Texas D-Line Coach Bo Davis Rant on Bus After Iowa State Loss

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Two things.

1. Herman was fired because his own players hated him and were telling recruits to go elsewhere.

2. Texas has a culture problem and that is what Bo Davis is yelling about. He is saying get with the program or transfer out.

You don't solve a culture problem by complaining about the culture. Their coaches need to figure out how to align their systems of feedback, decision-making, communication, and rewards that support the culture they want instead of just running people off.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The Texas Longhorn program is cratering before our eyes.
Last Monday, a neighbor turns on an assistant coach, tells a USA reporter about shenanigans behind the monkey cage.
This week, a Texas player turns on an assistant coach and releases the Rant.
Texas is getting knifed in the back by their own at every turn.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The Texas Longhorn program is cratering before our eyes.
Last Monday, a neighbor turns on an assistant coach, tells a USA reporter about shenanigans behind the monkey cage.
This week, a Texas player turns on an assistant coach and releases the Rant.
Texas is getting knifed in the back by their own at every turn.

YkVsLALh.jpg

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Pundits who will rake that coach over the coals for this video don't understand sports. Right or wrong, rants like that happen on busses and locker rooms from high school freshmen teams up to pro level. Is it right to berate players? No. But let's not all act amazed and distraught like it's a novel thing for a coach to chew player's asses after they lay an egg (especially if, after laying an egg, they appear not to give a **** about it)

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
Coach Bo should have had a similar speech before playing us. I can only imagine the insanity that will happen if Kansas upsets them. Texas is on a suicide watch.

Reactions: NWICY

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The idea that a player recorded that and released it to the media tells you everything about where the Texas program is right now
It hadn't occurred to me how f*cked up that is until I read you post. If I'd done this in high school* my only motivation would be to undermine the coach, which would ultimately undermine the defense and the whole team. Zero star culture is being kind to UT. Yikes.

*if I'd done this in high school everyone, including the coach, would marvel at my Star Trek style computer phone...

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I'll say it again, TX needs to recruit better.
They have all 4* and 5* players. They will not recruit... they will now start paying for top players from other teams. But they will get the same results, because their culture sucks.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I hope there are still Texas fans lurking here to witness us laughing at them as we run them out of the conference with three straight beat downs.

Roll Tide. War Eagle. Wtf I’ll even give a boomer sooner.

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Those ass chewings only work if you have a relationship and your players respect you. I don’t think that was the case for that dude.

This. Had a Iowa HoF coach in HS, very simple in how he ran the program and it was effective. He didn't say much, but when he did you listened. He could get mad, but he'd tell you your job and you were expected to do it. I can count on one hand the number of "rants" he had throughout my 4 years, and I think all of us players could still tell you about all of those rants because they did get at us and he was right in those moments.

If a coach is going to go off, there has to be a purpose (and not just a self-serving one). That's what makes those rants so effective in limited settings, it's that relationship and respect that's already established.

On one hand I think the TX coach is somewhat justified, but on the other hand he's only been with these guys a year. He probably jumped the gun on this and instead was more self-serving in blowing off some steam.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Any leaked video of Matt Campbell in the locker room?

Maybe something like this in hush tones that escalate, "You guys just won another F'n Big 12 home game. You just beat the F*** out of the University of Texas!"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You don't solve a culture problem by complaining about the culture. Their coaches need to figure out how to align their systems of feedback, decision-making, communication, and rewards that support the culture they want instead of just running people off.

It’s just maybe possible they are just chasing $ and stars insteadof actually evaluating the character of the players and coaches they target.

Nobody ever won a game by comparing video board sizes.

With the resources schools put into recruiting it’s not hard to identify who a great kid is off the field. My guess is they completely ignore a lot of Breece Halls to their detriment.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Any leaked video of Matt Campbell in the locker room?

Maybe something like this in hush tones that escalate, "You guys just won another F'n Big 12 home game. You just beat the F*** out of the University of Texas!"
I think "******** teams care about 6-6" may have been leaked and it was glorious.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Texas will never solve the problem until they admit what the problem REALLY is. The Texas fans and the so called expert pundits say their problem is lack of talent. That's a joke. Since 2017, how many 4 or 5 star recruits has each team signed? 4 for Iowa State. 70 for Texas. That's right, 70.

Texas thinks they can solve their problem by raiding the transfer portal and picking up players like Rattler. As if they don't think their locker room atmosphere is bad enough.

Texas's problem is culture, and you have to develop culture the hard way. You can't go out and buy it. Until Texas admits this and commits to climbing up the mountain instead of always looking for the escalator, they're going to struggle. So get used to them struggling.
I get the impression the Texas fan base is upset they aren't gettting the 6 and 7 Star recruits. Clearly the 5 Star guys aren't good enough.

• Funny
Reactions: 20eyes

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

No offense but Campbell ran a lot of guys off when he first got here. I don't like coaches that talk to people like that, but but man it would be hard to watch that effort out of your team if you were a coach. Gotta communicate it better but you can't have a team get that mentally beaten down.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Pundits who will rake that coach over the coals for this video don't understand sports. Right or wrong, rants like that happen on busses and locker rooms from high school freshmen teams up to pro level. Is it right to berate players? No. But let's not all act amazed and distraught like it's a novel thing for a coach to chew player's asses after they lay an egg (especially if, after laying an egg, they appear not to give a **** about it)
Yes, yelling happens everywhere, but the content of the yelling is also important. My guess is simply lashing out at players and telling them to transfer will get him no additional buy in from his players.

• Agree
Reactions: 20eyes

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

That team flat out quit in the 3rd quarter. If I were one of their coaches, I'd be irate too.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I have a great friend who was the starting running back for the Longhorns back in 89-92. We talk often about college sports. Just last night we talked about the disparity between Matt Campbell and the Herman/Sark regimes, and this video. As he said, "I bet you'd never see a Matt Campbell coached team hear this; at least not in this way. You might hear some players get on other players, but not coaches berating kids and telling them to transfer." He's absolutely correct.

Now, do I see some position coaches getting on the kids and asking them for increased effort? For sure. But I don't see any of them berating or degrading the kids.

The fact that a player/alumnus from Texas sees it is pretty fantastic and speaks to the Campbell Culture.

Help Support Us

Become a patron