Texas zeroing in on Neill Berry

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Weird time of year to be filling a spot. It would be a big loss. I don’t think you want Hobbs taking over.

But prohm is heavily involved in recruiting.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Here is where Texas recruiting classes have ranked in the Big 12 since Shaka was hired (according to 247):

2015 - 2
2016 - 1
2017 - 1
2018 - 2

Doesn't seem like they need a recruiter to me

Shocka just lost his best recruiter, Morrell, who is now the HC of UNC-Asheville.

As for Berry's reasons, UT can sell recruits and being the primary recruiter on multiple 5 stars and McDAA's will be a very nice resume builder. I am sure he'd be inline for a nice bump in salary and traveling budget to recruit.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Shocka just lost his best recruiter, Morrell, who is now the HC of UNC-Asheville.

As for Berry's reasons, UT can sell recruits and being the primary recruiter on multiple 5 stars and McDAA's will be a very nice resume builder. I am sure he'd be inline for a nice bump in salary and traveling budget to recruit.

Yeah, even if he was only there for one year with Shaka, he will have his name attached to more very good recruits and open up experience in new territories. All things that look good on a resume, with a big paycheck on top of that.

It would be pretty easy for him to get a new, and possibly better job after that. It's not like they will blame all of Texas' problems on the guy that just got hired and still brought in good recruits.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Berry is an up and comer as a young recruiter and is likely to move on at some point soon (if not to Texas now). Much like Otz leaving for Washington, NB is probably looking to make a bigger name form himself to accelerate career. I would rather he went outside of the Big 12 but obviously UT would allow for a lot of access and money on the recruiting trail. Couldn't fault him for making this move.

One could argue that leaving for UW lost TJ the ISU job when Fred left, TJ landed ok but who knows where he'd be had he not left.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He’d be the head coach here. I’m glad we have who we have and I think prohm is the better choice.

Great attempt to derail the thread! Prohm has nothing to do with this, I was pointing out that while on the surface TJ's move to UW looks like a great learning experience but it had a major drawback for him. Berry would do well to consider that when choosing to chase money and a bigger name.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Great attempt to derail the thread! Prohm has nothing to do with this, I was pointing out that while on the surface TJ's move to UW looks like a great learning experience but it had a major drawback for him. Berry would do well to consider that when choosing to chase money and a bigger name.

I was replying to your comment. I certainly didn’t bring anything up.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar and cycart

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I thought D Robinson was the key recruiting for most of the guys that signed this past year from IL.?
He is. Berry, Robinson and Small all basically have certain regions they're working. Just so happened that Robinson's region panned out big time this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Who are you arguing with?

I don't think TJ leaving for Washington affected his chance at the job.

I think JP did a lot to make sure he got a fair shake actually. The fans wanted someone with HC experience and good recruiting history. Prohm had both.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I would love to see ISU do something like this with Georges or Naz. Something like what Duke has done with Jon Scheyer.
Jon Scheyer never had a fair shot with an NBA roster. Now with the G-league and these 2 way contracts, players have a better chance to make a roster. I want those guys to continue to succeed at the professional level before they even think about coaching. As awesome as it would be to have them at Iowa State again its better for them and their families.

Edit: just looked up and Scheyer evidently had a really bad eye injury in the summer league. Still there are more opportunities for professional basketball in the USA now than 7-8 years ago.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Just remember Otz was the best assistant recruiter ISU has had in the last 20 years (maybe ever) and all CSP did after he left was sign the best class ISU has seen in 15-20 years.

Sucks if we lose him and I'm not trying to dismiss it but best to keep everything in perspective.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron