Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Sidebar, I read chartering flights is going to cost the WNBA $25M. The total amount of all WNBA salaries in the league is a little less than $18M.

Rather than celebrating charter flights, why wouldn’t they put that toward salaries. If they split that evenly that would double most players salaries.
I don't disagree. Either way it's a pretty massive positive.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Your post said "yes, the players do 'have it out' for her."

I don't disagree to an extent. But at the same time, if it weren't for her popularity, those same players wouldn't be getting anywhere near the exposure they and the WNBA is getting. Just the truth.
Again, a different topic than mine.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Sidebar, I read chartering flights is going to cost the WNBA $25M. The total amount of all WNBA salaries in the league is a little less than $18M.

Rather than celebrating charter flights, why wouldn’t they put that toward salaries. If they split that evenly that would double most players salaries.
How much do they pay now? Just curious.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Again, a different topic than mine.
Ok I figured it was obvious but maybe not... the connection is that you (and others) are celebrating the fact that WNBA veterans "have it out" for her and are looking to physically punish her because of all of her popularity, all the while if it weren't for her they'd have a fraction of the relevancy, viewership, etc.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
CC was a fabulous college player who could score whether with 3’s or driving to the hole. Her passing and assists were exceptional. Naturally, Media ran with the opportunity and the hype machine was focused on GOAT talk. Corporate America read the polls and CC was smart and has made millions while she is hot. It didn’t take a few games as a Pro to show the obvious in that she is not the GOAT and needs to improve a lot of glaring weaknesses to be considered a top pro. I expect she will improve but she’s got to work very hard. I’m cutting her some slack as she is a 22 year old physical novice going against 32 year old strong talented women. I can’t imagine she will be selected for the Olympics but if she is, the media and corporates are rigging the process.

Reactions: CyNews

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Your post said "yes, the players do 'have it out' for her."

I don't disagree to an extent. But at the same time, if it weren't for her popularity, those same players wouldn't be getting anywhere near the exposure they and the WNBA is getting. Just the truth.
If it wasn’t for her popularity, she wouldn’t be on that team. Those who make investments don’t do that lightly.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If it wasn’t for her popularity, she wouldn’t be on that team. Those who make investments don’t do that lightly.
I guess if you want to chalk up her popularity to being the best WBB player in the country, sure. She's on that team because she was the best player in the draft and they had the #1 pick.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I guess if you want to chalk up her popularity to being the best WBB player in the country, sure. She's on that team because she was the best player in the draft and they had the #1 pick.
Sure. And now she's not automatically the best player in the WNBA. But Hok Homer's must cling to the mistaken notion that she is a transformational and transcendent player. She is not.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Define best. Teams Also draft for need. I could think of different definitions that would allow me to say she was not the best player in the draft a lot of season to go, but she doesn’t look like the best in her draft class.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
“Best” is subjective. Honestly, I think the Fever had no choice, really.

Reactions: carvers4math

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Define best. Teams Also draft for need. I could think of different definitions that would allow me to say she was not the best player in the draft a lot of season to go, but she doesn’t look like the best in her draft class.
Naismith Women's College POY
Wooden Award POY
AP Women's College Basketball POY

She was the best player in WBB, and she was the best overall player in the draft. Sure teams draft for need, CC was obviously not the best C in the draft. But she was easily the best overall player.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
“Best” is subjective. Honestly, I think the Fever had no choice, really.
It was a no lose situation, if she's great then they get a great player, if she sucks nobody would fault you for taking her first, not to mention all the eyeballs, ticket/jersey sales etc. If you don't draft her and she turns out great you'd never hear the end of it.

She was without a doubt one of the best players in the country though, hard to compare someone like her to someone like Cardoso or Brink, they play completely different kinds of games.

Reactions: CloneLawman

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Would the Fever had been better off as a team (not financially or attendance wise), had they traded the No. 1 pick to another team, for let’s say two or three no. 1s and same number of number 2 picks in future drafts? I understand they would have been lambasted and never done that, but they could have almost secured their team’s success for the next five or 10 years. Not counting the fan interest, I think Clark had more value to the Fever as trade bait, than what she brings to the team.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Would the Fever had been better off as a team (not financially or attendance wise), had they traded the No. 1 pick to another team, for let’s say two or three no. 1s and same number of number 2 picks in future drafts? I understand they would have been lambasted and never done that, but they could have almost secured their team’s success for the next five or 10 years. Not counting the fan interest, I think Clark had more value to the Fever as trade bait, than what she brings to the team.
I mean, think what trading Herschel Walker did for the Cowboys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron