Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I will take a moment to say that I think this article is a good example of how Star Wars fans are completely full of ****. For YEARS, they've been saying they want a gritty Star Wars with adult themes and great production value. They have it now and nobody cares. I love SW, literally some of my first memories are sitting down and watching it. But I absolutely hate this fandom right now.

I'm still being a little patient to see what the actual viewing numbers get reported like to see how much disparity we are actually working with. What that article is using is not a viewing metric. With that said, one tough thing Andor is always going to be fighting against is the more you go for adults, the more you lose kids, and kids are a big compenent of Star Wars fans. My family is no different. My 3 little girls are only so-so on Star Wars, but love The Mandalorian. However, I don't even try to get them to watch Andor as I know they wouldn't like it at all even though I love it. They would think it is way too slow and boring.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I would probably agree with this. Mando and Andor are quite a bit better than any D+ Marvel stuff. Although I would say both franchises have struggled a little with consistency. If I were to do a quick Trigger ranking of them off the top of my head I would go:

Tier 1 (these are basically tied for me)
1a: Andor
1b: Mando

Tier 2
Loki
Wandavision (Not sure how rewatchable this one is but I really enjoyed the mystery the first time through)
Book of Boba Fett (honestly when Mando got involved saved this series IMO)
She Hulk (I had trouble placing this one in Tier 2, just a really enjoyable series and Tatiana was awesome as Jen/She-Hulk)
Moonknight
Obi Wan (had some awesome moments and some down moments)

Tier 3
Ms. Marvel (Started great and the last episode was good but I thought the middle was a confusing mess and it left out some great characters for multiple episodes)
Hawkeye
Falcon and Winter Soldier

I am sure I would rank them a little different if I thought more about it.

I like your style, but here would be my own equivalent list. While both Marvel and Star Wars are spread throughout, yes, I'd say Marvel has proportionately more in the lower tiers in general.

Tier 1
Mando
Andor
Wandavision

Tier 2
Loki
Werewolf by Night
Obi Wan
Ms Marvel

Tier 3
She Hulk
Hawkeye
Book of Boba Fett
Moon Knight

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
I will take a moment to say that I think this article is a good example of how Star Wars fans are completely full of ****. For YEARS, they've been saying they want a gritty Star Wars with adult themes and great production value. They have it now and nobody cares. I love SW, literally some of my first memories are sitting down and watching it. But I absolutely hate this fandom right now.

Star Wars fans are some of the best and worst. It really is a weird mix of die hards and crybabies that arent sure what they really want.

I like to tell my boys to sit back and enjoy them for what they are. The movies/shows wont be perfect and thats ok.

Reactions: GTO

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I like your style, but here would be my own equivalent list. While both Marvel and Star Wars are spread throughout, yes, I'd say Marvel has proportionately more in the lower tiers in general.

Tier 1
Mando
Andor
Wandavision

Tier 2
Loki
Werewolf by Night
Obi Wan
Ms Marvel

Tier 3
She Hulk
Hawkeye
Book of Boba Fett
Moon Knight
I still need to watch Werewolf by Night! I'm excited for that

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion but I've thought that all the Star Wars stuff on D+ has been way better than the Marvel series' have been. I've watched pretty much all of them but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch She Hulk or Ms Marvel because of how disappointed I've been in the shows before that.
All of those shows before were much better than now. Hope that changes soon. But yes the Star Wars stuff feels higher quality but I think there are better controls in place. Less experimental. I liked book of boba fett however it basically turned in to Mando. Wasn’t super consistent.

LOVE the writing and visuals of Andor.

Reactions: mramseyISU

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Other predictions: (I know it comes out Wednesdays but I've not watched it yet...)

- The heros will have some kind of moral dilemma to overcome. Like when they pull off their heist, there are natives on the launch track thing and they have to decide if they will run them over for the "greater good."
- One of the heros will get injured, but not killed, and Andor will have to kill him off so that he doesn't get captured and interrogated.

Well, there was a moral dilemma -- it was killing Skeen!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Great day for Star Wars fans with not only another new episode of Andor, but also the first seasons of Tales of the Jedi.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Don't forget we also get Tales of the Jedi this week. Getting back story on Count Dooku when he was still a Jedi and more Ahsoka moments are going to be nice.
and another Yaddle sighting!

I just hope that SW gets smart and starts a complete thrawn saga starting with Zahn's books. Hopefully, Ashoka will launches that interest. Thrawn is such a great character, villian to some, savior to others, tactual genius.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
and another Yaddle sighting!

I just hope that SW gets smart and starts a complete thrawn saga starting with Zahn's books. Hopefully, Ashoka will launches that interest. Thrawn is such a great character, villian to some, savior to others, tactual genius.

I am excited to get anything Thrawn moving forward as I believe he brings an element to the live-action realm we have yet to see

NWtornado

Dec 20, 2021
Watched the 1st 2 episodes of the new Tales of the Jedi. My expectations were fairly low and somehow they still came up short. Hopefully the next couple get better.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Haven't had a chance to watch Tales yet. Hopefully tonight. Andor continues to be great. Episode 8 didn't quite reach the heights of 6 and 7 for me, but that's a pretty high bar. Still an excellent episode and Andor continues to be the best thing currently on TV right now IMO.

Reactions: Triggermv

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Haven't had a chance to watch Tales yet. Hopefully tonight. Andor continues to be great. Episode 8 didn't quite reach the heights of 6 and 7 for me, but that's a pretty high bar. Still an excellent episode and Andor continues to be the best thing currently on TV right now IMO.

You had about 5 or 6 different storylines going on in this episode which left things feeling a bit disjointed. I think a longer stretch on Andor's story would have helped really drive home the hopelessness of his situation. It also goes to show you that they really were wrong in calling the series Andor. This really is about the birth of the Rebel Alliance, Andor is just the bridge to a known film.

Haven't watched Tales yet either.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Watching Tales right now. I'm enjoying it. Plenty of Dooku's backstory going on.

As kind of a heretic on this regard, I haven't seen Rogue One yet, so Andor didn't really register with me. I lasted only a couple episodes. I might try it again, but it wasn't my thing this time.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Watching Tales right now. I'm enjoying it. Plenty of Dooku's backstory going on.

As kind of a heretic on this regard, I haven't seen Rogue One yet, so Andor didn't really register with me. I lasted only a couple episodes. I might try it again, but it wasn't my thing this time.
It really doesn't hit it's stride until episode 3. Episodes 6 and 7 is some of the best tv I've seen in quite a while. Hopefully you'll give it another try someday.

• Agree
Reactions: bos

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Interesting to hear the thoughts so far on the recent episode of Andor. I personally thought it was yet again another FANTASTIC episode. Was it action packed and exciting? No, but not much of Andor is and it just isn't meant to be. This series is clearly something different. With that said, until this episode, I can't say I've ever grasped the hopelessness caused by living under the Empire more than I have now. In fact, its to the point where it feels debilitating just watching it. The amazing part about this is how differently it now frames all of Star Wars moving forward. It is like all of Star Wars suddenly just got a little bit better, which is an impressive feat. The two surprise characters to show up throughout the episode was really great and organic too. The first surprise character put on one heck of a performance throughout, like usual for him. As for the second surprise character, his monologue near the end was one of the best acted and best written monologues in all of Star Wars. I can't help but be amazed how this series continues to be on point in every single category which make a series great, whether it be acting, directing, writing, cinematography or whatever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron