The Daily Effing Grind

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I’m married but I’m still young and have yet to experience a lot, however over the past year of this pandemic, I kept going through phases of unhappiness. Something that helped me IMMENSELY, was making daily to-do lists. On these to-do lists were not huge projects that’d take hours or anything. They’d be simple like do the laundry, do the dishes, workout, etc. It wasn’t because I was forgetting things, it was more because crossing things off gave me a sense of purpose, even with small stupid tasks.

I started doing the exact same thing at work. I now have a list I write every day with things I will try and get done. Usually have 7-10 things on the list each day that differ from the day before. The same thing happens in that I feel like I’ve done a lot and accomplished a lot.

That’s just how my brain works and it’s really helped me mentally so I thought I’d respond.

I'm completely on the other side of this. Lists give me anxiety. Hell, I even get anxious making the list. For some reason, I can easily prioritize a number of things in my mind, but when I see a list, I group everything together as one massive task to immediately do and get overwhelmed.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Narcissists. I'm sure many of those behind the camera hate their jobs, but those in front think waaaay too highly of themselves.
I've also wondered about the people who write all the banners that travel along the bottom of the screen. Was that their goal in life or do they grit their teeth to write National Inquirer-worthy content all day long?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm completely on the other side of this. Lists give me anxiety. Hell, I even get anxious making the list. For some reason, I can easily prioritize a number of things in my mind, but when I see a list, I group everything together as one massive task to immediately do and get overwhelmed.
Haha it’s so weird how different people are.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Take a week's vacation every other week. Gives you something to look forward to.

This is clearly a joke. But there's some merit to it, obviously.

Even on a smaller scale though, I think I'm going to try and take every Friday off during the summer. I have more vacation time than I generally use. With young kids, I'm not taking European vacations. But a 4 day work week / 3 day weekend does seem to change my mindset quite a bit.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Get away from the phone/screen/people and do something you enjoy. I love hanging out with people, but a quiet day trout fishing in NE IA or a late evening round of golf by myself when the course is nearly empty is very refreshing.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
man, this makes ME feel better to read this...seriously. Glad someone else feels good about the responses like I do.

I was/am still feeling this. Was let go in late March from a job that was just way too much commitment and BS. Just found a new job that is quite different but should give me more consistency in my week. A lot of stress is gone.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Not that this will help a lot, but want to share the quote from today's entry on my flip calendar: A ripple of laughter is worth a flood of tears.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC and 2122

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Do you ever just get tired...I don't mean like you need sleep, but the constant drone of everything...

media, politics, kids, parents, school, sports, work, people, pets, house, bills...I mean, FFS, it's just God damn exhausting

what does everyone do to kick this **** to the curb and feel no weight...I'm curious.

EDIT: I'm cool, so no worries there...more curious about what others do. I cycle, hang with my family and dogs...sorry if this came across as something i didn't intend it to be.
Weights and the gym, running, podcasts, my dog. Oh and cyclone athletics. All of those help me.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Exercise. Mountain biking in particular has been massive for me, mentally.

If you live near a set of singletrack trails, it’s the best exercise regimen I’ve found for helping your state of mind. You have to be completely focused on what you’re doing, or you’ll dump it. It prevents any outside thought from creeping in.

And if you’re thinking “mountain biking? Iowa?”just hop on Trailforks. Most Iowans live within 45 minutes of a significant singletrack network.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I recently decided to quit drinking - at least for the time being. I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but more times than not I just feel crappy mentally the day after.

I didn’t quit drinking, but I quit using alcohol as a way to manage daily stress, because of what you pointed out.

I’ll drink on the weekend with friends, but it’s more of a celebratory/having fun thing.

I’ve found alcohol affects you differently depending on your state of mind. If I’m using it to combat something negative, the negativity persists. If it’s a reward for hard work, and a celebratory aid with people I enjoy, it assists the situation.

Exercise to handle stress, booze as a reward.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

If you live near a set of singletrack trails, it’s the best exercise regimen I’ve found for helping your state of mind. You have to be completely focused on what you’re doing, or you’ll dump it. It prevents any outside thought from creeping in.

And if you’re thinking “mountain biking? Iowa?”just hop on Trailforks. Most Iowans live within 45 minutes of a significant singletrack network.
This is a really good one. If the mind starts to wander things get bad quick so it keeps you focused.

I know I am definitely feeling burnt out at work. No motivation. Started looking for a new job to see if I can find something I am more passionate about.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I have also noticed that when I drink during the week I usually am more sluggish and feel more lazy during the days than when I don't. Even if it is just a couple drinks a night. I am trying to keep my drinking to the weekend to combat this.

Reactions: Dandy

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This is clearly a joke. But there's some merit to it, obviously.

Even on a smaller scale though, I think I'm going to try and take every Friday off during the summer. I have more vacation time than I generally use. With young kids, I'm not taking European vacations. But a 4 day work week / 3 day weekend does seem to change my mindset quite a bit.
This reminds me of something I would do when I was working. I was single so it was just me so it was easy to pull off. Pick a day halfway between your widest spread holidays (days apart) and schedule an attitude adjustment day. Make it a Wednesday. For me it was always about the middle of April. Plan to call in sick. Then just spend the day doing nothing. Maybe binge watch something. Go to a State Park. But be alone. It's a great morale booster and you kind of get the feeling you're 'getting away with something.'

Of course being married and family this would be harder to pull off. But I did it pretty much annually for 20 years and it was my "Summer of George" moment to bask.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I didn’t quit drinking, but I quit using alcohol as a way to manage daily stress, because of what you pointed out.

I’ll drink on the weekend with friends, but it’s more of a celebratory/having fun thing.

I’ve found alcohol affects you differently depending on your state of mind. If I’m using it to combat something negative, the negativity persists. If it’s a reward for hard work, and a celebratory aid with people I enjoy, it assists the situation.

Exercise to handle stress, booze as a reward.

It wasn't until I stopped drinking consistently that I realized I actually feel depressed the day after.

• Agree
Reactions: interrobang

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

My medical bills and cracked helmets can confirm. To add to this, anyone in the Des Moines area should hit up Banner's track. Short, but fun (twss).

To add to this thread, I've mostly cutout drinking, and stopped medicating (benedryl, melatonin, etc...) to sleep. Still sleep like **** now and then, but have a much clearer mind the next day, which by itself has been a brain boost.

I've also adopted the "**** em" mentality. It's easy to get caught up with the drama, the negativity, and all that ****, but I've shifted towards letting those toxic things that and people that are out of my control go.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It wasn't until I stopped drinking consistently that I realized I actually feel depressed the day after.

I realized awhile back that if I drink while I’m feeling depressed, the depressing feeling hits harder the next day.

If I’m feeling good when I drink, I don’t feel that way the next day.

Exercise is really the only thing that truly alleviates depressed feelings for me. I also have a pretty strict rule about exercising the day after drinking, which may negate that lingering depression.

Help Support Us

Become a patron