’t awful.
Agree. Sanders is not an RB1. Did have a few solid runs.

As others have noted - it is all pretty moot until there is an entirely new offensive line. What I saw Saturday (and confirmed on replay) is that is some of the worst O-Line play I have ever seen in my life. And I have watched a lot of Iowa State football. It is hard to comprehend how often multiple offensive lineman literally whiffed or missed their assignment instantly and consistently. As in, play after play after play, within 0.5 seconds. It was really eerie to watch. And IMHO, it did not improve as the game went on; we popped a few "longer-ish" runs in the 4th quarter partially from luck and partially from OSU defenders simply guessing wrong.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
He has more 10+ yard plays than the other guys. We need to use him more with screens or short throws on the edge. He had a really nice reception on Saturday.

I think Hansen could be good here as well. His longest run was only 5 yards, but we went outside to the wide side of the field and his speed was evident.

This was Sanders’ best game by a mile and I think his acceleration may make him the guy for this awful line. He’s at least getting to whatever semblance of a hole exists at top speed

This is where I'd like to see him get some more touches. I don't mind him running the ball but he definitely looks like a freshmen when he does, and he's not the style of RB I think this team needs in a primary back. A good change of pace guy though.

But he looks like on of the best athletes we have in space, get him a couple more touches a game in the passing game and see what he can do.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I still don't understand why we're running zone. The line can't do it. Maybe they will prove me wrong by the end of the season but we are getting dominated.
It's like running the option. When your line is getting blown up, you end up trying zone blocking (but you usually want lighter linemen who move better) to see if they can get leverage from the side and make a crease for the back. While some people may not like Neal, Bonifas and others; those are the ones I'm thinking the staff will be focusing on since they are younger and don't have as many bad habits reinforced in them from the previous line coach.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Our Oline is poor, I say that so people don't think I'm saying anything else when I say that OSU may be the toughest game to get a handle on our Oline performance. OSU runs a lot of twists and stunts compared to other teams. ISU has always had struggles with OSUs Dline. May seem strange when the games are generally a shoot out, but OSU is also a team that generally has poorer secondary and backer play so it you can get your QB a smidge of time, you can move the ball on them. Gundy has focused his defensive efforts on the Dline throughout his career.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I thought Sanders looked the most decisive out of the bunch, and by golly with our line play you better be decisive because you don't have much time to make your choice.

The line play is comically bad. I can remember a good half a dozen times they replayed a run and you'd see one or more lineman completely whiff a block and fall forward. Provided zero resistance to their line, which isn't that good.
When my Texas Tech buddy is texting me from his Texas lake house how terrible the ISU O-Line is you know its BAD!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The center gets worked over on pass blocking as well. He needs to be replaced but apparently we don't have anyone else.
Bonifas won the job out of fall camp. I'm not sure there is a better answer currently on the roster. I am pulling for him too, as a fellow Dubuquer, but good God it has been dreadful so far watching him and #75 try to do just about anything.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron