Starting 5 without Royce???

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Melvin was more steady correct.

Babb and McGee were very streaky too.

Both averaged 5 and 4 ppg respectively over the last 9 games.

agree - those two really fell off (scoring-wise) at the end of the year. I expect that they will step up into a scoring role knowing Allen and Scotty are gone.

I aslo think that we may be more of a defensive (forcing TO's) team next year. Yup - Defense and fast-break... that's what our identity will be. (i just decided this now)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Gibson does need to get better in regard to rebounding and defense. However, he hasn't had an offseason in the weight room yet. I think we'll see a different kid next year and he's our only legit post scorer. He'll be great next year. Check out his shooting percentage in the last few games.

I'm thrilled to go into next season with our roster as is.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Babb looked like he was going to be a steady scorer early on, then after a couple of conference games, he kind of just shut off. I'm sure his top priority for the off-season is his scoring.

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
We are out of schollys so we probably shouldn't plan on any additions unless one frees up. I agree with lucious, babb, ejim, and clyburn with the 5th spot up for grabs. Most likely booker or Gibson. Niang is going to be good, but very few are ready for big 12 play their first year. Hopefully Gibson wont have the sophomore slump like many players have. Will be interesting to see how Fred runs an offense. The last 2 years its been primarily through 1 guy. (dg, then white). Do we run it through clyburn, someone else or will it be a different style all together. I'm guessing it goes through clyburn. If he puts clyburn in a position to be highly drafted that would be huge for recruiting especially on top of what white did this year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Babb will get his shooting shoes on. At Penn State he was a shooter. Maybe he will take more short jumpers.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Gibson does need to get better in regard to rebounding and defense. However, he hasn't had an offseason in the weight room yet. I think we'll see a different kid next year and he's our only legit post scorer. He'll be great next year. Check out his shooting percentage in the last few games.

I'm thrilled to go into next season with our roster as is.

Gibson was here all last summer so yes has had an off season in the weight room. He just needs to improve his defense and rebounding.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We are out of schollys so we probably shouldn't plan on any additions unless one frees up. I agree with lucious, babb, ejim, and clyburn with the 5th spot up for grabs. Most likely booker or Gibson. Niang is going to be good, but very few are ready for big 12 play their first year. Hopefully Gibson wont have the sophomore slump like many players have. Will be interesting to see how Fred runs an offense. The last 2 years its been primarily through 1 guy. (dg, then white). Do we run it through clyburn, someone else or will it be a different style all together. I'm guessing it goes through clyburn. If he puts clyburn in a position to be highly drafted that would be huge for recruiting especially on top of what white did this year.

teams with a lot of height, and big physical size will give us fits. I really think we need another big man to come in so we can play against those type of teams.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
teams with a lot of height, and big physical size will give us fits. I really think we need another big man to come in so we can play against those type of teams.

There really aren't a whole lot of those around.

Old style line-ups (7 foot center, 6-10 power forward, 6-6 small forward, 6-4 shooting guard) are not used that much anymore.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Babb spent so much energy on d that I think that may have hurt his ppg. If we have others help with the d we could get him some rest while on the floor and get his legs back.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Being awarded the "defensive stopper" role can definitely effect your shooting.

I personally went from a lights-out shooter to someone who shot like the lights were out.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There really aren't a whole lot of those around.

Old style line-ups (7 foot center, 6-10 power forward, 6-6 small forward, 6-4 shooting guard) are not used that much anymore.

I have to agree unless you are playing the Big 10. These days you are more likely to see a big lineup like this: 6-10, 6-8, 6-7, 6-6, 6-3 - the problem with size ends up at 1, 2 and 3.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Can't leave Tyrus McGee out of this discussion.

He's so great coming off the bench, I'd have to think he stays in that role. The only way I see McGee starting is if Babb starts at the 3 again and Clyburn slides to the 4 and Ejim comes off the bench, but that's not likely.

Or if Lucious has issues and McGee magically learns how to play the point over the summer. :smile:

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Lucious
Babb
Clyburn
Ejim

Not sure on the 5th.
Could go Tyrus. Could go Booker or Percy. If we get a guy like Locket or Oriaki, I think they'd probably start.

Booker has so much damn talent, I hope he gets his head right this off season. He is a freakish talent that can physically match up with ANY 4 in college basketball.

I'm not sure that any of the freshman will see a ton of minutes. We'll have 5 seniors...

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
Lucious
Babb
Clyburn
Ejim
Gibson/Booker

With Tyrus and Bubu in rotation with the three guards. Also, Niang will probably get in the mix. Hopefully someone else will step up like Tyrus did this year.