The Other Place in Ames

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I love OP...this would make me mad that they didn't do this when I was in school, but happy for when I come back to visit!

OP in Ames would be a gold mine.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
I can say with 100% certainty that this is not just a rumor. There will be an OP going in where Carlos was.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Anyone else hear the scuttlebutt about The Other Place going in where Carlos O'Kelley's used to be? I've only been to The OP once in Clear Lake but I liked it. Anyone else hear this rumor, hopefully it's not like the Olive Garden rumor, or the Country Buffet rumor.

Talked to a fairly connected local businessman yesterday and he told me the same thing. Seems like it is going to happen.

cyfan964 said:
I too have been told of the OP moving in to Carlos' old casa. Would be a great addition to Ames.​

Seems like there is a chance this rumor might be true, although there were multiple posters that said they heard Olive Garden was coming too.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I can say with 100% certainty that this is not just a rumor. There will be an OP going in where Carlos was.
Thank you, Internet Stranger. Looking forward to this for sure, although I was hoping for an auto parts store so I wouldn't have to drive all the way to the auto part mile on Duff.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
There will also be another area location of The Other Place following close behind the completion in Ames, but I am not at liberty to say where yet.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

Any word on how long it will take them to open, wouldn't think it would take too long to remodel the Carlos O'Kelley's? Maybe by the end of fall semester?

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Thank you, Internet Stranger. Looking forward to this for sure, although I was hoping for an auto parts store so I wouldn't have to drive all the way to the auto part mile on Duff.

Ames could definitely use another, not enough choices when it comes to auto parts. Especially on S. Duff.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Any word on how long it will take them to open, wouldn't think it would take too long to remodel the Carlos O'Kelley's? Maybe by the end of fall semester?

I wish I knew the timeline, but I don't. I'm not sure it would matter anyways, because the Clive location took longer than expected to open up as well.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Ames could definitely use another, not enough choices when it comes to auto parts. Especially on S. Duff.

Wait, I think a mattress store would be slightly better than an auto parts store. Maybe there's enough room for both.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
There will also be another area location of The Other Place following close behind the completion in Ames, but I am not at liberty to say where yet.

Perhaps the west Ames location Wallaby's is vacating soon?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What if my good friend Mr. Washington was asking?

Onedolar2009series.jpg

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I once ate an XL Pokey Stick by myself one over the course of an hour. Not sure what is more amazing: I wasn't drunk and I didn't get sick. I miss Gumby's. They were the first restaurant that I put into my contacts list in my cell phone.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I once ate an XL Pokey Stick by myself one over the course of an hour. Not sure what is more amazing: I wasn't drunk and I didn't get sick. I miss Gumby's. They were the first restaurant that I put into my contacts list in my cell phone.

That's surprising on a couple different levels. The stories I've heard about the state of cleanliness in that place are pretty horrifying.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
It won't be in Ames, and it is being built from the ground up...not taking over any vacated buildings.

Another Des Moines location? My guess would be either Ankeny or Altoona (new outdoor mall by Bass Pro)

Last edited: