Steele Jantz...

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
He still needs to work on his decision making. A couple of times he was looking for e big play on 3rd down when the yardage for first down was available. But it was better than last year. If he can improve that, it could get good this year.

I thought the play calling for 3 and short was a little questionable yesterday. And the read option for a safety. But other than that I thought playcalling was very good.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I was starting to worry that we were going to the well once too often with the wide receiver screens. I figured that either Tulsa was going to jump the play and get a pick 6 or Steele was going to pump fake and our receiver would blow past the Dback for a wide open touchdown. But I know we were just taking what the defense was giving us and I like that approach much more than what Herman was trying to do last year. It will be interesting to see how Iowa tries to defend it. I bet they try to press our receivers more and force us to throw more vertical.
I thought our wideouts blocked these plays pretty well. They looked physical, receivers looked shifty.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
My only quibble with SJ's performance was the fact that he ran backwards 10 yards on two or three busted plays. On the one hand he has the "escapability" to make that work sometimes, on the other hand those are drive killers a majority of the time. Step up in the pocket, throw it out of bounds, or just eat it.

That said, I thought he played a really good game. Decision making seemed faster and more definitive than last year.

So, he ran backwards twice and those were drive killers the majority of the time?

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
if the dude can continue to complete 70+% of his passes on the season....we will win our fair share of games. we move the ball on offense, put up points, rest the defense. and repeat.

CyStorm

Aug 9, 2009
Ames via Storm Lake
He did look good for the most part. A couple of the sacks, he had absolutely no chance. The high throw, then pick wasn't that good of a pass. Made some good plays running also. Off to a good start!

It wasn't the best throw, but I thought it was a catch-able ball. Especially when it was to the tallest receiver (TE) that we have. Yet those are bound to happen when you throw the ball 45 times a game.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Told ya guys he would be alot better this year.

Haha, as did more than half of the board. As for the other half, they could still be correct, only one game.

My only quibble with SJ's performance was the fact that he ran backwards 10 yards on two or three busted plays. On the one hand he has the "escapability" to make that work sometimes, on the other hand those are drive killers a majority of the time. Step up in the pocket, throw it out of bounds, or just eat it.
Agree 100%. Jantz is a good at escaping, but he needs to learn when to escape (and not by going 10 yards backwards), and when to move in the pocket.

If I were an opposing team, I'd blitz the snot out of us. I have yet to see us burn anyone when we are pressured. Rutgers had a field day doing this against us and it seemed Tulsa did the same. Not sure whey they didn't do it more.

Me too. Even if we pick up the blitz, our routes are likely to be horizontal and with-in 10 yards of the LOS.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
not worried about his scrambling yesterday. By the end of the season he will have made a lot more plays doing that than not.

While it wasn't extremely windy, it seemed to affect the deep throwing game some.

Otherwise, he did a great job. Made nice decisions in the read option game.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I think we continue to see 63% and up from Steele. We all can tell the staff likes that bubble screen and screen plays. Thats going to get him going. BTW after the first half I thought for sure Steele was going to toss for about 350 yards yesterday...but we went to the running game 2nd half. Great game by Steele and showed us all he is a much improved QB.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
What looked the same about Steele though was him throwing the ball about 12" above his receiver's helmet over and over. It was so aggravating. And we were so lucky his one long pass for a touchdown wasn't picked. He threw that one off of his front @&$#ing foot again.

But the kid showed a new poise in the pocket I hadn't seen before and he didn't try forcing throws. I honestly have to say I'd have loved to have seen him take off running a couple of times as he really had some opportunity there. But he did a nice job and it was great to see some improvement there.

Isn't throwing off the back foot the one that is most troublesome?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I assumed that was what he meant. But when his offensive lineman is on top of him it's hard to step forward. If he did, I assume he would've overthrown Josh.

For reference:

LenzTD2.gif

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was ok with him taking those sacks. We did a poor job of picking up the blitz and last year Jantz would have thrown those balls up for grabs. Sack is better than interception. I would guess doing a better job with the blitz will be an emphasis this week.
Sack>Interception, but most of the time OBP (Out of Bounds Pass)> Sack. :wink:

I won't take anything away from him for standing tall in the pocket though.

Isn't throwing off the back foot the one that is most troublesome?
That's what I thought. And considering that he had a defender (and blocker) in his face on the followthrough, I thought it was an astonishingly good pass.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Haha, as did more than half of the board. As for the other half, they could still be correct, only one game.

I was one of the very few at the end of last year. People didn't start jumping on the bandwagon until after the Spring game. Well actually most didn't jump on until he was named starter.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Two things:

After seeing that GIF of the Lenz TD, that play was much, much better than I thought originally. I thought he threw off his back foot, but he stepped into it as much as he could and he knew he would have one on one coverage based on the post game interview on cyclones.tv

Also, if you see the CFTV highlight video, you can see that Steele hit the TE right in the hands at chest level and it just bounced off his hands.

Steele was even better than I thought at first glance yesterday.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I was one of the very few at the end of last year. People didn't start jumping on the bandwagon until after the Spring game. Well actually most didn't jump on until he was named starter.

Good joke. Yeah, CF has really been in agreement on the QB position since AA graduated.

You and your imaginary plight.

Because that matters.
I'd settle for it being true, let alone mattering.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Maybe someone should just post the old Waynes World/Steele Jantz picture for old times sake. You know, the one that always got posted when I was the only one that thought Jantz would be the starting QB.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I thought Jantz played well overall. Maybe its just because we didn't get much of a look at a 100% Jantz last year but I thought he looked quicker than I remember

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I thought Jantz played well overall. Maybe its just because we didn't get much of a look at a 100% Jantz last year but I thought he looked quicker than I remember

Some people hate using the "injury" excuse, but to be honest it was probably a cause for alot of his problems last year.