Tiller needs a Break.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Tiller wont be the starter next year. You heard it here. Unless he dramaticly improves on passing over that time. The starter will be a Herman recruit. Either Capello, Barnett or Richardson.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So, since Tiller put up absolutely horrible numbers against the worst team we played all year, we should let him play against the likes of Texas Tech, Utah, Texas and Oklahoma? Makes sense to me.

Sawyer

Aug 24, 2010
So, since Tiller put up absolutely horrible numbers against the worst team we played all year, we should let him play against the likes of Texas Tech, Utah, Texas and Oklahoma? Makes sense to me.

Since Arnaud only averages 2 turnovers a game we should let him play right?

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

Yet again, somebody else acting like the 3 INTs from the Iowa game were the end of the world. One more time, ISU was down 28-0 before he threw the first INT. The first 2 INTs came on 3rd downs and the 3rd on a 4th and 12. Maybe just maybe, you could cut the QB a little slack for trying to make a play when the offense has sucked all day long and the team is down by 28? Or we could just continue to pretend that the reason we lost the Iowa game was because of Arnaud's INTs. Yeah, that sounds like more fun.

For his career Austen has a slightly above 1:1 TD:INT ratio (31:29 to be exact). That's definitely not great, but I'm sorry that's a much better track record than what JT has shown on the field in his career. I hate all this debate because it's starting to feel like I'm trashing JT because I hate the kid. I actually really like Jerome. The kid plays his heart out and he's for the most part stepped in admirably when called upon. It all boils down to this though, I think a healthy AA gives this team a better chance to win right now. And until this team is out of contention for a bowl bid, I don't think we can afford to play a QB just to see what we have in him. If we are sitting on 2 wins with only 3 games left to play (and I pray the season doesn't come to that) then I'm all for getting JT as much time on the field as possible.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Tiller wont be the starter next year. You heard it here. Unless he dramaticly improves on passing over that time. The starter will be a Herman recruit. Either Capello, Barnett or Richardson.

I think you will probably be right. Has anybody heard any buzz from practice on how Barnett is doing? Randy Peterson mentioned in his chat that he had heard from a couple people that JB had been playing pretty well. I'm curious if there is anything to that or if it's just maybe some people connected to the program having a serious case of backup QB syndrome.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Being that Tiller throws an interception once every 24 pass attempts compared to Arnaud throwing one once every 29 pass attempts, I'm going to say yeah, Arnaud should play, if healthy.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Until they open the playbook wide for Jerome you can't compare the 2. Tiller is far more athletic, Arnaud is bigger and harder to bring down. They need to let Tiller to continue to get snaps and let him run a little and the pass will open up with him. I think once the dust settles, Tiller is you better option for this year and the future.

Don't you think that there's a reason why they haven't opened the playbook for Tiller? I understand against Nebraska, but as a RS Soph vs UNI? I expected some improvement from last year, but it looked to me like the same Tiller from last year. There's something to be said for being a good runner and not turning the ball over, but with the offenses ISU is going to face, they are going to have to score some points. I think that's worth risking some turnovers with Arnaud.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Tiller is not that bad. he actually can float a ball in over the defense. He was being chased pretty good by the Panthers all night (oline was having problems). Both of our qbs are not diamonds in the rough throwing on the run. Again,, some of the passes were deliberate overthrows to avoid interceptions. Tiller managed the game and it worked out. We did not get behind in the game and have to go to super scramble mode.

Oh, I see, so we can use the Oline as an excuse ONLY for TIller because it'sdifferent when Arnaud plays.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
all right ive been disrespected to many times on Cf since I joined in June. Gone.

Respect goes both ways. I don' t think anyone has accused you of having your lips on someones ****. You on the other hand have accused others of just that.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yes, seriously. Everyone (seemingly) wanted him to get a shot, then he does and they want to give up on him after one game! I want to see what he can do when he settles down, he was obviously jacked up Saturday night and overthrowing everything.

Let's say I was 50/50 on giving Tiller a shot if Arnaud is healthy. The shot he got was against the absolute worst defense we will play all year so I would actually need to see him do something much better than Arnaud to have reason to want him more. Alright, so he did what he did and now I don't want to see him unless there is an injury. He wasn't impressive. It wasn't like he went 7/9 with 90 yards. He threw the ball 22 frickin times. He completed half of them. Let's say 1/4(I think that's generous) were throwaways. That still isn't impressive. Yeah, he didn't turn it over. Whoopity frickin do. HE LED THE TEAM TO ONE TOUCHDOWN. Even that is flawed because they needed a fake FG to do it. If we kick the fieldgoal we don't even get a touchdown.

Oh, so he was jacked up against UNI. I'm sure he won't be like that when he is playing a Big 12 team.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You guys are right. Im the idiot for wanting to get Tiller more than one game of experience before i judge him. :jimlad:
You guys are right Tiller only deserves one game this season and he got. he blew it by having low stats and now its time to go back.

He has had THREE games of experience. 3 > 1. In ALL THREE games he has proven to be ineffective. The only reason why he is sitting at a 2-1 record right now is because the defense has bailed his arse out in the two wins, and was a major contributing factor in his one loss.

Great. He's a QB that doesn't lose us games. If we ran an offensive system such as a triple option or pro set in which power running was the major component to the game plan, and we had a solid defense that resembled Jekyll more often than Hyde, then great - his "not losing us any games" would be a perfect fit and mentality for this team. Unfortunately (at least in Tiller's case), we run a spread offense (not conducive to the "not lose" mentality) and we have a defense that we cannot rely on to win every game for us. Not to mention our receiver play is so bad right now that defenses can key in on shutting down the run.

What that means is our team situation right now is we can't afford to have a QB that operates with the "don't lose us any games" mentality - he has to have the "win us our games mentality". As far as we know right now, we do not have a QB on roster that at this moment is capable of playing with that mentality. Tiller, in all three games, was for the most part a nonfactor, if not a detriment. Capello appears nto to be ready to be that kind of QB (although, for this team's sake, I'm hoping he becomes that kind of QB). And Arnaud clearly isn't that kind of a QB either, however, at least he has shown SOME capability of being able to win through all of his mistakes. In other words, unfortunately, Arnaud is the best option this team has right now, which isn't saying much.

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
Yet again, somebody else acting like the 3 INTs from the Iowa game were the end of the world. One more time, ISU was down 28-0 before he threw the first INT. The first 2 INTs came on 3rd downs and the 3rd on a 4th and 12. Maybe just maybe, you could cut the QB a little slack for trying to make a play when the offense has sucked all day long and the team is down by 28? Or we could just continue to pretend that the reason we lost the Iowa game was because of Arnaud's INTs. Yeah, that sounds like more fun.

You could give him a little slack but throwing TWO interceptions inside the ten when you are going into score isn't something to just ignore!
Yes, the game was over but honestly the game was over when Robinson dropped the first 3rd down pass.

Last edited:

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
Let's say I was 50/50 on giving Tiller a shot if Arnaud is healthy. The shot he got was against the absolute worst defense we will play all year so I would actually need to see him do something much better than Arnaud to have reason to want him more. Alright, so he did what he did and now I don't want to see him unless there is an injury. He wasn't impressive. It wasn't like he went 7/9 with 90 yards. He threw the ball 22 frickin times. He completed half of them. Let's say 1/4(I think that's generous) were throwaways. That still isn't impressive.

Well, that would make him 11-17 for 87 yards with no turnovers...right? That looks to me like a QB that was told to manage the game and not lose it.

Yeah, he didn't turn it over. Whoopity frickin do. HE LED THE TEAM TO ONE TOUCHDOWN. Even that is flawed because they needed a fake FG to do it. If we kick the fieldgoal we don't even get a touchdown.

How many touchdowns did Arnaud lead the offense to in games against Iowa and Kansas State?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Let's say I was 50/50 on giving Tiller a shot if Arnaud is healthy. The shot he got was against the absolute worst defense we will play all year so I would actually need to see him do something much better than Arnaud to have reason to want him more. Alright, so he did what he did and now I don't want to see him unless there is an injury. He wasn't impressive. It wasn't like he went 7/9 with 90 yards. He threw the ball 22 frickin times. He completed half of them. Let's say 1/4(I think that's generous) were throwaways. That still isn't impressive.

Well, that would make him 11-17 for 87 yards with no turnovers...right? That looks to me like a QB that was told to manage the game and not lose it.

Yeah, he didn't turn it over. Whoopity frickin do. HE LED THE TEAM TO ONE TOUCHDOWN. Even that is flawed because they needed a fake FG to do it. If we kick the fieldgoal we don't even get a touchdown.

How many touchdowns did Arnaud lead the offense to in games against Iowa and Kansas State?

We don't get to count NIU? He also wasn't playing one of the worst pass defenses in D1-AA. Those were real teams and BTW he threw one TD pass in each.

Also, that is still only 65 percent completions. La-dee-da.

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
We don't get to count NIU? He also wasn't playing one of the worst pass defenses in D1-AA. Those were real teams and BTW he threw one TD pass in each.

Also, that is still only 65 percent completions. La-dee-da.

I have nothing against Arnaud if he comes out and plays the way he did the first half against Northern Illinois. I thought he played lights out and that he was going to have a BIG year, but something happened after he threw that first interception. He has not even come close to playing the way he was in that game. If he did we most likely would be 3-1 and the Iowa game would have been MUCH closer.

Now if you give me the Arnaud that started the NIU game then I am all for it, but if you give me the inconsistant and turnover prone one....I'll take my chances with Tiller!

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Tiller DOES need a break. Did people seriously expect him to be AMAZING coming off the bench? He did what he was asked. He didn't look great doing it, but it's funny that the same people who want to rip on Tiller for his weak couple of games are also completely disregarding the fact that you are comparing someone's first 3 erratic starts to a 3 year starter's 3 starts. I don't exactly recall Arnaud setting the world on fire coming in to replace Bret Meyer either...

I'm pretty down the middle about the whole thing. AA or Tiller debate won't matter if our line continues to give them no time whatsoever, and we keep taking dumb penalties.

Sawyer

Aug 24, 2010
Tiller DOES need a break. Did people seriously expect him to be AMAZING coming off the bench? He did what he was asked. He didn't look great doing it, but it's funny that the same people who want to rip on Tiller for his weak couple of games are also completely disregarding the fact that you are comparing someone's first 3 erratic starts to a 3 year starter's 3 starts. I don't exactly recall Arnaud setting the world on fire coming in to replace Bret Meyer either...

I'm pretty down the middle about the whole thing. AA or Tiller debate won't matter if our line continues to give them no time whatsoever, and we keep taking dumb penalties.

Very good point. What kind of fanbase throws someone against the wall after his only 3 start of his career. Arnaud has had all the chances he needed and has had a lack of success. Dont get so worried about Tiller. We already know that games wont be won by the QB this season. Tiller knows how to manage the game. and he is better at it than Arnaud.