The Other Place in Ames

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
When did Old George's close? I loved going there.

It moved twice - once from Main St down to South Duff, then over near the bball practice facility. I think it closed about... five or six years ago? :( It makes me want to cry, it was so good. The one in Nevada is still open.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
It moved twice - once from Main St down to South Duff, then over near the bball practice facility. I think it closed about... five or six years ago? :( It makes me want to cry, it was so good. The one in Nevada is still open.

I remember eating there when it was still on Main St. Come to think about it, it's coming up on 10 years since I lived in Ames. Woof.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I remember eating there when it was still on Main St. Come to think about it, it's coming up on 10 years since I lived in Ames. Woof.

A TON has changed in the last decade, it sort of blows my mind that it's changed so much.

TRZA - yes, I believe it opens this weekend?

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA

I worked at Mid American Manufacturing in Nevada through college and We frequented the one in Nevada quite often. it was amazing, but anything edible in college was amazing.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I worked at Mid American Manufacturing in Nevada through college and We frequented the one in Nevada quite often. it was amazing, but anything edible in college was amazing.

There isn't a ton of great thin crust pizza around, but George's fits that niche!

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Im drawing a blank but I know I ate at the one on South Duff a long time ago. Where was it at again?

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
anybody know if the Minsky's Pizza that are in KC now, are the same ones that use to be in Nevada/Ames, loved Minsky's wish it was still around...also the OP pizza is really good too!

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
The OP is great and I am happy for you to have one, and imma let you finish your pizza. But Taste of New York Pizza out by Jordan Creek is some of the greatest pizza of all time.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
They are having a Family and Friends Cold Open this Thursday/Friday. Should be open to the public very soon thereafter...probably the next week sometime.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Im drawing a blank but I know I ate at the one on South Duff a long time ago. Where was it at again?

Yep, Taco Bell is there now. Used to be Gregory's Coffeehouse.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Old George's had very good gyros when it was on Main St.

Angie, thin crust in the metro:
Leaning tower - Ankeny
Orlondos - Des Moines (Waterworks)
Sonnys - Saylor township