Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Interesting to hear the thoughts so far on the recent episode of Andor. I personally thought it was yet again another FANTASTIC episode. Was it action packed and exciting? No, but not much of Andor is and it just isn't meant to be. This series is clearly something different. With that said, until this episode, I can't say I've ever grasped the hopelessness caused by living under the Empire more than I have now. In fact, its to the point where it feels debilitating just watching it. The amazing part about this is how differently it now frames all of Star Wars moving forward. It is like all of Star Wars suddenly just got a little bit better, which is an impressive feat. The two surprise characters to show up throughout the episode was really great and organic too. The first surprise character put on one heck of a performance throughout, like usual for him. As for the second surprise character, his monologue near the end was one of the best acted and best written monologues in all of Star Wars. I can't help but be amazed how this series continues to be on point in every single category which make a series great, whether it be acting, directing, writing, cinematography or whatever.
Yeah this series really gives the entire Star Wars saga a different feel. It's kind of the "ugly" under belly of what really happened during the rebellion. What we see in the rest of the series is almost like the history book version written to highlight all the good parts and gloss over the rest. This definitely feels more real to what it would be like to be in a rebellion against the empire. I wish more of Star Wars had some of this going on. It would make it better (from my adult perspective but I understand why they don't).

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Interesting to hear the thoughts so far on the recent episode of Andor. I personally thought it was yet again another FANTASTIC episode. Was it action packed and exciting? No, but not much of Andor is and it just isn't meant to be. This series is clearly something different. With that said, until this episode, I can't say I've ever grasped the hopelessness caused by living under the Empire more than I have now. In fact, its to the point where it feels debilitating just watching it. The amazing part about this is how differently it now frames all of Star Wars moving forward. It is like all of Star Wars suddenly just got a little bit better, which is an impressive feat. The two surprise characters to show up throughout the episode was really great and organic too. The first surprise character put on one heck of a performance throughout, like usual for him. As for the second surprise character, his monologue near the end was one of the best acted and best written monologues in all of Star Wars. I can't help but be amazed how this series continues to be on point in every single category which make a series great, whether it be acting, directing, writing, cinematography or whatever.

I need clarification on who you mean by "surprise characters?"

I know one was Saw Gurera (sp?) -- who was the other?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
There’s a dude in the prison that was in Rogue One. I can’t remember his name though. Nice tie in. Also, Mothma….. hubba hubba.

Edit: this guy. Ruescott Melshi

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Watching Tales right now. I'm enjoying it. Plenty of Dooku's backstory going on.

As kind of a heretic on this regard, I haven't seen Rogue One yet, so Andor didn't really register with me. I lasted only a couple episodes. I might try it again, but it wasn't my thing this time.

Best Star Wars movie in the whole series, IMO. Even better then "The Empire Strikes Back."

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonscin

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
OK. I'm going to say it. Andor is the best series made since Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul. Not just the best Star Wars series, but the best overall. Disney has finally hit the mark after some good but not great series in Star Wars and Marvel universes

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Best Star Wars movie in the whole series, IMO. Even better then "The Empire Strikes Back."

While I'm not sure it tops Empire for me, its def number 2 and the drop off it pretty far to number 3. Excellent movie. I would be curious to see the first cut of the movie.

Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

One of the reasons I'm so pleased with Andor is that I honestly do not get the hype around Rogue One at all. I think I've seen it maybe twice and outside of rewatching the "Vader in a hallway" scene many times I can't even really tell you a lot of what is done or said in the movie.

Rogue One is like Solo to me. Enjoyable movie, had a good time, not really something I need to revisit. Honestly if I had to pick between Solo and Rogue One I'd probably pick Solo if I was just going to watch a movie tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: TKlone3

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Rogue One was the movie where it felt like the Rebels were actually doing rebely stuff. ESB and RotJ had a fair amount, but the focus still was more on waving around laser swords. Solo didn't have lasers swords, but the feeling was still there.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
One of the reasons I'm so pleased with Andor is that I honestly do not get the hype around Rogue One at all. I think I've seen it maybe twice and outside of rewatching the "Vader in a hallway" scene many times I can't even really tell you a lot of what is done or said in the movie.

Rogue One is like Solo to me. Enjoyable movie, had a good time, not really something I need to revisit. Honestly if I had to pick between Solo and Rogue One I'd probably pick Solo if I was just going to watch a movie tonight.

Two words; Hammerhead. Corvette.

But seriously, IMO the action set pieces (particularly the Battle of Scarif, which I think takes up basically the last 45 minutes of the movie or so) are the best for any Star Wars movie.

And it's not just mindless action that's fun for the eyes either. There's meaning behind it; all of those deaths for the ensemble mean something. The motivations and character development that get blended in with the action are what put it on top for me.

Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Two words; Hammerhead. Corvette.

But seriously, IMO the action set pieces (particularly the Battle of Scarif, which I think takes up basically the last 45 minutes of the movie or so) are the best for any Star Wars movie.

And it's not just mindless action that's fun for the eyes either. There's meaning behind it; all of those deaths for the ensemble mean something. The motivations and character development that get blended in with the action are what put it on top for me.

I think I didn't connect with the group that well. Sounds bad but their deaths weren't particularly meaningful for me.

Actually come to think of it can't think of their names. Donnie Yen, Riz Ahmed, etc.

If you watched Rebels the Hammerhead Corvette was in several episodes before Rogue One hit theaters, so that wasn't surprising.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think I didn't connect with the group that well. Sounds bad but their deaths weren't particularly meaningful for me.

Actually come to think of it can't think of their names. Donnie Yen, Riz Ahmed, etc.

If you watched Rebels the Hammerhead Corvette was in several episodes before Rogue One hit theaters, so that wasn't surprising.

Fair enough and to each their own.

K-2SO's death was actually the toughest for me; I remember people in the theater audibly moaned in anguish when he took too many laser blasts.

I haven't gotten into the Star Wars Animated series, so that was my first time seeing the Hammerhead Corvette.

Cyclonscin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Fair enough and to each their own.

K-2SO's death was actually the toughest for me; I remember people in the theater audibly moaned in anguish when he took too many laser blasts.

I haven't gotten into the Star Wars Animated series, so that was my first time seeing the Hammerhead Corvette.
"Climb!" has quickly become one of the most heart breaking lines in Star Wars thanks to Rogue One and Andor.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If anyone hasn't seen Tales of the Jedi yet, you are missing out. While not every episode is spectacular, episode 4 is about as good as anything we've seen in Star Wars, and the overall arc of the series is pretty good too.

• Informative
Reactions: CloniesForLife

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
"Climb!" has quickly become one of the most heart breaking lines in Star Wars thanks to Rogue One and Andor.

To paraphrase Han Solo, I have a bad feeling that the cute little robot (B?) in Andor is going to get killed by the Empire, and that's what will really put Andor over the top and into the waiting arms of the Rebellion.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored