"Some B12 Coaches Don't Like Scott Drew"

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Article from the Houston Chronicle a week ago. Appears Drew has a bad reputation for 'negative recruiting'.

For some reason, I can't copy Chronicle URLs, but here is a summary:

NEW ORLEANS — Some Big 12 coaches just don't like Scott Drew. And everybody knows it.
Smartly, the Baylor basketball coach downplays any rifts.
Drew says the coaches in the Big 12 are much “tighter†now than they were when he arrived in the league seven years ago.
As evidence of that, he pointed to text messages he received from league brethren after his Bears advanced in the NCAA Tournament with a 68-59 victory over Sam Houston State on Thursday.
“I got a number of text messages, (saying) ‘congratulations' or ‘good luck' or ‘we'll be cheering for you,' †said Drew, whose team faces Old Dominion today in the second round. “I think sometimes something might get out (about discord), and now all of a sudden people think perception is reality.â€
In this case, reality is the perception, and Drew knows it. Actually, it's kind of funny.
Even though they might want Baylor to represent the league well with a nice run in the NCAA Tournament, it's a good bet Drew didn't get text messages from all of the 11 other programs in the conference. Bookmakers would set the over/under at seven.
As one Big 12 assistant coach recently told me: “The best way to put it is there is some tension between our staff and his staff, and it's because of the way they've done things. Let's just leave it at that.â€
Problem is the other coaches won't leave it at that. You bring up Drew and they are apt to go off.
As likable as Drew is, he has irked some coaches with his recruiting style, crossing lines, they say, that coaches shouldn't cross, particularly with so-called negative recruiting tactics. Generally, they stop short of accusing the Bears of outright cheating. But only just short.
It is fascinating to watch. But if you like underdogs, you're rooting for Drew and his Bears to keep getting it done. (And for Drew, who is almost certain to start popping up on wish lists for open jobs, to keep getting it done at Baylor.)
The big boys in the Big 12 need tweaking every now and then. Drew has done some tweaking.
He took over a program that was reeling after a player murdered a teammate and former coach Dave Bliss was caught in major rules violations. But the young, aggressive and ridiculously optimistic Drew hit the recruiting trail like a guy who was running an elite program.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My guess is those doing the bulk of the complaining are the ones that were beat at their own game (to include Self and Barnes).

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Sour grapes for most of the league it sounds like. The dude wins...period. Plus, he obviously has done well getting great players. Wish we would have gotten someone like him 4 years ago.... and kept players around....etc, etc....

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Let's be honest here. Baylor is an Underacheiver and the only reason they made the Elite 8 is because they only had to play a 14 seed, an 11 seed, and a 10 seed. First time they play someone they got beat.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It's funny how the coaches at the bottom of the league are the nicest, classiest guys and the ones that win are shady jerks.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I bet this was Frank Martins text:

my mouth might be saying "congrats", but my eyes are saying "**** You!"

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I would take him at ISU in a heartbeat, the man has a passion for the game.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
It's funny how the coaches at the bottom of the league are the nicest, classiest guys and the ones that win are shady jerks.

Yeah. We are lucky we lose the "right" way. Would hate to do some negative recruiting and get a stacked roster, including a bench. That sure would suck to cheer for and follow.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Everyone does negative recruiting, even the bad teams. Negative recruiting is just saying how your school is better than other schools. It's part of the sales process. I don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal about it, unless it's done in a way that clearly violates the rules.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Yeah. We are lucky we lose the "right" way. Would hate to do some negative recruiting and get a stacked roster, including a bench. That sure would suck to cheer for and follow.

Yea that would totally suck!! I'm so glad Greg McDermott runs a clean program that serves as a revolving door for other great programs!! I'm so proud to be a Cyclone because of Coach McDermott!!! :yes:

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
You guys really think it's okay for a coach to tell a recruit "School X's graduation rate is 0%. At Baylor we help you graduate," when School X has a much higher graduation rate than Baylor?

There's definitely something shady about multiple McDonalds All-Americans going to a small baptist school in Waco. I've said it before, but Drew lives in the gray area. It's going to catch up to him at some point.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Why are we assuming that Mac runs a clean program?
Because he is a loser?

And then we go on to make assumptions about Baylor etc.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Is it negative recruiting when opposing staffs send recruits to this web site to demonstrate how GMAC is on his way out because the "whole" fan base is out to get him fired?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron