Spencer Jones

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't think there are special legal rules for boxers and MMA fighters in fights.
Not a fighter but this guy got the book thrown at him because he was a lethal weapon.
MV5BZGNiZDQ5ZDYtODRhYi00OWRiLThhZjktZDU5YmY0ZmZiN2U1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DurangoCy and Gorm

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
There are no special rules, but I believe it's one of those things that can be argued based on the training/skills you have. You can use the minimum necessary force to defend yourself. Is there a point where a trained fighter crosses the minimum necessary imaginary line?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Several Iowa State wrestlers at my best friends bachelor party in mid 80s. Bus ended tour at strip club in Cambridge. Said wrestler gently picked stripper off the stage for an elevated lap dance and spin knocking table of beers off said large local boys. After gently repositioning said stripper bsck on stage wrestler offers to buy a round and locals said no. Punched said wrestler square in face and got no reaction from him.... for about 3 seconds. Ended very badly for locals. More to story after bus pulled over on way back to Ames by local Cambridge sheriff. Lots of cash put into deputy hat to cover damage. On we went. The good ol days.
Ah, Chris' Go Go. The good ole days, indeed.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As many have referenced, there is an enormous difference between a fighter and an athlete. I don't care how much you can bench, how fast you run, how big your muscles are, etc., those wrestlers and MMA dudes are a different breed.

I can remember certain people of this background at college parties and it always seemed to be a "not if but when" with them getting in a fight.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The short, quick punch followed by a takedown is an effective way to shut a guy up. Seen it happen a few times up close and it ended ugly.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There are no special rules, but I believe it's one of those things that can be argued based on the training/skills you have. You can use the minimum necessary force to defend yourself. Is there a point where a trained fighter crosses the minimum necessary imaginary line?
FWIW, Parizek was on 1460 this AM and he thought it would be a tough case against the MMA guy.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
As many have referenced, there is an enormous difference between a fighter and an athlete. I don't care how much you can bench, how fast you run, how big your muscles are, etc., those wrestlers and MMA dudes are a different breed.

I can remember certain people of this background at college parties and it always seemed to be a "not if but when" with them getting in a fight.

Most of the time it's all about speed. I've seen huge musclebound guys get owned by much smaller guys who knew how to fight because the big guys just move so slow. Before they know what's happening they've taken a half-dozen shots to the head.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: g4ce and BigCyFan

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
We should start a fundraiser for a CycloneFanatic version of Rough N Rowdy.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
FWIW, Parizek was on 1460 this AM and he thought it would be a tough case against the MMA guy.

I think the excessive would come from you took him down and punched him a bunch, obviously won the fight, but did you also need the rear naked choke hold? (Not sure what that move actually is, just heard it before.)

It may be a tough case, but you know a lawyer will sure try.

Either way, I still enjoyed the video.

Reactions: JP4CY

4CY4EVR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 17, 2010
The problem is you mix alcohol, testosterone , egos, usually a fight occurs and someone gets their a** kicked.. usually it’s over something silly.. if dudes would just shake hands and take the high road, the world would be a better place..

Reactions: Fishhead

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Per some reports floating around, the Askren look-alike turned to his colleague and was honestly not interested in fighting but then the douche canoe in the denim coat pushed him and that was kind of it.

Also, bowing up and saying "Get the f__k outta' here," is not deescalating. If Spencer Jones' representative believes that, I have a bridge to sell him.

Reactions: JP4CY and Drew0311

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I have been in both spots. Got my ass kicked and kick some ass. Neither time did any lawyers get involved. I took my loss and went home. Every fight I have ever been in the loser goes home and it’s over. Also never even had to hire a lawyer to be my spokesperson either. Take your beating and move on. Especially if you were instigating like Spencer and Canadian tuxedo guy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Funniest bar fight I ever saw was in the balcony of the Billboard bar in Ames (long gone) 2 guys went at it tipped over about 3 of those tall bar tables their friends split them up before the bouncers got upstairs, denied there was a problem, then 10 minutes later the 2 that got into it were splitting a pitcher. Alcohol can lead to some interesting stories/results.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think the excessive would come from you took him down and punched him a bunch, obviously won the fight, but did you also need the rear naked choke hold? (Not sure what that move actually is, just heard it before.)

It may be a tough case, but you know a lawyer will sure try.

Either way, I still enjoyed the video.
To me the only really excessive thing I saw was the end with the dude in the beanie and denim guy.

Im interested to hear how it all got started.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
To me the only really excessive thing I saw was the end with the dude in the beanie and denim guy.

Im interested to hear how it all got started.

I would say he did not get excessive. It's not the UFC with a ref. When you are in a bar fight you have to win and go hard if nobody is stepping in. If you allow the guy back up and back off, a lot of guys will restart the fight now that they are not getting beat. Every fight I have been in with the exception of one was broken up and there was a little blood. One I had the guy down. Thought I did enough and stopped, dude got back up and started throwing again. I think part of the problem these days is people not breaking the fight up. Usually you kind of do a hockey fight type situation. When someone get's the upper hand and lands a few, people should jump in and stop it.

Reactions: cyputz

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I would say he did not get excessive. It's not the UFC with a ref. When you are in a bar fight you have to win and go hard if nobody is stepping in. If you allow the guy back up and back off, a lot of guys will restart the fight now that they are not getting beat. Every fight I have been in with the exception of one was broken up and there was a little blood. One I had the guy down. Thought I did enough and stopped, dude got back up and started throwing again. I think part of the problem these days is people not breaking the fight up. Usually you kind of do a hockey fight type situation. When someone get's the upper hand and lands a few, people should jump in and stop it.

I was surprised by that too. Especially at the end when beanie guy was wailing on turtleneck boy, who looked to be out cold from the throw into the wall.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I was surprised by that too. Especially at the end when beanie guy was wailing on turtleneck boy, who looked to be out cold from the throw into the wall.
That’s the part I didn’t like.

The rest, whatever. Tough to judge one side or the other without knowing exactly what caused it.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

I'm guessing most of those guys saw what was happening and didn't try to break it up in fear of getting themselves in a similar situation as Jones and Turtleneck. The thing I hate about society these days is the fact that somebody took the effort to record video of the fight but nobody thought to stop it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm guessing most of those guys saw what was happening and didn't try to break it up in fear of getting themselves in a similar situation as Jones and Turtleneck. The thing I hate about society these days is the fact that somebody took the effort to record video of the fight but nobody thought to stop it.
Too much WWE influence there as guy recording it gives blow by blow commentary and cheers them on.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Idiots in a huddle. If they have that kind of need to fight, I suggest a tour in the U.S. Marines where it will be used to some good purpose.