T.J. Tampa projected as first round pick going into NFL Combine

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Just from watching him play at ISU for 4 years. I'm not a NFL Pro scout... I don't analyze how well he turns his hips or whatever it is they all look at. I know he can jump, which does help a lot, but that's all about timing your jump in coverage.

All I'm saying is... from watching him play for quite a while at ISU... his coverage skills overall to me look like a 2nd or 3rd round NLF cornerback talent. I don't know that he can be a shut down corner at the NFL level... but he can probably be a starter. Shut down corners get drafted in the the 1st round.
Fair enough, although it's kind of obvious why you aren't an NFL Scout. I do have to ask though, whenever any good news for Cyclones or a fellow Cyclone comes up, why do so many like you, "Fans" feel the need to **** all over it? Wouldn't the best response, if you feel the need to respond, be, good for him.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Just from watching him play at ISU for 4 years. I'm not a NFL Pro scout... I don't analyze how well he turns his hips or whatever it is they all look at. I know he can jump, which does help a lot, but that's all about timing your jump in coverage.

All I'm saying is... from watching him play for quite a while at ISU... his coverage skills overall to me look like a 2nd or 3rd round NLF cornerback talent. I don't know that he can be a shut down corner at the NFL level... but he can probably be a starter. Shut down corners get drafted in the the 1st round.
He could start for the Vikings

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I enjoy using this website as it compiles all of the mock drafts out there. Interesting to see so many having him go to Detroit before Kiper put his out there.

Is that a composite of a bunch of mock drafts made by a bunch of amateurs?

Or experts like Mel Kiper, etc.?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Thanks for your answer. Personally, I’m a bit surprised at your confidence, considering how few teams threw at him, especially this last fall. Not much of a sample size.

• Winner
Reactions: GotHops32

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
Miami picks 21st and just released Xavien Howard. A lot can happen between now and the draft in terms of trading up/down, but it's totally a possibility that TJ could land there.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Mel Kiper isn’t that great at scouting in my opinion, he just has the largest platform. His bad takes are spread across the internet (said he’d retire if Jimmy Clausen wasn’t a successful QB).

BUT, he was the only prognosticator who projected Will McDonald in the first round (that I saw), and that turned out to be accurate. So I give some credence to his forecasting.

Reactions: Aclone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
6’2” corner with great cover skills. And you think that is 3rd round talent?

2nd round at latest
Things can change with the combine and pro day. I like Tampa...he has NFL size, tackles well, is good in coverage. The one thing that I worry about with being a R1 pick is speed. ISU doesn't really require CBs to be super fast just because there are 3 Safeties back there. Tampa has really good quickness and can cover, but if he runs a 4.5+ it's not very probable that he's a first round guy.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
6’2” corner with great cover skills. And you think that is 3rd round talent?

2nd round at latest

I said 2nd or 3rd round is where I see him going.

Personally…. if I were a NFL GM, I’d take him early in the 2nd round.

If that’s being a horrible ISU fan…. whatever. He’ll be one of the highest drafted ISU players EVER in my opinion…. that’s now hating on ISU guys? Okay???

I was wrong on McDonald last year, I think I also thought he was an early 2nd round guy because he wasn’t an every down player…. and I was very glad to be wrong.

I hope I’m also wrong on Tampa too…. would LOVE to see him go in the 1st round. But I’ve always given my honest opinion on here. I try to take off my cardinal and gold glasses. I’m not going to say he’s a top 20 pick if I don’t believe it…. just because he’s a Cyclone and I like him.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
God damn it. Not doing drills is going to hurt him. Everyone was banking on him blowing up the combine
Sounds like he’ll participate in the pro day. Also, isn’t there a big 12 pro day this year?

I mean ultimately, it’s better than tearing your hammy up. Scouts aren’t dumb either, if his 40 time/workout info is out there, they won’t ignore it.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Sounds like he’ll participate in the pro day. Also, isn’t there a big 12 pro day this year?

I mean ultimately, it’s better than tearing your hammy up. Scouts aren’t dumb either, if his 40 time/workout info is out there, they won’t ignore it.
I feel like this is a tactical error.

I mean, no one was sure how well Breece would run, and (as mentioned above about TJ), there was a chance he’d run a mediocre time.

Instead, he tore off an incredible time. Created an immense amount of buzz.

Then used ISU’s pro day to prove it wasn’t a fluke—iirc.

TJ is denying himself half of that equation.

• Agree
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Lions desperately need help on defense, and while with their first round pick most expect them to take an edge rusher to put opposite Hutchinson, the Lions had one of the worst secondaries in football last year, especially at the corner position (ironically safety wasn't too terrible). Just saying - I would love another Cyclone in Detroit.

Reactions: Nothingman

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I said 2nd or 3rd round is where I see him going.

Personally…. if I were a NFL GM, I’d take him early in the 2nd round.

If that’s being a horrible ISU fan…. whatever. He’ll be one of the highest drafted ISU players EVER in my opinion…. that’s now hating on ISU guys? Okay???

I was wrong on McDonald last year, I think I also thought he was an early 2nd round guy because he wasn’t an every down player…. and I was very glad to be wrong.

I hope I’m also wrong on Tampa too…. would LOVE to see him go in the 1st round. But I’ve always given my honest opinion on here. I try to take off my cardinal and gold glasses. I’m not going to say he’s a top 20 pick if I don’t believe it…. just because he’s a Cyclone and I like him.

He’ll never make it to the 3rd round. Therefore he is a 1st or 2nd round pick. So 3rd round is absurd.