Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Smoke rings look nice, but they are over rated. If you put tender quick or MSG on the brisket you can get a smoke ring in the oven. Here's a 4 hour brisket, still a good smoke ring and just as tender and juicy as a 16 hour one.

I stand by my earlier post about subjectivity in smoking meat...and I don't use anything but natural spices on my food.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I stand by my earlier post about subjectivity in smoking meat...and I don't use anything but natural spices on my food.

I will dry brine ribs, pork loin, and pork shoulder with kosher salt. Let is brine for 12-24 hours, wash it off when I'm ready to cook and just add pepper and a touch of salt. I've stopped with the spices. With ribs, I will just add a BBQ rub and sauce on ribs about 30 minutes before I pull them off.

Brisket is the Aaron Frankin method. Just a salt and pepper rub. I've done over 100 briskets in the last 6 years and that method has been money!!

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Can't help you with your nuts.................................. I've never tried it. But now that it's cooler weather, if you like to experiment, try smoking some cheese.

I plan to do just that and give some away for the Holidays.

Reactions: Acylum

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
If there is one thing I have learned when it comes to smoking meats, there is more than one way to do it.

Couldn't agree more. I used to do low and slow on everything. Switched to hot and fast when I decided that getting sleep during a bbq competition was beneficial. It's bled into my personal cooks because I consider them practice. Either way turns out great food if cooked to the proper tenderness.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
GMG Daniel Boone with Wifi. Brisket, cure pork loin (Canadian Bacon) and pulled pork. Just did two briskets for the ULM a couple of weeks ago. Started at 2 pm on Friday, pulled off at 4:45 am. Server mode lets you keep track of temps even when you are gone. Love that option.

View attachment 67237 View attachment 67238 View attachment 67239
Are you happy with the smoke flavor? I have a GMG DB and love it as a grill but have been a little less impressed with it as a smoker. The smoke flavor doesn't seem to get near as intense as using a traditional method for me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Are you happy with the smoke flavor? I have a GMG DB and love it as a grill but have been a little less impressed with it as a smoker. The smoke flavor doesn't seem to get near as intense as using a traditional method for me.

Since I still have a gasser, I use that for the majority of of grilling. I have been very pleased with the smoke flavor though. The one thing I added as was this:

upload_2019-11-5_12-24-58.png

3" stove pipe elbow. I cut four 1/4" slots on the top section so it would fit into the chimney opening. This was a $4 cost compared to a $60 downdraft version. This keeps the smoke in the smoker longer instead of going up and out. I've also had very steady side to side temps.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Since I still have a gasser, I use that for the majority of of grilling. I have been very pleased with the smoke flavor though. The one thing I added as was this:

View attachment 68255

3" stove pipe elbow. I cut four 1/4" slots on the top section so it would fit into the chimney opening. This was a $4 cost compared to a $60 downdraft version. This keeps the smoke in the smoker longer instead of going up and out. I've also had very steady side to side temps.

Interesting. May have to try that.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hey novice smoker here. I have mastercraft minifridge style smoker. Usually do chicken drumsticks, brisket and ribs. Trying a 6lb bone in turkey breast for tomorrow in addition what the wife is cooking for our group.

1. what temp and how long?
2. What do you recommend injecting it with?
3. What kind of dry rub? I have a homemade concoction I make myself for brisket or drumsticks but thinking I might need to go in a slightly different direction for turkey.
4. Cover it after 3 hours of smoke like brisket/ribs?

Thanks!

Also: brine? I haven’t been a big brine guy but would if I was pointed in the right direction

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Hey novice smoker here. I have mastercraft minifridge style smoker. Usually do chicken drumsticks, brisket and ribs. Trying a 6lb bone in turkey breast for tomorrow in addition what the wife is cooking for our group.

3. What kind of dry rub? I have a homemade concoction I make myself for brisket or drumsticks but thinking I might need to go in a slightly different direction for turkey.

Thanks!

Also: brine? I haven’t been a big brine guy but would if I was pointed in the right direction
1-depends on the time you have...235-275 will get you ~35-~25 min. per pound, respectively
2-off the shelf injections are ok...my aunt used to inject with a 7up recipe she had that I think you can find with a google search
3-Turkey is different and I'd recommend one for it...purchased...just make sure it's UNDER the skin. use a wooden spoon to make space under all of the skin and then do the rub under it on the meat.
4-i don't cover my turkey until I pull it off...then I rest it for 30 minutes covered.

If you're near Ankeny, TNT Landscaping has everything mentioned in stock. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Reactions: JM4CY

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

Thanks!
I've never smoked a turkey. But my dad has and there is a lot of talk on what do do to a turkey on the green egg (smoker) Facebook group I am in.

225 degrees 30-40 minutes per pound.
I wouldnt inject it. I would do a dry brine asap and get it in the fridge to work its dry brining magic. For a rub/dry brine salt and pepper would probably be enough can add some herbs if you want. This all of course assumes the turkey you have is not a prebrined turkey, most you can get in the store are as it extends the shelf life. I would not cover it as that can easily result in a rubbery skin. If you want to help get crispy skin rub some butter (not margerine) under the skin.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I would brine it. Plenty of different brines. I have used the brown sugar kosher salt one as my go to. I done one with orange slices and cloves before, but it just wasn't for for me.

If you do a brine. All you need is a 50/50 salt and pepper on it. I usually go 150 for an hour on anything I smoke. After that I would go to around 250-275 range for a couple of hours. I always use a therm on chicken and turkey to ensure they are at the 165 range.

All you really need is to let it rest for 30 minutes. I have also put it in a roasting pan the last 30 minutes and add a stick or two of butter sliced up on top of it, cover it up and put it back on the smoker.

• Agree
Reactions: Gossamer and JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
1-depends on the time you have...235-275 will get you ~35-~25 min. per pound, respectively
2-off the shelf injections are ok...my aunt used to inject with a 7up recipe she had that I think you can find with a google search
3-Turkey is different and I'd recommend one for it...purchased...just make sure it's UNDER the skin. use a wooden spoon to make space under all of the skin and then do the rub under it on the meat.
4-i don't cover my turkey until I pull it off...then I rest it for 30 minutes covered.

If you're near Ankeny, TNT Landscaping has everything mentioned in stock. Have a great Thanksgiving!
What’s the scoop with a 7up injection? Seems a little exotic and unusual but has perked my ears

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
What’s the scoop with a 7up injection? Seems a little exotic and unusual but has perked my ears

honestly, I don't know...my aunt did it for years. Her birds were always the best. I think it's a good base to add other things to. she might have added liquid smoke or garlic powder...wish I could remember. If i find it I"ll post it.

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Just bought a GMG Daniel Boone WiFi during the black friday sale ($399!).

Question for the other DB owners... what is the best grill cover? Doesn't look like the GMG brand cover fits very well, and is very short...?

What accessories are a must have?

sfisher

Nov 11, 2009
Ankeny
Just bought a GMG Daniel Boone WiFi during the black friday sale ($399!).

Question for the other DB owners... what is the best grill cover? Doesn't look like the GMG brand cover fits very well, and is very short...?

What accessories are a must have?
I had to talk my wife into that last week! I bought at Sportsman's for $450 (worth extra $50 to eliminate shipping). I attempted to get Wifi hooked up last night and I was having all kinds of connection issues. I may need to call GMG for help, cant update connect without updating software, which needs to be done in order to connect.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm tempted to start a thread on this but I'll start here. I just bought a GM Daniel Boone smoker. The dealer gave me a big speech about only using Lumber Jack brand pellets. Really trashed Pit Boss for uneven burn and less flavor.

Anyone notice any difference between pellet brands? Previously to this I had a small electric smoker and never noticed any difference in brands.

I typically been buying Pit Boss, Lumber Jack, or Traeger pellets.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I finally got in on the pellet smoker game. Bought a Camp Chef DLX a couple weeks ago when Amazon dropped the price under $320. My first two smokes were no flip burgers and spare ribs.

From what I've read, Lumber Jack are some of the most well regarded pellets. I bought four bags of the Competition Blend through Dicks when they were $9.99 w/ free shipping.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
I'm with the Iowa BBQ Society and that was one of our events years ago. We are actually looking at bringing the ISU meat lab class back in 2020. Keep and eye out at iabbq.org and we'll have updated information there. Probably after first of year, we're in the middle of a website revamp so new info will start slowly rolling out on the site.
@fatkid1974
Hey Fatkid, do we know each other? I bet we do. I was pretty heavy into comp bbq and was also IA bbq society member. I am the Iowa part of Boondoggle BBQ.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm tempted to start a thread on this but I'll start here. I just bought a GM Daniel Boone smoker. The dealer gave me a big speech about only using Lumber Jack brand pellets. Really trashed Pit Boss for uneven burn and less flavor.

Anyone notice any difference between pellet brands? Previously to this I had a small electric smoker and never noticed any difference in brands.

I typically been buying Pit Boss, Lumber Jack, or Traeger pellets.

I have used Smoke Ring Pellets a couple of times, but 99.5% of the time it's been LumberJack. Their Competition Blend is the only one I use now. Just a nice blend of cherry, hickory, and apple. I get them for $15 per 40 lb bag from a dealer.

Help Support Us

Become a patron