Summer question: Have Pop-Tarts changed?

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Having younger kids and being horrible parents we always have pop tarts lying around.

My question is have they recently changed ingredients? Smore and brown sugar ones seem to taste even more bland then I remember.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think so, but I'll conduct a study myself and get back to you.

And is it just me, or are the one's wrapped for individual sale (blue package) always significantly drier than the ones wrapped in the silver packaging?

Also, has anyone ever accidentally purchased the unfrosted ones and immediately become very sad when you open one? They really should put better labeling on those. Someday, an unfrosted poptart is going to cause a Falling Down type scenario.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ahhhh...... the good old days!!! Pop Tarts and Mountain Dew, the breakfast of champions.

Had a pack of cherry ones the other day, they haven't changed even though I rarely have them anymore.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't think so, but I'll conduct a study myself and get back to you.

And is it just me, or are the one's wrapped for individual sale (blue package) always significantly drier than the ones wrapped in the silver packaging?

Also, has anyone ever accidentally purchased the unfrosted ones and immediately become very sad when you open one? They really should put better labeling on those. Someday, an unfrosted poptart is going to cause a Falling Down type scenario.

Unfrosted pop tarts are bad. No reason for their existence.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I used to love the apple ones with the white frosting. Now they're like apple with brown sugar, or something like that. Screw that.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Also, has anyone ever accidentally purchased the unfrosted ones and immediately become very sad when you open one?

I've accidentally gotten the unfrosted a couple of times, and have been scolded by my spousal and/or her children about it, as if I did it on purpose.

I agree the packaging should be clear. Such as, if you pick up a box of unfrosted tarts, it delivers a mild shock.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I'm fairly confident the brown sugar cinnamon variety used to have more filling.

Also, I've been saying for years... Want a surefire winning product? Make a version of the pop-tart with more frosting on top. No one's eating pop-tarts for their nutritional value, might as well just go all-in on the sugar.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Having younger kids and being horrible parents we always have pop tarts lying around.

This just conjured up an lol mental image - opened pop tarts randomly strewn about the house. Some on the kitchen counter, some between the couch cushions, a couple on the bed pillows like a hotel mint, set up like hopscotch down the hallway... :D

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ahhhh...... the good old days!!! Pop Tarts and Mountain Dew, the breakfast of champions.

Had a pack of cherry ones the other day, they haven't changed even though I rarely have them anymore.

Great, now I want a Mountain Dew.

giphy.gif

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This just conjured up an lol mental image - opened pop tarts randomly strewn about the house. Some on the kitchen counter, some between the couch cushions, a couple on the bed pillows like a hotel mint, set up like hopscotch down the hallway... :D

And they all have a few bites taken out of them. Sounds like my kids.

pop-tarts-pop-tarts-everywhere.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Buster28

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm fairly confident the brown sugar cinnamon variety used to have more filling.

Also, I've been saying for years... Want a surefire winning product? Make a version of the pop-tart with more frosting on top. No one's eating pop-tarts for their nutritional value, might as well just go all-in on the sugar.
I think that's a brownie.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

So now I'm googling pop tart related products:

pop-tart.jpg

carls-jr-pop-tart-ice-cream-sandwich.jpg

Reactions: kentkel

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Pop tarts have always been gross. Toast’ems are the superior breakfast toaster pastry.
Yep, especially the brown sugar/cinnamon ones-unfrosted. I always liked them better than Pop Tarts and they cost less. However, I haven't eaten either brand in, um, maybe decades.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Also untoasted pop-tarts >>>>> toasted pop-tarts, fight me.

I would microwave them for about 10 seconds. Anything more the filling oozes out and makes a mess or you are using your tongue to get rid of the burnt skin on the roof of your mouth.