Steve Prohm says he'll meet with Jamie Pollard to discuss his future next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It seems like his colleagues on the selection committee would prefer that he's not distracted by a firing if he doesn't have to be. If he chooses to be distracted by it it might be a poorer reflection on ISU.
If he’s distracted by it, it’s a poorer reflection of Jamie. He can’t do his primary job, despite having plenty of lead time. Prohm was 0-18 going into last weekend- if Jamie is distracted or needing to put the committee work over his second most important job as AD, then his peers won’t be cutting him any slack.

Never mind it’s a committee to recognize good basketball and Jamie is the guy that hired a coach to take over a very well positioned program, and then extended him, that 6 seasons later is 0-18.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This is exactly right. Barring a repeat of Chizik, if whoever the next coach is ends up being successful enough to get a true blue blood gig after a few years, it means good things have happened to the program.
Chizik wasn’t that bad. Bad coaches leaving early is okay. Good coaches that win and then leave are okay. It’s the bad coaches you have to pay to get rid of that are incredibly tough for Iowa st

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It might not be the right time for TJ but how do you know he's "deficient in the X and O part"? I watched most of the UNLV game last night. There was nothing wrong with TJs game plan or coaching. He just had lesser players and they wore down. The guys he would count on to score weren't and that was the ball game.

IMO hiring TJ is a continuation of the Hoiberg and Prohm style of play. An offense reliant on individual one-on-one performances. Hoiberg was successful using that system because he had 7-8 future professional players on his last few rosters. UNLV's Hamilton and Jenkins are two of the better offensive players in the MWC- but a solid defense can defend an offense predicated on dribbling.

I am looking for a coach who values sound fundamentals when it comes to defense and rebounding. A coach who has an offensive system that emphasizes ball movement through passing, screening and player movement. IMO having a system where performance is consistent and replicable gives a program like ISU a better chance to win.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
IMO hiring TJ is a continuation of the Hoiberg and Prohm style of play. An offense reliant on individual one-on-one performances. Hoiberg was successful using that system because he had 7-8 future professional players on his last few rosters. UNLV's Hamilton and Jenkins are two of the better offensive players in the MWC- but a solid defense can defend an offense predicated on dribbling.

I am looking for a coach who values sound fundamentals when it comes to defense and rebounding. A coach who has an offensive system that emphasizes ball movement through passing, screening and player movement. IMO having a system where performance is consistent and replicable gives a program like ISU a better chance to win.

That is a fair reasoning...
Personally I enjoy Hoiball and the top players today want to play in the free fun/gun types system so want Jamie to go with an offensive leaning coach. Hilton Magic was sparked by Orr and his offense after all.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If there is a National search by an outside firm then not similar. If hiring an old friend in lieu of a search firm then very much aligned.

Hiring a search firm doesn't mean they do a search. Much of the time the AD identifies candidates and the search firm reaches out to see if a coach is interested. The search firm will also coordinate interviews. It gives both the coach and hiring school a level of separation and deniability.

Search firms can also do background checks.

Reactions: agentbear

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

That’s a very distorted view of Hoiberg’s time here imo. If not blatantly wrong.

Coaches like Bill self weren’t taking his stuff because he relied on hero ball. Coaches weren’t coming to Ames to learn about hero ball, He had a system- brought space and pace and analytics to the conference. He made shot charts part of the conversation. His defensive rebounding was often near the top of the conference. How else can you lead in pace?

Hoiberg had the system you’re asking for- replicable and consistent. That’s how you go to 4 straight tournaments, all with very good offense, and how it continues two seasons after you leave, until the players trained in the system left. As we’ve seen with Steve, there’s a subtle but big difference in having a system that gets players in advantageous one-on-one matchups (Hoiball), and having a system that simply asks players to beat their defender one on one.

That’s why so many guys played well enough to become pros. It was a system rooted in putting players in positions to succeed. Georges with a coach like LE doesn’t get off the bench until later,, and does nothing but post ups. Georges was always talented, but very few coaches would have had the x&o acumen to showcase that as much as Hoiberg. Ejim wouldn’t have a position in many programs when Hoiberg came to Iowa St. White wouldn’t have been a pg in many. Clyburn wouldn’t have gotten as much a 1/4 matchups. Kane was an inefficient guy at Marshall, he’s potentially a pro if at ISU from day 1.

Last edited:

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
From our experiences here, the ones with a "passion for being at ISU" tend to suck.
Get me an ambitious coach who wins and we'll figure out the rest later.

Frankly, if I hear someone say they're passionate to be at ISU, I have my doubts about them (unless they say it as an obvious PR line----even then, it leads to trouble down the road). Give me "I want to win," then do the winning, and that's fine. I don't care if they want to stay here or not. Nobody should care about that.
Fred and Matt Campbell are the "passion for ISU" guys. You have a broad definition of suck. Steve Prohm's passion was a 2 million dollar check. See how that worked out.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That is a fair reasoning...
Personally I enjoy Hoiball and the top players today want to play in the free fun/gun types system so want Jamie to go with an offensive leaning coach. Hilton Magic was sparked by Orr and his offense after all.

I loved Hoiball too, but is it realistic for any ISU coach to have 7-8 players who are future professional players? That was the case with each of Hoiberg's successful teams. Also having a team that defends and rebounds doesn't mean boring offense. Top players want to play for winners first, because they will get more national exposure.

My passion for ISU hoops originated watching JO's team play. I was in school at the time. Very exciting at Hilton, but the Clones seldom won on the road. Because of that inconsistency between home/road, ISU went to NCAA Tournament about 50% of the time.

I am a firm believer that winning consistently on the road requires a team that is plays defense, rounds and scores paint points. Teams that lean heavily on jump shooting like JO and FH tend to be great at home and struggle on the road.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
From our experiences here, the ones with a "passion for being at ISU" tend to suck.
Get me an ambitious coach who wins and we'll figure out the rest later.

Frankly, if I hear someone say they're passionate to be at ISU, I have my doubts about them (unless they say it as an obvious PR line----even then, it leads to trouble down the road). Give me "I want to win," then do the winning, and that's fine. I don't care if they want to stay here or not. Nobody should care about that.

Matt Campbell constant declares his love and passion for Iowa State. Matt Campbell has told the story of how came with his Toledo Football Team to Jack Trice and fell in love with the place. Campbell called his wife and said if this place ever needs a Coach I would like to be considered.

Passion for Iowa State is NOT the problem. The problem is that Prohm ended up being an absolutely awful choice. We have NO idea whether any other Coach would have done better or worse with Fred’s players. But we know that Prohm has led us to the ground below the Cellar of College Basketball.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Fred and Matt Campbell are the "passion for ISU" guys. You have a broad definition of suck. Steve Prohm's passion was a 2 million dollar check. See how that worked out.

God, you are really a ******* idiot. Prohm may very well be the worst coach in the history of the world. But no one can honestly claim that he didn't care about Iowa State and want to win here.

Status
Not open for further replies.