So is Frank Martin still the worst coach ever?

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
" I think they would have done a lot better with a better and/or more experienced coach." No doubt they would have won more games with Huggins with the current players. The only problem with even considering with this is that Martin, Huggins, or Hill were the only three coaches K-State could begin to employ that this bunch of recruits would play for. Dalonte Hill recruited most of this freshman class and they were going to play where ever he was coaching. He was their old AAU coach and they knew and trusted him.

Last edited:

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
For a team like USC, 21-12 is mediocre. For a team like us, it is a good season. There is a difference.

Fact is, both teams are mediocre. They should be better with the talent level that they have.
Both USC and K-state played in really good conferences this year and did very well. Yes they have good players, and they need to, to compete well in those two conferences. Winning 2 out of every 3 is not mediocre. If those players stay another year or two, then you would expect even better results as sophomore's. Its hard to make the case they should/shouldn't have been better since they are all so young........

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
The consensus on this board is that KSU underperformed during their regular season. Nevertheless, most preseason polls had them picked to finish fourth in the Big 12 and they finished in third.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I have rarely seen a thread started which carried so much venom in its initial post. Negative rep, even though I understand your point, for the extremely attacking tone of your posts.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Assistant coach Hill landed Beasley to play for Huggins...but when Huggins jetted to West Virginia they were on the verge of losing Beasley too unless they stayed within the system...and despite having very underwhelming credentials and a shady history, they hired Martin to keep Beasley...I don't fault Martin for taking the job despite this...what assistant coach wouldn't want to coach in the big 12. He just didn't have much of a resume, and was kicked out of coaching high school basketball in the state of florida for recruiting violations...they looked well coached tonight, I will say that, and whether it's Beasley or an off the bench player, Martin isn't afraid to get into his kids...but they did underachieve this year...look at their impressive wins (Kansas, USC) and look at some of their losses (at Nebraska, at Missouri after they suspended half their team, at Baylor who lost 11 of their last 16, at Texas Tech, and a neutral court loss to Texas a&m)...Beasley and Walker are technically freshmen if you want to blame youth, but they have the bodies of NBA veterans and should've contended for the big 12 title. I'm also not a big fan of allowing players to pee in towels in front of 10,000 people...we'll see though how he does when Beasley and Walker leave, and I reserve the right to eat crow if they keep going to the dance, and finishing in the upper half of the conference.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Wow...the hypocrisy of many of our fans is unbelievable. I am no K-State fan and certainly no Frank Martin fan but to continue to knock the guy after what he has accomplished this year is just plain ludicrous. Martin has many of the same excuses you allow for McDermott (new system, young team, etc.) yet you will give the man no credit...unbelievable.

There is one consistent theme though...wait until next year...wait until next year and McDermott will show you how great he is...wait until next year and you will see how lousy Martin is without Beasley.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
I was on record last year saying K-State did the right thing hiring Martin. If they don’t hire him they lose Beasley, Walker, Pullen and probably every other freshman and sophomore on the roster this year. I thought it was worth the risk to see what these kids could do. And if it all blows up in K-State’s face they only lose two years rebuilding. And really what did K-State have to lose? They’re K-State, they haven’t been good forever. I think it’s paid off for them, and frankly Martin looks like a better coach than I thought he’d be. I’m not saying he’s a good coach yet, and K-State did under achieve given the talent that they have. But he isn’t a total stiff.

And even next year with Beasley and Walker gone, they still have some talent. I think Pullen is going to be a really good Big XII guard. If Martin and Hill can continue recruiting top 100 players, K-State will continue to be a mid pack Big XII team at worst, IMO. Of course it could go all Quin Snyder on them, too. He had a couple of pretty good years.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
K-State is an 11 seed with Final Four talent. That says it all.

I will say Martin coached a solid game last night, but more importantly his players played with passion. They haven't consistently done that through the year. If they keep up that level of intensity they could make some waves.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Uhh... he's won as many NCAA tourney games as Wayne Morgan who is the whipping boy of this board. Let's see how they do in the next game, which is still a defacto home game for them in Omaha. I don't know who Martin slept with to get the first two rounds in Omaha but he must be amazing.

Cyc1ones

Mar 9, 2008
Wait and see....wait and see....wait and see....what he does without Beasley and Walker next year....I hope that Kansas State realizes the implications of Martin as their coach before they are under NCAA investigation....if they aren't already.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron