So let me get this straight with Colorado...

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
They're leaving for greener pastures in the Pac Ten. Yet, the Pac Ten's average revenue distribution was $10M for the 2009-10 school year, while the Big XII was at $11.6M. And like the Big XII, the Pac Ten has unequal revenue sharing.

Without a Pac 16, there's now probably no conference network on the table, and they've added another team (possibly two with Utah) to share conference revenue.

Both CU and Utah won't bring massive revenue earnings to the table, and if CU starts conference play in 2011, they'll owe the Big XII $10M. So exactly how does CU think they're better off in the Pac Ten?

Last edited:

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
they, like everyone else, probably figured everyone was bailing on the Big12. I bet they just tried to get out before everyone else did.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
They're leaving for greener pastures in the Pac Ten. Yet, the Pac Ten's average revenue distribution was $10M for the 2009-10 school year, while the Big XII was at $11.6M. And like the Big XII, the Pac Ten has unequal revenue sharing.

Without a Pac 16, there's now probably no conference network on the table, and they've added another team (possibly two with Utah) to share conference revenue.

Both CU and Utah won't bring massive revenue earnings to the table, and if CU starts conference play in 2011, they'll owe the Big XII $10M. So exactly how does CU think they're better off in the Pac Ten?

A decent question. I'm not the person best-qualified to answer it.

But I will anyway. :biglaugh:

Actually, my only guesses are:
1. CU has wanted to join the Pac-10 for quite some time (from what I have read)
2. CU may have feared implosion and thought it was safer to jump ... so it may not have been a short-term financial decision.

Reactions: KneeGusto

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006

If CU could not come up with the money to get rid of Hawkins, how can they afford to to pay the Big 12 exit fee?

C

Cyclone42

they, like everyone else, probably figured everyone was bailing on the Big12. I bet they just tried to get out before everyone else did.

Don't remember what happened only a week ago? The powers-that-be at Colorado thought it would be a race against Baylor to get into the Pac-10. News came out that powerful individuals within the Texas state legislature were going to push to have Baylor included in a Pac-10 expansion over Colorado. This likely caused Colorado decision-makers to panic and up their timetable.

I suspect this might partially explain why the rest of the Big12 stayed together. These same powers in the Texas legislature likely switched from trying to get Baylor into the Pac-10 to trying to keep the Big12 intact when they realized that all hope was lost on getting Baylor into the Pac-10.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The amputation of Colorado actually helped save the Big XII.......or is it Big X?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So they're going to pay a buyout fee and then make less money in the Pac 10 than the new proposed TV deal of the Big 12.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
A decent question. I'm not the person best-qualified to answer it.

But I will anyway. :biglaugh:

Actually, my only guesses are:
1. CU has wanted to join the Pac-10 for quite some time (from what I have read)
2. CU may have feared implosion and thought it was safer to jump ... so it may not have been a short-term financial decision.

This. The vote to go to the Big XII was was something like 5-4 by their regents. I think their fans have always been too cool for (B12) school.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Hindsight is 20/20. CU didn't want Baylor to take their spot in the PAC10, so they jumped to beat out Baylor. They also thought the new PAC10 deal would be a huge $$ windfall. None of this is relevant any longer because the teams stayed. CU gambled and missed.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
People, there is no buyout fee. They'll get a portion of their TV revenue in the coming 2 seasons withheld.

Okay fine, the question then is how can they afford their coaches with $4 million less coming in for the next couple of years?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
In 5 years they know they will be in the Pac-whatever. Do we know we'll be in the B12 in 5 years? 10 years?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Okay fine, the question then is how can they afford their coaches with $4 million less coming in for the next couple of years?

The same way we could afford $50,000,000 in stadium improvements? You can always get more money...and you don't know that the Pac 10 won't step in and cover the revenue loss for them.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
People, there is no buyout fee. They'll get a portion of their TV revenue in the coming 2 seasons withheld.

At the Jack, we beat NU in 2010, then CU in 2011? Proper sendoff? Play that bball bye bye song? Have banners telling them "U Made a Mistake" and "Pull Out Your Snowshovels" and "Beebe Man Rules" and "Time will Tell" and "Rust Belt League" and "Left Coast League."

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
In 5 years they know they will be in the Pac-whatever. Do we know we'll be in the B12 in 5 years? 10 years?
New stronger restrictions to leave with the new anticipated Fox 18 year contract.

Last edited:

cysid

Apr 30, 2010
The Pac whatever is a better deal financially because of the NEXT TV contract not the current one. Everything you said is correct TODAY. However when the new contract is signed expect each school to get much more money and expect equal sharing of revenue.

DON'T underestimate the significance that the NCAA sanctions against USC played in this. It is an absolute perfect time to come and get an revenue sharing TV deal in the conference because the one standout team is in a much more difficult position to ask for a larger slice of the pie.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The Pac whatever is a better deal financially because of the NEXT TV contract not the current one. Everything you said is correct TODAY. However when the new contract is signed expect each school to get much more money and expect equal sharing of revenue.

DON'T underestimate the significance that the NCAA sanctions against USC played in this. It is an absolute perfect time to come and get an revenue sharing TV deal in the conference because the one standout team is in a much more difficult position to ask for a larger slice of the pie.

NBC 2008-2015 Notre Dame football:
Notre Dame/NBC Renew Contract - Notre Dame Football | UHND.com

Notre Dame Official Athletic Site

The revenue generated through the NBC contract is a primary reason why Forbes magazine has recognized the substantial financial contributions made by Irish athletics to the University's academic enterprise. In a 2007 survey, Forbes reported that the Notre Dame football program returns $21.1 million to academic initiatives, a total that is more than the survey's next five programs combined.
I do not think this will be extended if NBC could get a major conference instead. Renewal Talks would happen in 2012. NBC might bid on Pac Ten instead.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/20...money-dwindles-so-too-should-its-independenc/

In 2008, NBC ponied up an extension to the Fighting Irish television contract. USA Today reported that the current contract paid Notre Dame in the neighborhood of $9 million per year. The new deal won't begin until 2010, but it's doubtful the rights fees increased very much, since Notre Dame's television ratings have been dwindling for several years. (Last season, the average Notre Dame game on NBC drew less than half the ratings that CBS and ABC averaged for their college football games.) The new NBC deal only covers eight Irish games a year (seven home tilts plus one neutral site game), Television rights for the remaining four away games are part of the rights packages sold by those other teams. The Irish also bring in a share of revenue from the Big East for basketball. But that number is set contractually and isn't particularly large.

For example, Syracuse, a member of the Big East for football and basketball, took in just $4.7 million from the Big East in 2007. Even assuming that Notre Dame gets half of this number (which it likely doesn't, because football floats the boat in college athletics), Notre Dame's television and shared Big East conference revenue in 2009 will be, at best, $11.35 million.

ABC/ESPN/(49% Fox BTN owned) Big Ten: http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/06/15/as-notre-dames-tv-money-dwindles-so-too-should-its-independenc/

Why's that number important? Because in 2008, every school in the Big Ten will clear north of $15 million from the conference, a number that will only increase in years to come.

The Big Ten Network distributed $7.5 million to each conference school last year, and in conjunction with the 10-year, $1-billion deal that the Big Ten signed with ABC/ESPN, there's a whole lot of new television money floating around. Let me repeat that, the Big Ten Network alone has almost equaled the payout for Notre Dame's sacrosanct contract with NBC.

Why would not Fox sell their shares and move solely to $170M Big 12 contract?

CBS/SEC:

Why's that number important? Because in 2008, every school in the Big Ten will clear north of $15 million from the conference, a number that will only increase in years to come. Every school in the SEC will bank, conservatively, $17 million. (Looking at the numbers it's likely the SEC will hit $20 million within a couple of years.)
I would think each gets $20M equally by now.

Fox/Big 12: UT (for sweetener cooperation), Okie (for not going SEC), TAM (for not going SEC) receive $20-23M each and others are left with $14-17M because that is what Fox can pay. UT and Okie get their $3-5M separate netwrok for chess and ads. No reason why the rest cannot have a $1M volleyball/wrestling network. The old contract was only 80-90M total so not sure how teasms are now more than an average $9M (like a Notre Dame).

PAC Ten gets about $70. Now which network is left to shell out big bucks fopr a PAC Ten with Colorado????

CBS is SEC, NBC is ND, Fox is Big 12 (new deal for $170M with Big 12 remnants). It looks lkike NBC needs to forego ND in 2012 and buy a $200M with Pac Ten, especially if it was PAC 16. Now, that may not happen.

Big East makes more than $35M, but they are only a super conference.
CUSA and MWC makes less or $3M a team.
Not much money ever to be paid out if four major networks have their big four tv packages spoken for.
Only NBC may pump more money in after Fox does their thing.

Last edited: