Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Trying brisket for the first time this weekend. Got some butcher paper and pecan wood chips, following this recipe in the video. Wish me luck

12 pound brisket before trimming. Going to get it on the smoker by 6 AM; smoking at 250, should this hit 200 by 6 PM?

Yep, 10-12 hours should do the trick. Did you get the peach paper?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
We should setup another Lumberjack pellet group buy at some point. I think I remember seeing some posts on that previously.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Trying brisket for the first time this weekend. Got some butcher paper and pecan wood chips, following this recipe in the video. Wish me luck

12 pound brisket before trimming. Going to get it on the smoker by 6 AM; smoking at 250, should this hit 200 by 6 PM?

What timing. I’m also smoking a brisket for the first time tomorrow. Time frame is pretty spot on with me also. 6AM - 6PM. I put the rub on...which is a little more than just salt and pepper (didn’t watch the video, but Texas style calls for only S&P so I’m assuming)...about 4 hours ago.

I don’t think I have the right wood for a brisket, but **** it. We’ll give it a whirl anyway :D.

We should live post this.

Reactions: CarlHungus

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We should setup another Lumberjack pellet group buy at some point. I think I remember seeing some posts on that previously.

Fareway just had a special buy three 20 lb bags get the fourth free.

I had a friend reach out asking how many bags I was looking for. He told me they had to start ordering 3 pallets at a time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

I had a friend reach out asking how many bags I was looking for. He told me they had to start ordering 3 pallets at a time.

I got two Traeger pellet bags for $6 off total.

Starting a brisket now for dinner later.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I got an 800 sq” Pit Boss pellet grill this spring and love it. The idea of baby sitting a smoker is romantic as hell, but not realistic for me. And frankly, the quality of product we’re getting off of this thing matches a smoker. The ability to smoke and sear on the same unit is something I can’t see giving up. Maybe when I’m retired or something. My wife has the thing mastered too, so when I’m in the field this fall I’ll be packing brisket sandwiches for lunch.

The thing that was a game changer for me was smoking brats. I’ve always been a beer boil + sear guy, but we’ve started straight up smoking them and love it. Going to put a tin full of beer on the bottom rack while smoking them later today.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I think my next purchase is going to be a Pit Boss Austin XL. 930 sq. in. of cooking space (some is top rack, but whatever) and the searing ability is a gamechanger. Regular price is $500, which isn't awful but I've seen them on sale last fall so I'll wait to see if that happens again. I'll still keep my little Traeger Jr because it's so portable.

Also - still love using the Pit Boss competition blend pellets I get at Lowe's for about $15/40 lb bag.

I'm going to do some baby back or St. Louis style ribs tomorrow. Will probably do something else on Sunday too.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wife was going to make French Dip with a couple chuck roasts in the fridge in a crock pot. I upped the ante and told I would smoke them. Never done chucks before. Looking at around 8 hours for it. Just put them on at 10 am. Salt, pepper, along with onion and garlic powder as seasoning. Set my DB at 225. Will wrap with foil and add some beef broth when they hit 160. Goal is to get them to 200 and hold For 90 minutes to allow the connective tissue to break down further so it is easier to pull apart.

Going to throw some brat patties on now for lunch on the bottom shelf.

Two racks of St.Louis ribs for Sunday in the fridge.

Reactions: cstrunk

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Fleet farm has the bear creek bags on sale right now. 2 20lb bags for $14 I think.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Wife was going to make French Dip with a couple chuck roasts in the fridge in a crock pot. I upped the ante and told I would smoke them. Never done chucks before. Looking at around 8 hours for it. Just put them on at 10 am. Salt, pepper, along with onion and garlic powder as seasoning. Set my DB at 225. Will wrap with foil and add some beef broth when they hit 160. Goal is to get them to 200 and hold For 90 minutes to allow the connective tissue to break down further so it is easier to pull apart.

Going to throw some brat patties on now for lunch on the bottom shelf.

Two racks of St.Louis ribs for Sunday in the fridge.

Report back how this turns out. I would be interested in trying this out sometime.

Like many others I'm putting on 2 full packers tonight at probably around midnight for tomorrow.

Reactions: JP4CY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

You have to order 3 pallets of Lumberjack for the deal? I'd be game for doing a group order as others have mentioned.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I got an 800 sq” Pit Boss pellet grill this spring and love it. The idea of baby sitting a smoker is romantic as hell, but not realistic for me. And frankly, the quality of product we’re getting off of this thing matches a smoker. The ability to smoke and sear on the same unit is something I can’t see giving up. Maybe when I’m retired or something. My wife has the thing mastered too, so when I’m in the field this fall I’ll be packing brisket sandwiches for lunch.

The thing that was a game changer for me was smoking brats. I’ve always been a beer boil + sear guy, but we’ve started straight up smoking them and love it. Going to put a tin full of beer on the bottom rack while smoking them later today.

can you link the model? I’ve been looking for something a little more time economical since my master built took a crap on me and I don’t have all day with three kids and activities almost every weekend.

Last edited:

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
For what it's worth to all you people doing brisket for the first time. While temp is a good indicator, with brisket texture is a better tell for when a brisket is done. Usually happens in the 200-205 range put when you probe the brisket the probe should slide in with the resistance of butter once you get through the bark.

Reactions: JP4CY

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I got a bit of a late start today at around 8. I’ve got my temp set to 225. Going to wrap at 160 and pull it off at around 200. I’m just following the recipe in my Traeger app.

I dropped mine on around 6:00, and my temp is holding steady in the 230 degree range. I don’t have window or a meat thermometer that shows the temp externally, and I don’t want to open the damn thing until I have to. Fingers crossed that it will be around 160-165 degrees around 12:30 or so.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron