The Other Place in Ames

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Ames could definitely use another, not enough choices when it comes to auto parts. Especially on S. Duff.

I also really need a mattress, but don't know where in town I can get one.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Does anyone know what they are building at the old Happy Joes land?

New strip center, here is the real estate info: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18706340/705-S-Duff-Ave-Ames-IA/

Photo.jpg

They're trying to get a new signalized intersection installed there which would make for better access to walmart off of Duff as well, but there is some pushback from other businesses in the area due to a raised median that will go along with the project (DOT will not allow project without the median)

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Does anyone know what they are building at the old Happy Joes land?

Not sure about that, could just be prepping the site. I thought it was going to be a PepperJax but that is opening in the spot where Aspen Leaf FroYo was.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Considering Great Plains isn't anything to write home about...and with the demise of Old George's, Ames needs a good pizza joint.

Reactions: Angie

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Would love to have the OP in AMes! I am not a Greta Plains fan but I do love Joe's Pizza.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
There will also be another area location of The Other Place following close behind the completion in Ames, but I am not at liberty to say where yet.

There's been rumor going around Ankeny for a couple months that an OP is coming. This needs to happen

twnp3rd

Feb 24, 2014
I'm a fan of the OP but I don't know about another pizza place in Ankeny. We already have Wheelhouse, Wig and Pen, and Benchwarmers. I do like the idea of another sports bar though.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I'm a fan of the OP but I don't know about another pizza place in Ankeny. We already have Wheelhouse, Wig and Pen, and Benchwarmers. I do like the idea of another sports bar though.
I guess i dont think of the O.P as a pizza place. They have decent pizza for sure but there are a bunch of other things that I usually order. What Ankeny does need is some dining options on the north side so those of us who live up here have more than just sports page we can stagger home from if the need arises. Sportspage is tolerable but that's about it for dining on the north side of town unless you count the HyVee buffet

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
That's surprising on a couple different levels. The stories I've heard about the state of cleanliness in that place are pretty horrifying.

I worked there for a while during college. It wasn't too bad. No worse than the Pizza Hut I worked at in DSM during HS.

Problem with Gumby's at the time was that the manager was a jerk. He ticked off most of the people that worked for him so they didn't work there long, just like me.

Gumby's would have done better if they were closer to campus and could have gotten some walk in business after bar closing. Gumby's was completely dependent on oft-times stoned delivery drivers who weren't always consistent.

Pokey sticks were mana from the gods though. Many nights I was able to take some home with me after work and go to town on them.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I think they figured out after college in Waverly that they could make a ton off me. Moved in right beside my office in Clive and now (hopefully) in ANkeny

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
Chili gumbo!

I guess i dont think of the O.P as a pizza place. They have decent pizza for sure but there are a bunch of other things that I usually order. What Ankeny does need is some dining options on the north side so those of us who live up here have more than just sports page we can stagger home from if the need arises. Sportspage is tolerable but that's about it for dining on the north side of town unless you count the HyVee buffet

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Not sure about that, could just be prepping the site. I thought it was going to be a PepperJax but that is opening in the spot where Aspen Leaf FroYo was.

PepperJax is stupid for not waiting until the development on Welch/LW is finished. If they were anywhere near Campustown, they would kill. All of those new buildings are supposed to have commercial on the ground floor. They could print money if they were right next to campus and the bars.