These guys are tough as nails

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Nothing goes right the first half and into the second half. Yet these guys scratch and claw, the coaching staff makes adjustments and the guys respond. I love it, they don't get rattled with a team going lights out on them.

This game must be a tough one to play for our guys for some reason, I have no idea why because all Fred has to do is show them recent history of sucking against UNI. I live in CF and am a graduate of UNI and ISU so I like to see the Panthers do well other than 1 game a year. I hope UNI puts it together and has a great year, but digging out from 3-5 may be tough.

Hats off to our heart and coaches who never let them quit.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Lots of adversity today, a hot UNI team, shoddy officiating, foul trouble, a banked 3 for the tie, and still found the will to win. Love it!

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Mental toughness. This team has it. (except not so much in the first half today)

I don't think it was a lack of mental toughness in the first half, UNI hit shots out of the *****. Shots they weren't hitting all year. Luckily, that averaged out in the second half.

We definitely could of played better in the first half but I think it was more UNI than us.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Lots of adversity today, a hot UNI team, shoddy officiating, foul trouble, a banked 3 for the tie, and still found the will to win. Love it!
Fortunately their poor FT shooting down the stretch helped offset their unconscious 3pt barrage - especially those makes that got them to an 18 pt lead.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't think it was a lack of mental toughness in the first half, UNI hit shots out of the *****. Shots they weren't hitting all year. Luckily, that averaged out in the second half.

We definitely could of played better in the first half but I think it was more UNI than us.

2-7 FTs. 7 TOs. Poor shot selection. Even with their shooting, we should have had 40 PTs.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

At about 13 min mark of first half Fred called TO so he could find someone, anyone who was willing to play D.

Eventually they all did. They just had to get down by 18 to wake up.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What pleased me the most was they didn't let Tuttle's 3 demoralize them. DeAndre got the ball rolling right away in OT with the and-one, and we never looked back.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
These types of wins are always more impressive to me. When you come out flat, don't play well, but still gut out the win, it is always big.

Reactions: peteypie

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Nothing goes right the first half and into the second half. Yet these guys scratch and claw, the coaching staff makes adjustments and the guys respond. I love it, they don't get rattled with a team going lights out on them.

This game must be a tough one to play for our guys for some reason, I have no idea why because all Fred has to do is show them recent history of sucking against UNI. I live in CF and am a graduate of UNI and ISU so I like to see the Panthers do well other than 1 game a year. I hope UNI puts it together and has a great year, but digging out from 3-5 may be tough.

Hats off to our heart and coaches who never let them quit.

I want to know how you live in Cyclone Fanatic because that would be an awesome place to live.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
These types of wins are always more impressive to me. When you come out flat, don't play well, but still gut out the win, it is always big.

I agree, it's a lot like a pitcher who doesn't have his good stuff but still grinds out six innings with just his fastball. This type of games will happen a few times a year, the way they responded shows more than blowing out UNI ever would have. I was fairly happy that ISU made it a game, and am elated that they won. This team has heart.