The Last of Us HBO series

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Maybe that's fair, I haven't played the game and I haven't looked up anything that is to come so this might be important going forward. I'm just saying, a travel narrative is a propulsive narrative and if you're going to take me out of that, I don't want to be shown something that I already know the outcome of. For the first time on Sunday I spent about half the show on my phone. I haven't been tempted to second screen so far during this show at any point, and this time it could hardly keep my attention.

Prior to this episode, if I said there were 3 animating things about Ellie it's that she's been abandoned or lost everyone important in her life, she got bit and didn't turn, and she's got an (understandable) bit of a messiah complex. Maybe we learned something important that is to come, but I don't know what that might be and IMO that's not good storytelling.

It might not be fair because the Bill and Frank episode might be the best episode of TV we've seen in the last few years but we already got taken out of the story once for Bill and Frank. We didn't know what was going to happen with Bill and Frank. Everybody knew exactly what was going to ultimately happen as soon as Ellie went in that mall.

I agree with you. It was the slowest episode of the season but it was still an above average hour of a tv series. IMDB ratings (7.7 compared to 9.1 for the average of the show) would agree. We didn’t learn anything significant that was new and, unlike the Bill and Frank episode, there wasn’t much suspense or wonder about what would happen. But we did get some good Ellie backstory. In a 9 episode season, it felt a bit filler-ish but I still enjoyed it.

Reactions: legi

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree with you. It was the slowest episode of the season but it was still an above average hour of a tv series. IMDB ratings (7.7 compared to 9.1 for the average of the show) would agree. We didn’t learn anything significant that was new and, unlike the Bill and Frank episode, there wasn’t much suspense or wonder about what would happen. But we did get some good Ellie backstory. In a 9 episode season, it felt a bit filler-ish but I still enjoyed it.

Keep in mind that the second lowest rated episode is episode 3, which got review bombed by a certain segment butthurt about gay characters. The same segment appears to be doing the same review bombing for episode 7 with the large number of 1* reviews

Screenshot_20230228_101131_Chrome.jpg

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Keep in mind that the second lowest rated episode is episode 3, which got review bombed by a certain segment butthurt about gay characters. The same segment appears to be doing the same review bombing for episode 7 with the large number of 1* reviews

View attachment 110203
Episode 3 was one of the best episodes of television I’ve seen in awhile. No doubt there are some weirdos with agendas influencing these.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

View attachment 110203

Good point and agree. But Episode 7 couldn't hold a candle to Episode 3 and I think everyone would agree. I don't think many would disagree with that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Good point and agree. But Episode 7 couldn't hold a candle to Episode 3 and I think everyone would agree. I don't think many would disagree with that.

Thats a pretty high bar though considering episode 3 was probably one of the better episodes of tv period in awhile. If you took the review bombers out of the averages you'd probably see episode 3 as the highest rated episode of the series and this one about in line with the rest of the episodes

Reactions: Bigman38

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Think the show was been very good but the last episode really dragged. Took 3 attempts to make through the episode.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Maybe that's fair, I haven't played the game and I haven't looked up anything that is to come so this might be important going forward. I'm just saying, a travel narrative is a propulsive narrative and if you're going to take me out of that, I don't want to be shown something that I already know the outcome of. For the first time on Sunday I spent about half the show on my phone. I haven't been tempted to second screen so far during this show at any point, and this time it could hardly keep my attention.

Prior to this episode, if I said there were 3 animating things about Ellie it's that she's been abandoned or lost everyone important in her life, she got bit and didn't turn, and she's got an (understandable) bit of a messiah complex. Maybe we learned something important that is to come, but I don't know what that might be and IMO that's not good storytelling.

It might not be fair because the Bill and Frank episode might be the best episode of TV we've seen in the last few years but we already got taken out of the story once for Bill and Frank. We didn't know what was going to happen with Bill and Frank. Everybody knew exactly what was going to ultimately happen as soon as Ellie went in
I really liked the game but this just didn't work on TV for me. When playing the game I was putting the hours in and flying through it. For a weekly TV series it feels like the story didn't progress for a couple weeks. Curious if I'd feel different if watching all at once.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
This show is starting to remind me of the GOT episodes when the Hound was traveling with Ayra Stark.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Yeah, I was liking this early on, starting to lose interest. The girl that plays Ellie is starting to annoy me for sone reason.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'd been looking forward to this chapter for awhile. It was absolutely brutal in the game.

The episode did not disappoint. The actor who played David did a great job of capturing that creepiness that he had. And Bella Ramsey really showed us Ellie's violent side (something people have been concerned whether she could handle in Pt2).

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Now this was a great episode. I don’t know anything about the rest of the story but it feels like this is a turning point for Ellie where she goes from an immature smartass to a full blown bad ass that can be the next great leader of the remaining humans.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
It's a great episode but it's kind of a bummer they are consistently dropping moments with the infected in favor of adding background for side characters.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
It's actually pretty amazing how much they've minimized the interaction with the infected in the series. It's so much better than the walking dead's common plot device of "oh we're just out here walking around for reasons, oh ****, zombies are surrounding us, how could we have ever heard them"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's a great episode but it's kind of a bummer they are consistently dropping moments with the infected in favor of adding background for side characters.

There are a lot of comps with Walking Dead which itself is an homage to Dawn of the Dead/Romero stuff.

With that said, the Walking Dead's downfall was this particular Last of Us episode would have been 5-15 episodes once AMC knew it was a hit and tried to milk it. There was a very similar TWD story and I'm pretty sure it was almost an entire season. Worse yet there were 4-6 episode arcs where nothing happened or they intentionally slowed down pace compared to the comics source material.

This show will probably be epic if it is 30ish episodes at the current pace. Unlike Walking Dead where I had read the comics, I've never played this game. It seems they are keeping spirit of the game but changing some small details from what the creators say in the feature after each episode.