Throwback Thread: COACHING SEARCH: Wednesday, Nov. 25 evening update

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
If its true that Pollard has zero interest in Scott Frost then that just further solidifies his incompetence

I don't think he said there was zero interest, but I would rather have someone that actually has experience running a program than an OC with zero head coaching experience. Is Frost and up and comer? Probably, but he has as many question marks about him as a Leipold does without that HC experience.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Reasons Frost should be at or near top of the list:
- Former QB
- Won national championship beating Peyton Manning
- Familiar with Midwest/Ames
- 3rd round NFL pick
- Coached by Osborne, Bill Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, Gruden
- Coached under Chip Kelly
- OC for one of the most prolific offensive programs in the country
- Young, energetic guy wanting to prove himself

Ok ok ok...

- First of all, just because he played QB doesn't mean he's the perfect fit to coach QBs...see Ryan Leaf
- Winning a national championship as a player has no bearing on what type of coach a guy is
- 3rd round NFL pick means nothing...see Ryan Leaf again

Here are a couple other things you might want to think about...

- Zero head coaching experience
- Stepped into a prolific offense and maintained it...he hasn't built anything

His coaching experience under the great names you mentioned is wonderful, but he still hasn't shown he can build a program or lead one. Does he deserve an interview, yes, but there are several coaches that have supposedly shown interest that have proven they can lead a D1 program as the HC.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
A reigious test? That's incompetent and possibly illegal as well, Iowa State being a public institution.

I get so tired of this sanctimonious attitude. The only religious test some people have is "you better not be religious."
Unless you're Muslim.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
On the Leipold thing, has anyone mentioned Fred went from no coaching experience to the NBA in 6 years? Winners are winners and I would not be against this hire if Jamie thinks he is a good candidate.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
On the Leipold thing, has anyone mentioned Fred went from no coaching experience to the NBA in 6 years? Winners are winners and I would not be against this hire if Jamie thinks he is a good candidate.

If Liepold had been in an NFL front office for years I would acknowledge the parallel. Otherwise, this is nonsense.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Willie Fritz at Georgia Southern.

Sounds like Fritz wants the job. IMO, he would be a great fit. Coached HS football in Kansas and Texas. Coached at Blinn JC and knows the Juco's Coached at Central Missouri for years. Has had a winning season almost every year. The guy is 55 and IMO wants a Power 5 job at this juncture in his career. He also runs a good offense that would fit the talents of our players.
could be fritz, but Atlanta is also where the search firm is located......so it may signify nothing specific.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
The more I read about the various candidates, the more my attention gravitates to a guy like Fritz. He's been successful at multiple levels of football, without simply being a caretaker coach, and he has some career connections that I suspect would benefit recruiting.

That said, I don't know enough about his offensive philosophy. Is he purely a triple option guy? Or is he more flexible/diverse than that?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Paul Johnson sits in fertile recruiting turf, plays in an ACC division opposite FSU and Clemson. They are dreadful when they get behind and can't pass.

ISU is best off mirroring a KSU power shotgun spread like they did after the Fat Man was fired, not mirroring a bleeping service academy offense.
Personally, I think the offense we have run the last four weeks is basically the right offense for us. Unfortunately, IMO, it took us 7 years to figure that out. I do think our current offense needs a tight end threat to complete the package. Also, we could do better at clock management......we need to appropriately shorten the game, depending upon the situation. If we had used the clock better in the second half of KSU, it would not have come down to the mismanaged fiasco we ended up with. Multiple times in the second half we snapped the ball with 20+ seconds on the clock. How important would at least a minute less time on the clock have had at the end of the game?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Not going to comment about any of the coaches cause no one can say if it will work or if it wont. All that I do know is the new coach needs to hire top notch assistants. Your assistants can be those great recruiters that we need.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I can't tell you who we'll get, but I can tell you who we won't hire.

1. A coordinator without HC exp.
2. A guy that runs the triple option.

Cross everyone of those names off your list. There's a lot of them.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Man I hope we don't go the Navy or Georgia Southern route. I am so tired of the hype for the triple option. That will be a disaster for us. We are so well positioned with our receivers to be able to finally with a good innovative coach to have a passing game that will be exciting and win games. We waste all that talent with either of these hires. Here is the bottom line with the option offense. You won't have 2 or 3 win seasons, but you also will be stuck forever in the low tier bowl game world. Then when the fan base gets impatient looking for more and you hire a coach who isn't a run run run get ready for 0-12 when your talent doesn't fit. If we go this route I will be so disappointed in Jamie.

seneca4heisman

Nov 22, 2015
Why in the world would we not target Scot Frost if he has interest? That to me is unbelievable. Also, why do people not want Tony Alford? That guy has been learning from a top 3 coach in college football AND has pretty significant ISU ties.
My top four candidates are
1 Alford
2 Frost
3 Schiano
4 PJ Fleck

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If you hire a option centered coach, doesn't it increase the likelihood that, before he ever coaches his first game, Alan Lazard transfers someplace where he will be able to showcase his skills? I can't imagine that kind of PR hit for the program. It puts the new guy behind the 8 ball right away, if it were to happen.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Why in the world would we not target Scot Frost if he has interest? That to me is unbelievable. Also, why do people not want Tony Alford? That guy has been learning from a top 3 coach in college football AND has pretty significant ISU ties.
My top four candidates are
1 Alford
2 Frost
3 Schiano
4 PJ Fleck

If the names we've been given are accurate, it is pretty clear they are looking hard for somebody who doesn't have to learn how to be a head coach. I like Frost and Alford, but they are highly questionable hires from the standpoint of program development. They are both just position coaches, (although Frost is an elevated one,) and good recruiters.

Last edited: