Texas A&M tops in revenue at almost $200 mil

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Agree...only Northern Iowa uses their general fund to support their athletics (and still was nearly $3M in the red). Athletic coach and administration wages have skyrocketed primarily because of the increased TV revenue. Tuition for students is going up because the states continue to decrease the state allocations to higher education...not because of athletics.

Why is the state decreasing the allocation to higher ed?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Why does that equal dropping scholarships? It's just allowing athletes to benefit from their likeness, just like any other student can.

I guess it doesn't have to mean dropping scholarships, but those corporate sponsors that used to sponsor the athletic department will now sponsor the athletes themselves. Seems something needs to be cut to deal with that.

And can every student really benefit from their likeness? If you are a grad student working under a grant and develop some new money making opportunity. Who owns that patent, you, the school, or the funder of the grant?

But again, how will these students benefit the corporate sponsors? Are you proposing putting advertising patches on their uniforms?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Again, you've missed the point completely. I give up.

I merely asked if the AD is self sufficient and not relying on tax payer money nor the university general fund, then what is there to ***** about? I get your point and agree if a school (like UNI or U of Houston) who are subsidized are spending way outside their means.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Okay, I guess I need to spell it out. Where does the money for 'television deals, ticket sales and donations' come from? Your ******* pockets you idiots. The same people that ***** about paying a few more bucks in taxes to cover better schools, teachers, health care, etc... are the same people that are paying to watch college sports on TV, buy tickets, donate.

Reactions: isufbcurt

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I merely asked if the AD is self sufficient and not relying on tax payer money nor the university general fund, then what is there to ***** about? I get your point and agree if a school (like UNI or U of Houston) who are subsidized are spending way outside their means.

No, you don't get my point at all.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I personally don't have a problem with athletic budgets increasing so long as the money coming from there are not tax payers or the school itself. What I would like to know is what is the ROI on having an athletics program to the school? Does the university see a lot of donors to the athletics department donating to educational ones as well? If the AD were to be gone tomorrow, would there be a decrease or increase in educational donations as a result of reallocation of money?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I guess it doesn't have to mean dropping scholarships, but those corporate sponsors that used to sponsor the athletic department will now sponsor the athletes themselves. Seems something needs to be cut to deal with that.

And can every student really benefit from their likeness? If you are a grad student working under a grant and develop some new money making opportunity. Who owns that patent, you, the school, or the funder of the grant?

But again, how will these students benefit the corporate sponsors? Are you proposing putting advertising patches on their uniforms?

I don't understand why would something need to be cut?

All students other than scholarship athletes are allowed to profit from their own likeness. Your patent argument doesn't really apply because a patent is not the same thing as your likeness, but just for argument's sake, depending on the state and the university, a student very well might own a patent that they developed at a university.

As far as the students benefiting their corporate sponsors, there are tons of ways, a local car dealership might want to hire a few football players to be in their tv/radio commercials. A restaurant might do the same. A sporting goods store might want to have a few basketball players on site for a promotion, etc.

All of those things are currently options for every other student besides a scholarship athlete.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I personally don't have a problem with athletic budgets increasing so long as the money coming from there are not tax payers or the school itself. What I would like to know is what is the ROI on having an athletics program to the school? Does the university see a lot of donors to the athletics department donating to educational ones as well? If the AD were to be gone tomorrow, would there be a decrease or increase in educational donations as a result of reallocation of money?

I don't necessarily have a problem with it either, other than the garishness of it, I suppose. I'd also be fine with a mandate that all athletic departments must be self sufficient, and take zero money from a general fund. Have it run on a 4 year average or something. And if you are in the red, you're ineligible for any post season play, in any sport, until you get it figured out.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't necessarily have a problem with it either, other than the garishness of it, I suppose. I'd also be fine with a mandate that all athletic departments must be self sufficient, and take zero money from a general fund. Have it run on a 4 year average or something. And if you are in the red, you're ineligible for any post season play, in any sport, until you get it figured out.

I'd recommend something preventing an increase in student fees to that end, too.
Someone's posted good things before showing how the increases in student fees for athletics corresponds exactly to the general fund money no longer used that way.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'd recommend something preventing an increase in student fees to that end, too.
Someone's posted good things before showing how the increases in student fees for athletics corresponds exactly to the general fund money no longer used that way.

that works for me. If an athletic department is truly self sufficient, it shouldn't need student fees either.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Okay, I guess I need to spell it out. Where does the money for 'television deals, ticket sales and donations' come from? Your ******* pockets you idiots. The same people that ***** about paying a few more bucks in taxes to cover better schools, teachers, health care, etc... are the same people that are paying to watch college sports on TV, buy tickets, donate.
I totally get you B, but the bad actors aren't necessarily ISU and Iowa fans but rather the legislators. Al's right, to answer your question fully this will go to the cave. I, for one, would prefer that more of my tax dollars go to the universities (in an equitable manner, no more subsidizing Western Suburbs hawk dooshers).

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wow...this thread went down down an odd path. Hello Cave.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Agreed. I don't think it's accurate right now to call them self-sufficient, since the student fees are the excuse we're using to make that claim.
Speleunking light on...

Student fees could certainly be its own topic...students do get a return on their fees...subsidized tickets to the popular sports and free attendance at most Olympic sports. There is no opting out...it is mandatory...a student can't opt out if they don't want to attend. The fees also cover intramurals and access to exercise venues, use of the Union and facilities, etc. At ISU, this fee rises to $331.95 per semester (12 or more credit hours). To me it isn't too bad a deal...but it is a mandatory fee that a student has to pay.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Is it fair to say that A&M is the only school to go through 'expansion' with a positive experience and meeting their goal (bigger than Texas)?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If you start to pay athletes, doesn't that open up ever other benefit they get up to being taxed at a high rate. Their scholarship, their shoes, their clothes, their books, their meals and so on.

There are ways to pay players of teams that make the school money, with out cutting into the current revenue stream. The money really should be put in an account for each student and when they graduate they can get the money.