"Some B12 Coaches Don't Like Scott Drew"

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Is it negative recruiting when opposing staffs send recruits to this web site to demonstrate how GMAC is on his way out because the "whole" fan base is out to get him fired?

I'm trying to decide if that being true would be more funny than sad, or more sad than funny.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Is it negative recruiting when opposing staffs send recruits to this web site to demonstrate how GMAC is on his way out because the "whole" fan base is out to get him fired?

Is it negative recruiting to show a recruit a picture of McD partying at a UNI pep rally?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Let's be honest here. Baylor is an Underacheiver and the only reason they made the Elite 8 is because they only had to play a 14 seed, an 11 seed, and a 10 seed. First time they play someone they got beat.

But they got into the tournament. And really, for mid pack teams, that's what it's all about. Get there and let the chips fall as they may. I'd take underachieving to the elite 8 any time. Although I would call Baylor and over achiever. They went above expectations. As opposed to Kansas who, imo, was the underachiever.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Drew used to send pictures to recruits of himself, Gillespie, and Bobby Knight (the three of them lined up in some way). The caption would say "which of these coaches has signed a Mcdonald's All American?" There were red Xs crossing out the pictures of Knight and Gillespie. Knight cornered Drew at one point and basically told him that's low and that's not how us coaches do things in the industry. That's just one example.

Really, it sounds to me that Drew will do everything in his power to land a star player and to win. Willing to do whatever it take to land the player. He has ****** off a lot of the other coaches but that is a good thing in my book.

As a fan I would prefer a coach who will go all out to land a star recruit and win to one with "integrity" who is not willing to do whatever it takes.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yeah. We are lucky we lose the "right" way. Would hate to do some negative recruiting and get a stacked roster, including a bench. That sure would suck to cheer for and follow.

That will come in the eight year of The Contract.:wink:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
"Scott,

Sorry your sorry team cannot hit free throws. Yoiu should have won.

Bill"

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Drew used to send pictures to recruits of himself, Gillespie, and Bobby Knight (the three of them lined up in some way). The caption would say "which of these coaches has signed a Mcdonald's All American?" There were red Xs crossing out the pictures of Knight and Gillespie. Knight cornered Drew at one point and basically told him that's low and that's not how us coaches do things in the industry. That's just one example.

Yes, I heard this story just about exactly as you described......

But I wonder why he didn't include a couple other B12 coaches in that line up ?

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
As a Valpo grad, I will root for Scott Drew, his father and his brother Bryce, but I hope he leaves the Big 12 so I can like him even more!

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007
Everyone does negative recruiting, even the bad teams. Negative recruiting is just saying how your school is better than other schools. It's part of the sales process. I don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal about it, unless it's done in a way that clearly violates the rules.

Iowa State does positive recruiting.
"Yes Coach Boeheim, you would love to have Wesley Johnson on your team, he's a great kid."

"Coach Bennett, Justin Hamilton is an excellent kid that just got homesick from Utah, I think Virgina would be a better fit for him than Ames."

"Harrison, North Carolina won the national championship last year, you should go there, Roy Williams is a class act!"

"Doug, Northern Iowa is the best program EVER!! Coach Jacobson is the man and such a cool dude! They actually win son!"

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why are the suppose to like him? They compete for players and in games, its not like they coach on the same team. When Floyd was at Ames he wasnt well liked by everyone.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
John Wooden was a major cheater...paid players. Great coach...a legend but the guy built UCLA by paying players. It's not really a secret among coaches.

Do you have a link to a valid source on this? A book? I've never heard this about Wooden.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yes, I heard this story just about exactly as you described......

But I wonder why he didn't include a couple other B12 coaches in that line up ?

Guessing he was recruiting a Texas player against Tech and A&M.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
And yet another thread started with an article that has nothing to do with ISU turned into an ISU MBB ******** thread.

Help Support Us

Become a patron