The end of Oak-Elm?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Dorm system was full just a few years ago. Are that many students living off campus now?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The memories of working in Oak-Elm food service, the floor parties, walking out of girls dorm at 7 am in the morning. Food service was a blast!!

Reactions: cyclones500

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
D'oh. Just saw that there is another post already on this topic. I tried searching for oak elm but the words are too short...

Feel free to merge.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That's too bad, I lived in BWR and loved the feel of that circle of campus. Very East Coast college feel when I first toured it. The Dorms with the big open grass area for activities was fun/easy for a freshman to get involved with other students, and being in BWR we usually matched up with Oak-Elm. My future wife first lived in Oak.

Although I don't have "memories" of it directly, I do think it'd effect the feel of campus if they just demo'd those dorms.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That's too bad, I lived in BWR and loved the feel of that circle of campus. Very East Coast college feel when I first toured it. The Dorms with the big open grass area for activities was fun/easy for a freshman to get involved with other students, and being in BWR we usually matched up with Oak-Elm. My future wife first lived in Oak.

Although I don't have "memories" of it directly, I do think it'd effect the feel of campus if they just demo'd those dorms.

Would they demo them or just mothball them? Wouldn't be that hard to just drain the pipes and lock the doors for a yr.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Would they demo them or just mothball them? Wouldn't be that hard to just drain the pipes and lock the doors for a yr.
Fair point, and I guess that is just where my mind went. Nothing that says they would.

Lots of space just sitting unused, though. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Even though enrollment has receded it is still high by historical standards. I think the biggest thing is that it’s cheaper to live off campus and there are a lot of apartments.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
There are 3,000 fewer students than there were 3 years ago.

For sure. But 3 years ago, they were opening Geoffrey Hall and renting out the high rise that had Legends at the top and counting that as a dorm. And they still had kids living in commons areas. IMO the issue is bigger than just enrollment being down.

• Agree
Reactions: MNCYWX

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
If these buildings have had very limited updating since 1938, it is no surprise that in 2020 few teenagers want to live there.

I also believe it is not that much less expensive to live there than at the newer/updated facilities. Seems to me these buildings could be made into a more affordable housing experience for students and families looking to save on housing. Frankly, housing often is the most expensive aspect of attending ISU.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
The memories of working in Oak-Elm food service, the floor parties, walking out of girls dorm at 7 am in the morning. Food service was a blast!!

That brings back memories. I lived in Stewart house on 3rd floor of Linden. Used to cheer on girls doing the walk of shame.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006

Help Support Us

Become a patron