The end of Oak-Elm?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Walked out or kicked out naked?

Walked out. Girlfriend was usually in a long t-shirt. Pretty convenient though, finish working my dinner shift at food service and go up to her dorm room.

We used to take ice from the ice machines and take it to our dorm floors to keep the kegs cold at our house parties.

We would go back in the kitchen during our breakfast shift and go into the walk in coolers and eat cookie dough or desserts they were making.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Walked out. Girlfriend was usually in a long t-shirt. Pretty convenient though, finish working my dinner shift at food service and go up to her dorm room.

We used to take ice from the ice machines and take it to our dorm floors to keep the kegs cold at our house parties.

We would go back in the kitchen during our breakfast shift and go into the walk in coolers and eat cookie dough or desserts they were making.
Cute story. I feel like your leaving out critical details but I can fill in the blanks

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Cute story. I feel like your leaving out critical details but I can fill in the blanks

Yjso.gif

• Funny
Reactions: JM4CY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
College enrollment is down across the Midwest. Numbers of available students keeps decreasing in the Midwest. A drop of 3k seems big, but most schools in the state are seeing similar percentages drops. As for wanting to live there...students today are spoiled and only want the best living quarters. Apartment style dorms or a new apartment. They need all the amenities their parents have worked a lifetime for before they even finish school.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Escaped some student officers in oak elm once, I mean friends did.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
College enrollment is down across the Midwest. Numbers of available students keeps decreasing in the Midwest. A drop of 3k seems big, but most schools in the state are seeing similar percentages drops. As for wanting to live there...students today are spoiled and only want the best living quarters. Apartment style dorms or a new apartment. They need all the amenities their parents have worked a lifetime for before they even finish school.
If you had a choice, which would you choose? There’s always been dorms people wanted into.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
There are 3,000 fewer students than there were 3 years ago.
Yeah it topped at 36,001, and then dropped substantially (factoring in Fall graduation) for the following spring semester. I don't think there has been any issues with housing since.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I graduated in 2017 and my first year there, girls were living in the dens in Oak-Elm because there weren’t enough actual rooms. Crazy to think they might shut it down because not enough girls are living there now.

Sad because conversations (in Oak-Elm basement) was arguably the best place to get food on campus.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The memories of working in Oak-Elm food service, the floor parties, walking out of girls dorm at 7 am in the morning. Food service was a blast!!
That's where I ate my freshman and sophomore year. Just a short walk from BWR to get my meals. Was way less chaotic than Friley which was brand new my sophomore year I believe? Any rate have fond memories of that cafeteria.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

progress is great.

2017Cyclone

Dec 1, 2017
I think there's a few factors in play.
1. the most obvious that enrollment is down.
2. there have been so many brand new apartments built which provides a lot of options.
3. Like some have mentioned before the dorms aren't exactly cheap anymore and their isn't much price difference between new and old.
4. There is definitely a shift an interest from current college age kids wanting the suite/apartment style dorms. This also is like within the last couple of years trend.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

I'd imagine current situation with coronovirus won't help....this past month or two probably prime recruiting time for students....can't recruit in China and other countries.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Fall 2015: 36,001
Fall 2016: 36,660
Fall 2019: 33,391

I had not paid attention as it seemed like we were just getting the record enrollment tweets and threads. It looks like we've seen peak enrollment along with sports almost exactly in late 2015. Demographics are impossible to change.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Does this mean I don't have to return my overdue book to the Oak library? They used to have a little library and lobby area at the main entrance. Back in the days of house mothers and visits in gals rooms had to be with an open door. Book is only 50 years overdue. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: SoapyCy

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think there's a few factors in play.
1. the most obvious that enrollment is down.
2. there have been so many brand new apartments built which provides a lot of options.
3. Like some have mentioned before the dorms aren't exactly cheap anymore and their isn't much price difference between new and old.
4. There is definitely a shift an interest from current college age kids wanting the suite/apartment style dorms. This also is like within the last couple of years trend.

If dorms were ever cheap, it hasn’t been in the last 20 years. The only value added was proximity to campus, having someone prepare your crappy meals for you instead of doing it yourself, and socialization for Freshmen. I looked at Freddy when it opened (RIP Hawthorne Court), but it was more expensive than comparable apartments.
The building boom/bust cycle is hysterically predictable. I wish I could have shorted apartments 3 years ago.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron