Throwback Thread: COACHING SEARCH: Wednesday, Nov. 25 evening update

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
I'm not opposed to paying a coach. I just hope we get a guy deserving of 3 million plus and not just paying a guy 3 million because we feel we have to

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Fritz does not even have any Juco's in Georgia Southern's current class. Neither does Campbell. IMO, Juco's are used to fill in for positions of immediate need. Maybe they do not need the Juco's. IDK.

At any rate, the present class for Toledo ranks #62. And Georgia Southern is #75. And ISU is ranked # 80 at this time.

Last year the rankings were Toledo #69....Iowa State #71......and Georgia Southern #93. And Georgia Southern did not sign any Juco recruits.

So it looks like Campbell is able to at least recruit as good or better than us to a MAC school. I would not necessarily worry.

I am skeptical of Campbell's ability to recruit. Ohio is typically battling it out with Georgia for the 4th most FBS scholarship HS players, yet there is only one P5 school that recruits nationally and is not reliant on in state kids. Plus Toledo has better tradition and proximity to the talent vs the other MAC schools in Ohio. Ohio had 132 FBS players out of HS vs Iowas 21.

Texas had something like 490 FBS scholarship players out of HS, and there are what 5 P5 schools and several other FBS schools. There is no place that comes close to Ohio in terms of talent to competition. Oh yeah, and with that similar talent Rhoads should be 2-0 vs Campbell.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If you hire a option centered coach, doesn't it increase the likelihood that, before he ever coaches his first game, Alan Lazard transfers someplace where he will be able to showcase his skills? I can't imagine that kind of PR hit for the program. It puts the new guy behind the 8 ball right away, if it were to happen.

Demaryius Thomas says hi

CaptainCamoBeer

Jan 24, 2007
A Leipold hire could work out, but would GREATLY depend on the staff he would bring with him. His assistants would need to include two or three rock solid, proven recruiters to be worth the risk, moving to the big 12. Does a guy who just arrived in bowl level football from D-III have the connections to make that happen?

I agree with your assessment. I think it could work, but he would need A LOT of help from his staff in the recruiting area.

Spam

May 21, 2008
There are 3-4 top candidates that I am really unable to pick a favorite from. If I am Pollard I hire the guy who is able to promise the best assistants to bring. And I go back to his profile and for every season and look at how he replaced departing assistants.

It was assistants that failed Rhoads (Mangino, Mess). In addition to his ****** personality, it was assistants that failed Chiz (McFarand, Bolt). It was assistants that failed Dan McCarney (Barney Cotton, Marty Fine, Steve Brickey).

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I am skeptical of Campbell's ability to recruit. Ohio is typically battling it out with Georgia for the 4th most FBS scholarship HS players, yet there is only one P5 school that recruits nationally and is not reliant on in state kids. Plus Toledo has better tradition and proximity to the talent vs the other MAC schools in Ohio. Ohio had 132 FBS players out of HS vs Iowas 21.

Texas had something like 490 FBS scholarship players out of HS, and there are what 5 P5 schools and several other FBS schools. There is no place that comes close to Ohio in terms of talent to competition. Oh yeah, and with that similar talent Rhoads should be 2-0 vs Campbell.

We edged out Toledo for Mike Warren because of Terry Ayeni. Mike Warren is from Oklahoma.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
This is like saying that whoever the next ISU coach is produced Allen Lazard. Chan Gailey recruited both of those guys and they played for him before paul Johnson came in.

Calvin Johnson never even played for Paul Johnson, I have no idea how that myth started, I think Chris Williams even stated it as a fact the other day. Calvin Johnson left Georgia Tech after the 2006 season and Paul Johnson didn't come to Georgia Tech until 2008.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Calvin Johnson never even played for Paul Johnson, I have no idea how that myth started, I think Chris Williams even stated it as a fact the other day. Calvin Johnson left Georgia Tech after the 2006 season and Paul Johnson didn't come to Georgia Tech until 2008.

You realize you could have validated this yourself without taking CW as gospel, right?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Fritz does not even have any Juco's in Georgia Southern's current class. Neither does Campbell. IMO, Juco's are used to fill in for positions of immediate need. Maybe they do not need the Juco's. IDK.

At any rate, the present class for Toledo ranks #62. And Georgia Southern is #75. And ISU is ranked # 80 at this time.

Georgia S has quite a few offers out to many juco kids, including some we are recruiting. The talent pool he's at in Georgia he doesn't need to go juco that much...we do.

Last year the rankings were Toledo #69....Iowa State #71......and Georgia Southern #93. And Georgia Southern did not sign any Juco recruits.

So it looks like Campbell is able to at least recruit as good or better than us to a MAC school. I would not necessarily worry.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
You realize you could have validated this yourself without taking CW as gospel, right?
I am not sure what you mean since I already knew this piece of information, which is why I remember hearing CW say it and noting that he was incorrect.

edit: and that wasn't meant to disparage CW, he's busting his *** to keep everyone up to date.

Last edited:

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006

Exactly, we would not get good receivers with a triple option offense.

IGoState

Jan 15, 2011
I've gone from the Matt Wells to Fritz bandwagon for many of the reason you list below. Fritz has won in a few different systems and as evidenced by the results knows how to win/recruit.

The only candidate that would be a massive disappointment in my mind is Alford. I'm not buying what the Buffalo coach crowd is selling.

The ability to recruit talent to Ames...that is the vast majority of concern with this hire. Talent wins..period. Leipold hasn't exactly improved Buffalo recruiting in his year and half. The 2015 and 2016 classes are no diff than 2013 and 2014. Granted it's Buffalo. I'm not saying I like or don't like Leipold. But these current HC have a history in recruiting to go off of. The one coach who has improved his teams recruiting is Fritz. Actually I've seen several recruits CPR is/was going after that had a Georgia Southern offer. That would never have happened 3-4 years ago. What I like about Fritz is he knows the juco market better than maybe any coach in college football. We cannot hire a coach that thinks they have what it takes to jist recruit Hs kids...it will never ever work at ISU(this was CPR downfall IMO, hit jucos too late in his tenure)

I'm really liking Frtiz the more I read. They are a tough football team that runs ball better than anyone and plays great D.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Very true for us, but not the point people are going for by claiming all the great receivers tech has had.

No, they are showing the WRs we do have can still excel and be utilized. The two are not conflicting. Best of both. It is not critical to get playmakers at wr, yet the position is productive if you do.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
What's funny is when the search opens up all of a sudden people name drop like they know dozens of other head coaches and coordinaters. Do you people sit around and follow the actions of mid-major programs? Or do you just regurgitate what cbs sports has said about guys?

And the insights on those programs and their recruiting. It's a stunning level of knowledge.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Not clean cut enought I guess. Probably too brash and not old school enough. Amazing.

I would not be pleased with another overly biblical guy like Prohm for football. Am not anti Christian but the interview I watch with an ISU coach after a win that starts off with "first of all, all thanks to Jesus who makes everything possible"
is the last time I watch anything with that coach involved.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyDude16

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I get so tired of this sanctimonious attitude. The only religious test some people have is "you better not be religious."
Unless you're Muslim.

I know what you mean. I can't even follow our basketball team anymore because of ALL the god stuff... I mean if I had a nickel for every time I've had the very pious Coach Prohm ram religion down my throat I'd still be waiting on my first nickel.

My guess is JP has an extensive list of requirements for next coach and if teaching and instilling character in the players using some sort of faith is on that list then good for us and our players. And I am an atheist and don't give a rip about it.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Truth be told, I'm not too excited about any of the names being discussed. I don't see any home runs. I say lets hire Coach Ayeni as our HC and then he can surround himself with experience. I think Ayeni would be a great recruiter and a great motivator.