Time for Sanders to be the featured back

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It doesn’t matter who is running the ball. All the backs are capable. The line needs to improve.

Line needs to improve or we need to get backs the ball outside more often if they don’t. It can’t just be slamming into a wall even if we had Breece or DM back.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I thought he was far more decisive, and that was a key factor in his success. To be fair, a couple of those runs were blocked better. Possibly the OSU line didn't have the same spring in their step as they had earlier. Either way, I think he has earned a serious look.
This. Both Sama and Norton were hitting the hole way to soft, running indecisively isn’t going to work with a line that isn’t sustaining blocks.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
A big problem we have is the ends of the line breaks down just as quick as the middle. This collapses the pocket before the RB can get out to the edge - and our TE's have shown they need a lot of development to help out in that regard. So we're either going to try running it up the middle and hope for 1-2 yards, or try for the outside and lose 2-3 yards. There aren't a lot of quick fix options beyond recruiting, development, strength, etc.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I actually think Norton sees the field ok, but just seems to lack the burst of speed to hit the hole and struggles to get skinny in between the tackles. His pass catching is also subpar. I think he’d be a great committee/situational back, but I think it’s time to give someone else a shot at RB1.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I think Norton and Sama wait for the play to develop which never happens. Sanders just quickly hits the hole and takes advantage of the microsecond the line is able to hold their blocks.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
From everything mentioned in camp and in practices, Sama has the absolute highest ceiling of any back we've had outside of Montgomery, Hall, and Davis. He showed in the UNI game what he's capable of, but it still takes a competent line to run inside or good blocking TEs to run outside.
Hold the phone, Dexter Green, Mike Strachan, Dwayne Crutchfield, Joe Henderson, Darren Davis, Ennis Haywood, Stevie Hicks, Alexander Robinson, Mike Warren and George Amundsen would like a word.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Hold the phone, Dexter Green, Mike Strachan, Dwayne Crutchfield, Joe Henderson, Darren Davis, Ennis Haywood, Stevie Hicks, Alexander Robinson, Mike Warren and George Amundsen would like a word.
I don’t disagree there are some great backs in that list. The phrasing has always been his ceiling, not when he demonstrates right now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This. Both Sama and Norton were hitting the hole way to soft, running indecisively isn’t going to work with a line that isn’t sustaining blocks.
It is hard to "hit the hole hard" when you are dodging one or two defenders before you even get to the line of scrimmage. On most of those plays I would say, "what hole?"

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It is hard to "hit the hole hard" when you are dodging one or two defenders before you even get to the line of scrimmage. On most of those plays I would say, "what hole?"
Yes the OL was bad. That does mean every RB was running well though and maximizing what was available. Poor OL play and poor RB play are not mutually exclusive.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
IDK if he's dinged but Norton looks in slow motion going towards the LOS sometimes to me. He reminds me of a mack truck - hard to stop once he gets going but he needs a lane to take off

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes the OL was bad. That does mean every RB was running well though and maximizing what was available. Poor OL play and poor RB play are not mutually exclusive.
I agree. However any ball carrier is going to run more tentatively when they are regularly having to dodge a defender as soon as they get the ball. Even when there is no defender there they are going to be expecting one and not run as explosively. It is similar to a QB who is constantly under pressure hearing footsteps on the rare occasion he has time to throw.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I agree. However any ball carrier is going to run more tentatively when they are regularly having to dodge a defender as soon as they get the ball. Even when there is no defender there they are going to be expecting one and not run as explosively. It is similar to a QB who is constantly under pressure hearing footsteps on the rare occasion he has time to throw.
May I introduce you to Barry Sanders? Or Troy Davis? And the list goes on. You're not wrong and , I'm not saying they never played with good offensive linemen but I've seen backs dancing around craptastic offensive lines.

We run so much inside zone I imagine because that is what Norton is good at. He's like Ezekiel Elliot. He's a one cut, foot in the ground, north-south runner.

Problem is, our offensive line is not good at inside / straight up zone blocking. Hence the square peg - round hole comparison.

That's where Sanders is different. Maybe Hansen but the sample size is too small to know for sure on him. Sama might be somewhere in between. If we had earth movers at the POA Norton would probably be our best back. Right now we don't have earth movers though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
May I introduce you to Barry Sanders? Or Troy Davis? And the list goes on. You're not wrong and , I'm not saying they never played with good offensive linemen but I've seen backs dancing around craptastic offensive lines.

We run so much inside zone I imagine because that is what Norton is good at. He's like Ezekiel Elliot. He's a one cut, foot in the ground, north-south runner.

Problem is, our offensive line is not good at inside / straight up zone blocking. Hence the square peg - round hole comparison.

That's where Sanders is different. Maybe Hansen but the sample size is too small to know for sure on him. Sama might be somewhere in between. If we had earth movers at the POA Norton would probably be our best back. Right now we don't have earth movers though.
Hence my comment in post #58.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Sure - and that's why I think Sanders is the best bet. He's no Barry - obvious statement is obvious - but I think he's the most shifty back we have. Maybe Hansen's the 2nd? IDK. Typically returners - receiving backs have that wiggle which is part of makes them good in space and good returners because they can change direction quick and shift weight fast.

Norton seems a bruiser and Sama a track star. Nothing wrong with either but with a below average OL at just moving defenders off their spot, that quick twitch might make a difference between 2nd and 7 and 2nd and 10/11. Neither is overally impressive but its closer to being on track than not

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Remember last year, when based on a handful of runs in the very first game (before he was injured), everyone was declaring him to be the next Troy Davis???

Good times. :cool:
He was anointed pretty early on, a lot of people on here especially wanted Jirehl Brock relegated after those handful of Norton runs in the SEMO game. They got their wish later in the season and I don't think they liked the results so far.

Caveat - I think Norton has potential to be a good RB at Iowa State still. Watching him is not like watching Deon Silas, where it is evident to everyone watching that has the ability to see that he is not a P5 running back. Norton is the type of back that just needs better blocking to get going, and/or be more decisive and hit holes harder, even if they aren't very big holes. This is not a knock, I would say the majority of RB's are like this. It is just becoming clearer that he is not the next 'elite' RB at Iowa State most likely. If his career proceeds to be more akin to say a Stevie Hicks or Alexander Robinson than a Breece Hall or David Montgomery, then that is still pretty good IMO.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Yes. He reminds me of Stevie. Who was and still is one of my favorites.

He's great for short yardage, or if we are able to wear a defense down a little with quicker throws, maybe some tempo and a little bit of running mixed in - he'd be a great 3rd or 4th quarter back if we've got a lead or even just tired out their defense a little bit. I just don't know if he's great as a primary back who is not, at this time, great at reading penetration and or avoiding it when it gets to him quick

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
No need for ISU fans to go to the Barry Sanders comparison. Montgomery (especially) and Hall are great examples of RBs who were so good they found success despite poor OLs. It seemed like Monty was hit in the backfield on half his runs. But we were extremely fortunate to have starting NFL quality RBs for that long stretch, we no longer have that advantage.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Remember last year, when based on a handful of runs in the very first game (before he was injured), everyone was declaring him to be the next Troy Davis???

Good times. :cool:
Lol, that seems a bit drastic. I remember saying he looked good, but declaring him 1 of the top two backs in our program history seems a bit hyperbolic and crazy to me. Surely not "everyone" declared this right?

Reactions: CloneIce

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
All he is doing is pushing it outside and out running defenders. Im all for it, it worked great on my ps3. But I'm thinking blocking and play calling are the issues in the run game.
Their long run in the first half was their guy out running our defenders. Speed is what is needed. I think if they can get Sama in the open he’ll out run most guys.

Reactions: nrg4isu