Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
She is a bit slight.

She looked like a twig standing next to Ionescu the other night. She'll bulk up though. She literally didn't have an offseason
CC is 6’0”, 152. Ionescu is 5’11”, 165

Other guards off the top of head are all Notre Dame alums.

Jackie Young with Aces is same height as CC, 165

Arike Ogunbowale with Dallas is 5’8” and 165

Jewell Loyd with Storm is 5’11” and 175

And Skylar Diggins-Smith with the Storm, who I suspect may have been on CC in first half since she shot terribly, is 5’9” and 140 pounds. Although she worked hard to lose 50 pounds after baby two.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I think the Tavern Hoks would be more interested in the WNBA if it became a form of roller derby.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
  • Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I mean it’s not a dirty play, just a hard intentional foul. If that happens regularly people will be suspicious understandably and other players will come after her beyond what’s typical.
I like the last paragraph about her somehow avoiding any fouls in 33 minutes:

Clark borderline clotheslined Whitcomb while attempting to stop her from getting to the basket. The announcers may not have wanted to come right out and criticize the official, but the shock and laughter from the booth was telling enough. It was a bizarre, missed call at best. It was favorable treatment for Clark at worst.

As Clark works through adjusting to the WNBA on a bad team, she was 6-16 from the field and 2-8 beyond the arc. Despite the poor shooting night, Clark impressively avoided picking up a foul during her 33 minutes on the court.

And yet some Cyclone fans seem to be suggesting she needs to get this favorable treatment for the good of the league.

• Winner
Reactions: GT25Ump

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I mean it’s not a dirty play, just a hard intentional foul. If that happens regularly people will be suspicious understandably and other players will come after her beyond what’s typical.
I've been told that's going to happen regardless.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
On the radio today I heard an eastern Iowa di say “who would have thought the number 1 pick would have started out 0-5”

Pretty much everyone that follows basketball and understands why a team gets 2 number one picks in a row

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I like the last paragraph about her somehow avoiding any fouls in 33 minutes:

Clark borderline clotheslined Whitcomb while attempting to stop her from getting to the basket. The announcers may not have wanted to come right out and criticize the official, but the shock and laughter from the booth was telling enough. It was a bizarre, missed call at best. It was favorable treatment for Clark at worst.

As Clark works through adjusting to the WNBA on a bad team, she was 6-16 from the field and 2-8 beyond the arc. Despite the poor shooting night, Clark impressively avoided picking up a foul during her 33 minutes on the court.

And yet some Cyclone fans seem to be suggesting she needs to get this favorable treatment for the good of the league.
CC's personal fouls so far this season:

Game 1: 4
Game 2: 5
Game 3: 3
Game 4: 5
Game 5: 0

One game out of five she hasn't had at least 3 fouls called on her.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The Fever play their 6th game of the year tonight. I believe they have played every other night since opening night. Meanwhile Kate Martin's team the Aces don't play their 4th game until tomorrow afternoon. Is that just the league front loading the Fever's schedule because of Clark hype, or is it just a luck of the draw thing?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And anyone that understands BB, she is a me first, get my shots ,avoid defense, whine for calls type
She is a me first volume shooter, that's like her entire thing, but she did also lead the NCAA in assists/game for 3 years.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
CC's personal fouls so far this season:

Game 1: 4
Game 2: 5
Game 3: 3
Game 4: 5
Game 5: 0

One game out of five she hasn't committed at least 3 fouls.
took the herkylens off

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
She is a me first volume shooter, that's like her entire thing, but she did also lead the NCAA in assists/game for 3 years.
I don't know if I would consider her me first. Definitely a volume shooter. I just don't know how she could be considered me first when she would have so many assists. At Iowa she called her own number from time to time and probably a solid portion of those times it was ill advised, but Lisa always let her cook. Sometimes when I watched I would come away thinking, sure you can make a logo three, but most teams are going to be ok with you pulling up from there when you shoot like 20% or less from that far out.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't know if I would consider her me first. Definitely a volume shooter. I just don't know how she could be considered me first when she would have so many assists. At Iowa she called her own number from time to time and probably a solid portion of those times it was ill advised, but Lisa always let her cook. Sometimes when I watched I would come away thinking, sure you can make a logo three, but most teams are going to be ok with you pulling up from there when you shoot like 20% or less from that far out.
I would agree, I personally don't mean me first in a bad way, the game plan at Iowa was for Clark to shoot early and often, but she was a very good distributor as well.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It’s amazing how many uncontested 3’s and layups she had in college compared to now. The defense is at a whole other level in the pros.

It’s also why Iowa fans aren’t having as much fun watching her now too…. she’s being defended.

Reactions: Tailg8er