This is on Bowlsby

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
It wouldn't have mattered. The big 10 made many bcs championship games with no championship! It's a excuse they have at their disposal. I assure you if it were ANY other team besides Michigan in the big ten TCU or BAylor would have been selected. All $$$$ Baylor would have most likely played kstate last night anyway.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The first mistake by the committee was putting TCU at #3 and FSU at #4 last week. And don't feed me that ******** about teams 3-6 were basically neck and neck. If that were the case then just put TCU at #4. But, the fact that FSU barely beating GT was enough to vault them over TCU is just messed up. I would have a better understanding of the committee's decision if they had TCU at #4 last week and then just flip flopped TCU and OSU this week. Otherwise, their decision making is skeptical.

Indeed. It was silly to put TCU #3 last week and drop them after they win 55-3. It seemed like the system was designed to avoid what happened. Namely, get four teams in the public eye and let someone play their way out of the playoff. TCU didn't play their way out. Instead the committee essentially made this a one week competition for the spots. It mocks the fact that a team could play their way out with a 55-3 win!

tonyfil

Aug 25, 2013
Des Moines
The Big 12 hitched its wagon to TCU thinking they were going to get in. Now we look completely stupid for not proclaiming Baylor conference champs because they beat TCU head to head. One true champion my a**, how dumb do we look?

Whatever you call it - wouldn't have mattered. Sounded like the committee said Baylor or TCU needed that 13th game for a 12-1 record. 11-1 isn't good enough.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Look @ it this way boys....we in the big 12 are the 5th best conference in the country...lol

FIRE Bowlsbuy and hire a commish with some balls.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Important to note though, if we do expand, nothing says we have to give full shares. We could add a UCF as an investment, and give them a partial share as to not affect existing membership as much.

So why should ISU get a full share then? We take a helluva more $$$ OUT of the Big 12 than we put IN...

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
They did - if in the event of a two-way tie, the winner of the head-to-head matchup is the conference champion. Which means Baylor is the conference champion. The problem is, TCU was #3 in the playoff ranking, Baylor was #6. They thought "no way TCU falls from #3", so instead of following conference bylaws and naming Baylor the official conference champion, or going against conference bylaws and naming TCU the official conference champion because they had the higher playoff ranking, they took the gutless way out and didn't name an official conference champion.

Then Bowlsby is to blame, flat out.

BigJ4CY

Nov 30, 2012
Cedar Rapids
So why should ISU get a full share then? We take a helluva more $$$ OUT of the Big 12 than we put IN...

Exactly. If we let them do that to add two more teams, then in ten years when negotiations on a new contract begin we will be then next team along with Kansas who will only get a partial share.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
For the same reason why there is not yet a conference comprised of Bama, UT, OU, OSU, ND, FSU, USC, UCLA, LSU, etc. NU was getting paid less by the BIG than Purdue when it joined the conference.

One of the Big 12's disadvantages was unequal power between members. That can also be an advantage.

As far as who this is on, it is on the leaders of the Big 12 back in the mid-2000's who thought too highly of themselves (many of which would later leave) and doomed the conference in the popularity contest that is CFB.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think a championship game would have made a difference and got one of them in. The Big 12 should have picked up Louisville and Cinci. when they got West Virginia and TCU.

Baylor defeated a 1 conference loss K-State team last night. That was a conference championship game. Ohio State got in because of how bad they defeated Wisconsin. Wisconsin......a team who had lost to Northwestern and whose best win was over Nebraska.

The key thing is to drop down to 8 conference games and schedule 4 non-conference games. And then you bolster all the teams in your league with another win to inflate their records.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So TCU's loss is to Baylor AT Baylor. What other team in the 4 selected (excluding undefeated FSU) has their sole loss to a team BETTER than Baylor? Nobody, that's who. The playoff w/o TCU is bogus. End of discussion.

Ah, but you allay to facts. Those do not include the human element of money. Need to expand for level playing field. Need two teams outside our small population footprint.

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
The conspiracy theorist in me makes me think that the B1G Offices got in touch with Wisconsin and told them it would be worth their while to lay down in the championship game for just this reason. Ohio $tate is not THAT good and Wisconsin is not THAT bad. That was the only chance that the B1G was getting a team in these playoffs, and low and behold....

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You could say it is on the Big 12 refs for screwing TCU in the first place against Baylor. At least that is one theory (I didn't see the game).

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Selection Committee chair & Arkansas AD Jeff Long just made a smart aleck comment on ESPN that "there was some joking by the committee to have Baylor and TCU play in a bowl so the Big 12 had a championship game."

Yay...great to think that our Conference was a joke to them the whole time.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Jeff Long is what is wrong with the playoff system: Corruption...Cronyism...Geographical Favortism.....Need I go on...

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This really doesn't effect the Big XII at all because Texas wasn't involved.

That being said we all know in the end they found to what they wanted to. The committee chair saying it was about what OSU did and not about what TCU didn't proves it's bogus because FSU did nothing to warrant passing TCU.

They were never going to leave the only undefeated Power 5 conference team out of the playoff, especially when that team happened to be the defending national champions with the reigning Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback. If you ever expected anything else, then this isn't so much a conspiracy problem as much as it's a you problem.

buchacho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Because with 10 team conferences you would play a round robin schedule and already have a conference champion? There's zero need for one. The problem isn't with the NCAA, the problem is our own conference for deciding to not declare the true champion after a round robin schedule and instead getting greedy in backing TCU and Baylor instead of just Baylor.

This is what I don't understand. Yeah, we play a round robin schedule, but it is not a true round robin schedule due to the fact that you don't have the opportunity to play a home and an away game against each team in the league. I think it is silly we can't just stay at 10 teams, and have the two best teams play each other in a conference championship game at a neutral site.