Texas D-Line Coach Bo Davis Rant on Bus After Iowa State Loss

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
You don't solve a culture problem by complaining about the culture. Their coaches need to figure out how to align their systems of feedback, decision-making, communication, and rewards that support the culture they want instead of just running people off.
They need to start handing out hundred dollar bills for tackles, first downs, catches, and pancake blocks. Motivate accordingly to their culture.

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

20eyes

May 15, 2020
It’s just maybe possible they are just chasing $ and stars insteadof actually evaluating the character of the players and coaches they target.

Nobody ever won a game by comparing video board sizes.

With the resources schools put into recruiting it’s not hard to identify who a great kid is off the field. My guess is they completely ignore a lot of Breece Halls to their detriment.

This isn't necessarily a desire for a football program though... Programs like UNL, OU, Miami, FSU won national championships with MANY PsOS on their rosters. Plenty of of programs make it work without great kids like Breece, Kene, David Montgomery, Kyle Kempt, etc.

You're exactly right on "chasing". Forget character, are they even evaluating skill or motor? Seems like it's about stars and stars alone for UT...

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I have a great friend who was the starting running back for the Longhorns back in 89-92. We talk often about college sports. Just last night we talked about the disparity between Matt Campbell and the Herman/Sark regimes, and this video. As he said, "I bet you'd never see a Matt Campbell coached team hear this; at least not in this way. You might hear some players get on other players, but not coaches berating kids and telling them to transfer." He's absolutely correct.

Now, do I see some position coaches getting on the kids and asking them for increased effort? For sure. But I don't see any of them berating or degrading the kids.

The fact that a player/alumnus from Texas sees it is pretty fantastic and speaks to the Campbell Culture.

You would't hear the transfer talk from our coaches because you have to be accepted by the other members of the team to become a Cyclone. The coaches recognize that the talent on the bus is the talent they have to work with. If a prospective recruit comes to Ames on a visit, even he's a five star, Matt Campbell has built a program in which present team members can vote to not pursue him.

Try that at UT. Let some big cigar know that you're not pursuing a five star because the other kids didn't think he'd be a good teammate... What would your UT friend think of that?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
No offense but Campbell ran a lot of guys off when he first got here. I don't like coaches that talk to people like that, but but man it would be hard to watch that effort out of your team if you were a coach. Gotta communicate it better but you can't have a team get that mentally beaten down.

I have to imagine there was a process identify players who did not have the talent or discipline to help the team. I also have to imagine that process didn't involve berating the entire team and telling them to transfer.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Some of these Texas coaches are from Alabama. They aren't used to getting whooped, and then having players laughing it up on the bus.

Texas needs a roster overhaul like you see in basketball.

• Agree

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Kind of depends on context. Depends on if other games they haven't been focused or their attitudes in practice etc.

You got to get it into their heads one way or another and sometimes you just got to scream at a guy.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You would't hear the transfer talk from our coaches because you have to be accepted by the other members of the team to become a Cyclone. The coaches recognize that the talent on the bus is the talent they have to work with. If a prospective recruit comes to Ames on a visit, even he's a five star, Matt Campbell has built a program in which present team members can vote to not pursue him.

Try that at UT. Let some big cigar know that you're not pursuing a five star because the other kids didn't think he'd be a good teammate... What would your UT friend think of that?
This is spot on.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This isn't necessarily a desire for a football program though... Programs like UNL, OU, Miami, FSU won national championships with MANY PsOS on their rosters. Plenty of of programs make it work without great kids like Breece, Kene, David Montgomery, Kyle Kempt, etc.

You're exactly right on "chasing". Forget character, are they even evaluating skill or motor? Seems like it's about stars and stars alone for UT...
I don't think that's the case anymore. College football has equalized much from where it was 40 years ago. Try being an idiot at Alabama, or Georgia. Won't last long. The days of partial qualifiers are done.

Reactions: 20eyes

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
I swear I heard that the team got a talking to after getting blown out by Iowa in 2016.

Sometimes you can't get a player to buy in. When that's the case it is sometimes best for the player to leave. Bad apples and such.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It’s just maybe possible they are just chasing $ and stars insteadof actually evaluating the character of the players and coaches they target.

Nobody ever won a game by comparing video board sizes.

With the resources schools put into recruiting it’s not hard to identify who a great kid is off the field. My guess is they completely ignore a lot of Breece Halls to their detriment.

Everyone in there is chasing the $.

The root of their whole problem.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I heard today on the Big 12 radio channel that Davis, had been a coach on 3 staffs that won a national championship in football, so he has been around winning programs and know what it takes to get there.

The hosts, both former players said they had spoken to many others about the situation, the majority had no problem with what Davis said and it was only people that had never been in a locker room that objected to it.

The coaching staff at UT is trying to set their Culture in place right now, in their first season. They are basically telling the players that the way they played is not acceptable and if you are not OK with that, then its time for the player to leave the program.
You only get opportunity to set the culture in that first year, so you have to make it plain to everyone, what is expected and anything less than that is not. If any players is not fine with that, then leave, its really a simple idea.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
It’s been awhile, who were some of the guys CMC ran off?

There was a projected starting OT that got booted, but I'm blanking on his name. Outside of some vague rumors it never really got out as to what he said or did that got him ran, but I'm thinking he made some inappropriate comments towards a female staffer? That could be wrong.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
It’s been awhile, who were some of the guys CMC ran off?
Don't remember the circumstances, but at least one starting LB left. Meeks, maybe? Don't remember his name, but remember a few times in that first season where it would have been nice to have him.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I heard today on the Big 12 radio channel that Davis, had been a coach on 3 staffs that won a national championship in football, so he has been around winning programs and know what it takes to get there.

The hosts, both former players said they had spoken to many others about the situation, the majority had no problem with what Davis said and it was only people that had never been in a locker room that objected to it.

The coaching staff at UT is trying to set their Culture in place right now, in their first season. They are basically telling the players that the way they played is not acceptable and if you are not OK with that, then its time for the player to leave the program.
You only get opportunity to set the culture in that first year, so you have to make it plain to everyone, what is expected and anything less than that is not. If any players is not fine with that, then leave, its really a simple idea.
Before we go gaga over Davis, let's look back at his first go-around at Texas.
2011 4-5 in the conference. Six games Texas allowed over 20 points and three times over 38 points. All of the games they gave double digit, except blanking Kansas.
2012. 5-4 conference. Six games over 30 points allowed.
2013 8-5 overall. Seven times Texas gave up more than 30 points. Mack was fired after the season.

As far as I could tell, they had one NFL Draft pick on the defensive line and that was a seventh rounder. The last season, Texas did not recruit one five star athlete.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Before we go gaga over Davis, let's look back at his first go-around at Texas.
2011 4-5 in the conference. Six games Texas allowed over 20 points and three times over 38 points. All of the games they gave double digit, except blanking Kansas.
2012. 5-4 conference. Six games over 30 points allowed.
2013 8-5 overall. Seven times Texas gave up more than 30 points. Mack was fired after the season.

As far as I could tell, they had one NFL Draft pick on the defensive line and that was a seventh rounder. The last season, Texas did not recruit one five star athlete.
True but Davis was also not the defensive coordinator only the D line coach those years. If you look at his record, he has been on a lot of quality teams through his years coaching football at the highest level.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron