Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I've never heard that. The Pelletheads out there try to claim it will taste almost as good, but I've never heard it's supposed to be better.

Easier, for sure. I don't have a pellet pooper, but I would like one eventually.

I've had pulled pork off of neighbors' pellet smokers, it's definitely good. No way I'd say it's any better than what I get off my old school smoker. I actually think mine is better, but that's likely ego driven. The difference is pretty negligible.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
So I anticipate having quite a bit of leftover smoked pork shoulder over the next couple of months, what are your favorite pork shoulder recipes beyond serving it with BBQ sauce?
I did Cuban wraps that turned out pretty good, what do y'all got?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So I anticipate having quite a bit of leftover smoked pork shoulder over the next couple of months, what are your favorite pork shoulder recipes beyond serving it with BBQ sauce?
I did Cuban wraps that turned out pretty good, what do y'all got?

I'll bet you could make a pretty good batch of white bean chili with smoked pork.

Reactions: Acylum

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Someone already said nachos and I second that. My wife makes a pulled pork enchilada that is muy bien! When we do butts, I will fill the smoker up ~6 butts, finish them in the oven overnight, pull them the next morning (while putting the liquid in the fridge to congeal, then skim the fat.....literally liquid smoked pork in a jelly form) and put them in freezer bags to freeze along with the gelatinous juices. That way we can have pulled pork anytime we want and it heats up very easily.

I also from time to time take the leftover pork and put it in my beans as well.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Someone already said nachos and I second that. My wife makes a pulled pork enchilada that is muy bien! When we do butts, I will fill the smoker up ~6 butts, finish them in the oven overnight, pull them the next morning (while putting the liquid in the fridge to congeal, then skim the fat.....literally liquid smoked port in a jelly form) and put them in freezer bags to freeze along with the gelatinous juices. That way we can have pulled pork anytime we want and it heats up very easily.

I feel like smoked pork fat and smoked brisket fat is what meals in heaven are made from

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Someone already said nachos and I second that. My wife makes a pulled pork enchilada that is muy bien! When we do butts, I will fill the smoker up ~6 butts, finish them in the oven overnight, pull them the next morning (while putting the liquid in the fridge to congeal, then skim the fat.....literally liquid smoked port in a jelly form) and put them in freezer bags to freeze along with the gelatinous juices. That way we can have pulled pork anytime we want and it heats up very easily.

index.php

For some reason I thought it was 4-14-20. Turned out excellent will add some apple juice and some BBQ rub when it goes into the crock pot.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pulled Pork Nachos!! Warm up pulled pork, layer plate with tortilla chips, spread pork over chips, add shredded cheese, Put in oven (broiler) until cheese melts, spread BBQ sauce over too, and enjoy!!

I love pulled pork and nachos but pulled pork nachos does nothing for me.

• Dislike
Reactions: cycloner29

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I’m a huge fan of Smokey d’s pulled pork nachos. Never done it myself. Is there anything specific you do? Recipe? I’ve also been wondering if there is a good smoked pork carnitas recipe out there lately.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I’m a huge fan of Smokey d’s pulled pork nachos. Never done it myself. Is there anything specific you do? Recipe? I’ve also been wondering if there is a good smoked pork carnitas recipe out there lately.

The work is in the pulled pork (like 98% of the dish). Get the pork right and the rest is easy (put it on chips, add the cheese, and whatever toppings you want and you’re set).

Lots of pulled pork recipes out there (not all require a smoker). Find a seasoning / flavor profile you like and go from there. Pulled pork is pretty hard to mess up (you have to over cook it to get it to fall apart).

Your end result is directly proportional to the effort you put in to making the meat.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Pulled pork breakfast tacos have been happening at my house recently. Eggs scrambled in with some pulled pork, then placed on a toasted corn tortilla and topped with chives, cilantro, shredded cheese, and hot sauce.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The work is in the pulled pork (like 98% of the dish). Get the pork right and the rest is easy (put it on chips, add the cheese, and whatever toppings you want and you’re set).

Lots of pulled pork recipes out there (not all require a smoker). Find a seasoning / flavor profile you like and go from there. Pulled pork is pretty hard to mess up (you have to over cook it to get it to fall apart).

Your end result is directly proportional to the effort you put in to making the meat.

This so true! You want pulled pork, not ripped apart pulled pork. 200 degrees is a must and let it rest for a 30-60 minutes. I can usually use a fork to pull it and all the fat has rendered down on the inside.

I know some people like the bark and some don't. I will usually put a water bath in when smoking.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Pulled pork breakfast tacos have been happening at my house recently. Eggs scrambled in with some pulled pork, then placed on a toasted corn tortilla and topped with chives, cilantro, shredded cheese, and hot sauce.
giphy.gif

• Winner
Reactions: cstrunk

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Doing my first smoking of the year this weekend since its supposed to be gorgeous out. Probably just doing a Pork Shoulder; nothing too fancy. Cant wait
200.gif

Reactions: CloneKing

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Trying brisket for the first time this weekend. Got some butcher paper and pecan wood chips, following this recipe in the video. Wish me luck

12 pound brisket before trimming. Going to get it on the smoker by 6 AM; smoking at 250, should this hit 200 by 6 PM?

Last edited:
Reactions: dmclone and Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Trying brisket for the first time this weekend. Got some butcher paper and pecan wood chips, following this recipe in the video. Wish me luck

12 pound brisket before trimming. Going to get it on the smoker by 6 AM; smoking at 250, should this hit 200 by 6 PM?

I love Malcom’s YT channel but I’m afraid he’s just gonna keel over some day.