The Wide Right & Natty Lite guys not Mess fans I take it?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Speaking of Sam Elliott, it's been way too long since the Sklar Brothers have had "him" on the County/Country.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Rhoads could say to Messingham "Next interview you give, you're fired."

(and even if you don't give another interview, you're fired)

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Let me start by saying most of Mess' play calls suck.... but I can't really say I disagree with his comments.

You don't think these coaches tell the players the same thing? You don't think they keep pounding in the QBs head to get rid of the ball quickly because the o-line cant sustain a 3 second block?

Mess is transparent, he tells the media the same thing he tells his players. Coaches don't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to beat around the bush... if he thinks the QB needs to throw it once he makes his 3rd step, well albeit Sam better be throwing the ball to a receiver, or out of bounds, on his third step.

Last edited:

CDN_Tailgater

Apr 11, 2006
Here is my thing with Mess, yes if every play is executed by design we would put up 40+ points every week. But as the OC you have to call the plays that can be executed based on your players abilities and what the defence is giving you....Strictly from the offensive side of the ball Its is so frustrating seeing teams like Indiana for example just rack up yards and points with ease. Then Texas Tech brings on a True Freshman Walk-On at QB and they have no problem putting up points and yards. These OC's know what they have in their players and build a gameplan that can be executed and be successful.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I concur, he needs to shoulder blame. I know Rhoads does, but Ive never seen Mess say they need a coaching improvement.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I concur, he needs to shoulder blame. I know Rhoads does, but Ive never seen Mess say they need a coaching improvement.

This right here. I can only think of times this year where Mess shifted the problems on the players. And not a coaching/play calling deficiency.

I don't expect him to come out and say he sucked. But something like, "What we are doing right now isn't working. So we need to find out what we can do, so I can call plays that our guys and the coaching staff know we can run successfully."

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
All these threads about Messingham - what if Rhoads keeps him? What then?

Obvious:

let%27s+burn+this+mother+down.gif

:jimlad:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
So why not shoulder that blame when talking to the media. Instead of "Sam needs to do a better job of getting rid of the ball" a simple, "We need to do a better job of emphasizing the importance of Sam getting rid of the ball in a timely manner."

This. Instead of calling out players by name, just say "we" need to do a better job. Not "Sam needs to" or "Grant took a sack".

"Sam hasn't played up to the potential I think he has." Why say this? Why not "Sam is coming along nicely especially considering his injury."?

As others have said, combine this with some of his past statements and it makes it look like he doesn't want to take the blame.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This. Instead of calling out players by name, just say "we" need to do a better job. Not "Sam needs to" or "Grant took a sack".

"Sam hasn't played up to the potential I think he has." Why say this? Why not "Sam is coming along nicely especially considering his injury."?

As others have said, combine this with some of his past statements and it makes it look like he doesn't want to take the blame.

From what I have seen, Sam was making his decision in 1.41 seconds till the bull rush came through. Now Coach Mess wants him to do it in 1.11 seconds.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
All these threads about Messingham - what if Rhoads keeps him? What then?

Rhoads will have to explain it to JP who is not afraid to fire a head coach if fan support is dropping off.

Edit: For the record I do not believe Rhoads is dumb enough to keep Messingham next year.

Last edited: