The Daily Effing Grind

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’m married but I’m still young and have yet to experience a lot, however over the past year of this pandemic, I kept going through phases of unhappiness. Something that helped me IMMENSELY, was making daily to-do lists. On these to-do lists were not huge projects that’d take hours or anything. They’d be simple like do the laundry, do the dishes, workout, etc. It wasn’t because I was forgetting things, it was more because crossing things off gave me a sense of purpose, even with small stupid tasks.

I started doing the exact same thing at work. I now have a list I write every day with things I will try and get done. Usually have 7-10 things on the list each day that differ from the day before. The same thing happens in that I feel like I’ve done a lot and accomplished a lot.

That’s just how my brain works and it’s really helped me mentally so I thought I’d respond.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I realize it's not possible for everyone, but some of you might need new jobs. If work stresses you out that much, maybe it's not the right job for you. I love my job and even with the pressures that come with it, I enjoy what I do.
It's fine. Not a great job, but nothing I wake up every morning and it's gut wrenching to get out of bed or anything. It actually has a lot of perks, consistent hours, off most weekends and holidays etc. I guess where the issue lies for me is that it just occupies too much of my time. 40 hours a week and anywhere from 4-12 hours of OT generally, which may not seem bad to some people, but it really infringes upon my me time. I generally had no issue with it all until we had our little one last June, that has been a game changer and probably just haven't figured out all the quirks yet.

Wife works too, very similar schedule, and by the time we are done working for the evening, we are both pretty worn out and don't even have energy to consider a night routine outside of dinner and getting the baby to bed. We basically live for the weekends.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It's fine. Not a great job, but nothing I wake up every morning and it's gut wrenching to get out of bed or anything. It actually has a lot of perks, consistent hours, off most weekends and holidays etc. I guess where the issue lies for me is that it just occupies too much of my time. 40 hours a week and anywhere from 4-12 hours of OT generally, which may not seem bad to some people, but it really infringes upon my me time. I generally had no issue with it all until we had our little one last June, that has been a game changer and probably just haven't figured out all the quirks yet.

Wife works too, very similar schedule, and by the time we are done working for the evening, we are both pretty worn out and don't even have energy to consider a night routine outside of dinner and getting the baby to bed. We basically live for the weekends.

This could be a problem of burn out.

If you think about, the typical work week breaks down to something like this

8 hours of sleep
9 hours of work (assume one hour for lunch)
1 hour of getting ready in the morning
1 hour of commuting to work (assume 30 minutes one way)
1 hour of making dinner and eating
1 hour of chores

That right there comes up to 21 hours, leaving only three hours a day for personal time. If, you include your overtime to that, you've eaten up your three hours left to yourself.

My first job, out of college, I worked a lot of overtime. From there on out, I focused on jobs that provided more time to myself and less to the company. My goal is to make the most amount of money in the shortest time possible. And for the most part, I have accomplished that. I am currently in a job where my salary is the highest, and I strictly work 40 hours a week. This may get even better as we may be moving to a mixed WFH and in office schedule in the future, allowing me to spend some time doing chores during my work day.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Literally shut off your phone for 1 weekend. Try it. I'll bet most of you can't do it.

About 4 years ago, my old phone crapped and I took my time getting a new one. I seriously went 30 days without it and I never missed it. It was glorious not dealing with text messages, etc. I eventually HAD to get it replaced because I was going to summer camp with my son's scout troop for the week and was going to need it to communicate with other parents.

The phone and social media are a colossal waste of time. I agree with a lot of the other posters on here. Stay away from CNN and FOX. STAY AWAY FROM NEGATIVE PEOPLE.

Unplug and go outside. Go to a gym. Read books.

Reactions: CascadeClone

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I’m married but I’m still young and have yet to experience a lot, however over the past year of this pandemic, I kept going through phases of unhappiness. Something that helped me IMMENSELY, was making daily to-do lists. On these to-do lists were not huge projects that’d take hours or anything. They’d be simple like do the laundry, do the dishes, workout, etc. It wasn’t because I was forgetting things, it was more because crossing things off gave me a sense of purpose, even with small stupid tasks.

I started doing the exact same thing at work. I now have a list I write every day with things I will try and get done. Usually have 7-10 things on the list each day that differ from the day before. The same thing happens in that I feel like I’ve done a lot and accomplished a lot.

That’s just how my brain works and it’s really helped me mentally so I thought I’d respond.
I like having task lists as well. I even break tasks down further such as laundry, (run washer, switch laundry, fold clothes, put away clothes).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm like having task lists as well. I even break tasks down further such as laundry, (run washer, switch laundry, fold clothes, put away clothes).
I do that sometimes too!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Gardening. I like being outside with a purpose and using some creative energy. Have been unemployed for a while so also miss some of the routine a job brings...but not that much.

I spent a good chunk of Sunday mowing the lawn, landscaping, and fixing my gate. Exhausting but when I relaxed afterward I felt great.

Reactions: Peter

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

I like having task lists as well. I even break tasks down further such as laundry, (run washer, switch laundry, fold clothes, put away clothes).
I do that sometimes too!

Depending on the day, sometimes I have to make ongoing "done" lists by writing down a task I've done and then crossing it off.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Do you ever just get tired...I don't mean like you need sleep, but the constant drone of everything...

media, politics, kids, parents, school, sports, work, people, pets, house, bills...I mean, FFS, it's just God damn exhausting

what does everyone do to kick this **** to the curb and feel no weight...I'm curious.

EDIT: I'm cool, so no worries there...more curious about what others do. I cycle, hang with my family and dogs...sorry if this came across as something i didn't intend it to be.

I don't watch FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC or late night television. That helps a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Went on a Boy Scout camping trip a few weekends ago.
Despite not sleeping great on the ground it really relaxed me. They had some free time for hiking and it felt great just walking through the woods and breathing

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Went on a Boy Scout camping trip a few weekends ago.
Despite not sleeping great on the ground it really relaxed me. They had some free time for hiking and it felt great just walking through the woods and breathing

Hiking and fishing. Great ways to empty your mind, unplug and enjoy the outdoors.

Reactions: nhclone

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I realize it's not possible for everyone, but some of you might need new jobs. If work stresses you out that much, maybe it's not the right job for you. I love my job and even with the pressures that come with it, I enjoy what I do.

This is where I am. I know I'm not doing what I'm supposed to do anymore. I liked it for a solid 10 years, but I'm a guy that needs change. I blame (credit?) COVID for uncovering this.

Problem is, I got good at it and the money is too necessary. Just changing companies in the same industry wouldn't fix much for me. To do what I'd like to try next would most likely be an entry level job. I have a hard time justifying that considering we're likely well behind college savings for our kids already.

I consistently do, or have implemented, quite a few of the suggestions in this thread. Exercise, outdoors stuff, & picked up some new hobbies to learn this year that have all been enjoyable. Problem is, work takes up at least 50 hours of my week. That's too much time for me to "exercise" the dread away.

Still trying to figure out how to navigate all this.

Reactions: somecyguy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Kind of off topic but I always wonder about those people who work for CNN and Fox News type companies. It has to be exhausting spending your entire day bashing people, reporting on murders, and Covid related stuff. I'm exhausted just hearing about it I can't imagine to do thst as a profession. There is no way people like Tucker Carlson have fulfilling lives with any kind of joy.

180class

Dec 30, 2015
This is where I am. I know I'm not doing what I'm supposed to do anymore. I liked it for a solid 10 years, but I'm a guy that needs change. I blame (credit?) COVID for uncovering this.

Problem is, I got good at it and the money is too necessary. Just changing companies in the same industry wouldn't fix much for me. To do what I'd like to try next would most likely be an entry level job. I have a hard time justifying that considering we're likely well behind college savings for our kids already.

I consistently do, or have implemented, quite a few of the suggestions in this thread. Exercise, outdoors stuff, & picked up some new hobbies to learn this year that have all been enjoyable. Problem is, work takes up at least 50 hours of my week. That's too much time for me to "exercise" the dread away.

Still trying to figure out how to navigate all this.

I feel like I could have typed this. It's my situation to a "T"

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Kind of off topic but I always wonder about those people who work for CNN and Fox News type companies. It has to be exhausting spending your entire day bashing people, reporting on murders, and Covid related stuff. I'm exhausted just hearing about it I can't imagine to do thst as a profession. There is no way people like Tucker Carlson have fulfilling lives with any kind of joy.

Narcissists. I'm sure many of those behind the camera hate their jobs, but those in front think waaaay too highly of themselves.