Steve Prohm says he'll meet with Jamie Pollard to discuss his future next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
That would be an amazingly stupid move by pollard. The last 2 years under Prohm have had a total of 14 wins, and 42 losses. We have had four 20 loss seasons in the history of our program. Prohm owns 2 of them... in a row. There is no keeping this.

I was going to say that I need a job like prohm’s if JP keeps him Totally suck at my job for two years straight but my boss keeps me around would be a great gig.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Tough for some to admit that maybe we should have taken TJ instead of Prohm the first time. Where the Program is today proves that Prohm was a terrible choice. We are below the Cellar. Record Setting Failure.
I'm in the camp that wanted TJ before Prohm the first time but after the SP era I don't think you can go the TJ route. They are the same kind of coach. Great recruiters but deficient in the X and O's part. JP can't hire the same coach. This program needs a shake up and it starts with changing the identity.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Outside of the one year, he’s been bad at SC.

Yea Frank Martin might have hit gold. He enjoyed success at KSU after Huggins left and he had great AAU connections at that time.

I am a big believer that some Head Coaches have success because they have great assistant coaches. Frank Martin was great at KSU and had early success at SC. Who was one of his assistants during that time? Brad Underwood.

I have more favorites who should be the next head coach based on style of play. But almost as important is who the next head coach hires as their assistant coaches.

We are Iowa State, so we will never have a roster of 4 & 5 star players. The state of Iowa just doesn't produce many elite players. So it is critical to have assistant coaches who can develop players. It is also important for ISU to develop a geographic based recruiting identity. Current players recruit future player.

No different than what Matt Campbell has done with football.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yea Frank Martin might have hit gold. He enjoyed success at KSU after Huggins left and he had great AAU connections at that time.

I am a big believer that some Head Coaches have success because they have great assistant coaches. Frank Martin was great at KSU and had early success at SC. Who was one of his assistants during that time? Brad Underwood.

I have more favorites who should be the next head coach based on style of play. But almost as important is who the next head coach hires as their assistant coaches.

We are Iowa State, so we will never have a roster of 4 & 5 star players. The state of Iowa just doesn't produce many elite players. So it is critical to have assistant coaches who can develop players. It is also important for ISU to develop a geographic based recruiting identity. Current players recruit future player.

No different than what Matt Campbell has done with football.
Hopefully JP has a better sense of that part of the new head coach’s plan than he did with Prohm.

That, and how the new coach plans to get players, even as far as which ones (related to his staff hires imo). We need to minimize on the job training and hire guys that have players following them imo.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
If tj is hired without an adequate search I will likely be as interested in watching games next year as I am this year.

So your interest in watching games next year has nothing to do with the coach or the success of the team, an only on how Pollard handles the hiring process.

Sure it is.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I'm in the camp that wanted TJ before Prohm the first time but after the SP era I don't think you can go the TJ route. They are the same kind of coach. Great recruiters but deficient in the X and O's part. JP can't hire the same coach. This program needs a shake up and it starts with changing the identity.
It might not be the right time for TJ but how do you know he's "deficient in the X and O part"? I watched most of the UNLV game last night. There was nothing wrong with TJs game plan or coaching. He just had lesser players and they wore down. The guys he would count on to score weren't and that was the ball game.

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My best bet is Coach Prohm will be given another year to right the ship.

He was already given another year. ISU was 5-13 in Big 12 play during the 2019/20 season. By going going 0-18 in Big 12 play this season, sounds to me like he LEFT the ship.

A change is needed. Teams that are winless in conference are not close to turning things around.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
He was already given another year. ISU was 5-13 in Big 12 play during the 2019/20 season. By going going 0-18 in Big 12 play this season, sounds to me like he LEFT the ship.

A change is needed. Teams that are winless in conference are not close to turning things around.

I'm not great at math, but is that a 5-31 record over two years?

Yeah. That's worth a third or fourth chance. We're well past second chances at this point

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It might not be the right time for TJ but how do you know he's "deficient in the X and O part"? I watched most of the UNLV game last night. There was nothing wrong with TJs game plan or coaching. He just had lesser players and they wore down. The guys he would count on to score weren't and that was the ball game.
How does UNLV end up with a roster that ends up near Prohm’s disaster season in KenPom, despite getting coached well?

Why has his defenses been mediocre, if not poor?

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not great at math, but is that a 5-31 record over two years?

Yeah. That's worth a third or fourth chance. We're well past second chances at this point
In the past two years, Iowa State football has won 2 more games than Iowa State basketball has. Iowa State football has won 8 more conference games than Iowa State basketball has.

Iowa State football has played 25 total games, 18 against conference opponents.

Iowa State basketball has played 56 total games, 36 against conference opponents.

gj524

Aug 10, 2018
Fred turned out to be a homerun hire despite his lack of coaching experience. I don't think that means that a coach with a limited track record of either turning a program around or winning a lot of games as a head coach should be looked at as the ideal replacement.

I want the next coach to have a passion for being at ISU (which has been claimed for TJ), and TJ has shown he could recruit here well as an assistant. But, IMO he hasn't shown he can improve a team as a head coach enough YET that he should be our default/primary candidate right now.

If he's hired, it certainly could work out, but I think the odds of success are greater with a more proven head coach.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Fred turned out to be a homerun hire despite his lack of coaching experience. I don't think that means that a coach with a limited track record of either turning a program around or winning a lot of games as a head coach should be looked at as the ideal replacement.

I want the next coach to have a passion for being at ISU (which has been claimed for TJ), and TJ has shown he could recruit here well as an assistant. But, IMO he hasn't shown he can improve a team as a head coach enough YET that he should be our default/primary candidate right now.

If he's hired, it certainly could work out, but I think the odds of success are greater with a more proven head coach.
Very well put

Reactions: cyclonehomer

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

From our experiences here, the ones with a "passion for being at ISU" tend to suck.
Get me an ambitious coach who wins and we'll figure out the rest later.

Frankly, if I hear someone say they're passionate to be at ISU, I have my doubts about them (unless they say it as an obvious PR line----even then, it leads to trouble down the road). Give me "I want to win," then do the winning, and that's fine. I don't care if they want to stay here or not. Nobody should care about that.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
It seems like his colleagues on the selection committee would prefer that he's not distracted by a firing if he doesn't have to be. If he chooses to be distracted by it it might be a poorer reflection on ISU.
Maybe this can be argued against. Maybe they wouldn't mind if he had less time to devote to the committee. Maybe the time Jamie would have to devote to dealing with the firing wouldn't be significant.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Honestly, I think whoever gets hired, it's going to take a while for me to get interested again like I was a few years ago..

I had the same thought. But then I watched the women's game this morning and was immediately sucked back in. Good coaching, good game planning, fun to watch basketball. If the new coach can bring that back, I'll jump all the way back in.

Reactions: psychlone99

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
From our experiences here, the ones with a "passion for being at ISU" tend to suck.

Frankly, if I hear someone say they're passionate to be at ISU, I have my doubts about them (unless they say it as an obvious PR line----even then, it leads to trouble down the road). Give me "I want to win," then do the winning, and that's fine. I don't care if they want to stay here or not. Nobody should care about that.
I agree with both of you. I like how Matt Campbell talks about loving ISU and Ames, but if he sucked, I’d be having similar feelings towards him as a do Prohm. He’s a unicorn though. Incredibly tough to find a coach that loves Ames AND is a terrific coach.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019

This is exactly right. Barring a repeat of Chizik, if whoever the next coach is ends up being successful enough to get a true blue blood gig after a few years, it means good things have happened to the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.