Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
Where in Des Moines do you all buy brisket? Fareway? Sam's? Does HyVee even stock it?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Great, now I want 9am brisket.

I did! I told keep telling my it was bacon. When I sliced all three of them, I took all the small bits and pieces and put them in container. Plan to use vac seal and use in chili.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I did! I told keep telling my it was bacon. When I sliced all three of them, I took all the small bits and pieces and put them in container. Plan to use vac seal and use in chili.
Shredded brisket in chili is the bees knees.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
17 lb Prime at Sam's Club for $3.02/lb it was a "reduced for quick sale" one. Originally at $3.58/lb. I usually get mine at Sam's or Walmart. Walmart price is $2.98/lb. Hy-Vee and Fareway are higher priced. Fareway I think has it on sale for $3.99 lb.

Reactions: ILikeTurtles

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
No good pics just some of what I had that was left which wasn't much. A good 1/4" smoke ring!! I also use a water bath in my smoker. But yes, 150 really works. That is why they always say, "Low and Slow". Grease bucket was to the rim!! Left it outside overnight. A little hot water around the outside of the bucket and a big clump of grease later in a plastic back and that was an easy cleanup!

View attachment 67853

Looks awesome. I've heard about "low and slow" many times but never at 150 degrees. The range I always heard was between 200-225.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I'm sure many people will say this is heresy and I thought the same when I first saw it. So I'll include a link to the Amazing Ribs site and his comments to help add validity.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...cipes/smoked-sous-vide-que-bbq-brisket-recipe

I saw the method last fall and then a really good black Friday sale on a sous vide cooker (one of those scary amazon moments where they suggested a product right after reading about it). Now that I've tried it I don't see anyway I'd go back. Way more convenient, easier and the best smoked meat I've had. The sous vide does all the major work and I finish it on the smoker/grill.

It's even better on steaks since you can precisely control the meat to medium rare (or whatever your preference is) so they are that doneness all the way through and then just sear on the grill.

Chicken is also amazing. Medium rare chicken isn't safe on a grill but it is on a sous vide since you can hold it at that temp for as long as you want.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Anyone have a good recipe for smoked nuts? I finally got my hands on raw blanched peanuts. My plan was to brine them and then throw them on the smoker dusted with Lowrey's Season Salt. Should I do something different (trying to avoid adding sugar).

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Where in Des Moines do you all buy brisket? Fareway? Sam's? Does HyVee even stock it?

I get mine at Sams. I've had better luck at Windsor Heights than Ankeny, but Ankeny usually has a decent selection.

This is for the full 'packer' briskets. I don't like smoking the smaller 'flats' only.

Reactions: ILikeTurtles

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I just got an electric smoker from a buddy who didnt want it anymore, only been used a couple times. Smoke Hollow brand.

Going to try some spare ribs this weekend for my first attempt, any suggestions?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Looking to upgrade and get a pellet smoker (Traeger or Green Mountain). Hoping for a good Black Friday deal... Any idea if these go on sale ever?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Looking to upgrade and get a pellet smoker (Traeger or Green Mountain). Hoping for a good Black Friday deal... Any idea if these go on sale ever?

A couple years ago I found a traeger tailgater from an internet site calomart.com. it was under $300 new. I had my reservations but rolled the dice. Received it after about a week. No complaints.

I was curious as to how they can sell these so cheap, so I did some research, and I only found one forum site on the internet with people that claimed that they were using stolen credit cards to buy the grills with the shipping info that you put on the site and the money the buyer paid they pocketed.

The traegers disappeared from their site for awhile but I just checked and they have some for sale again. Again not sure if it is a scam site or how they conduct business, the shipment said it came straightvfrom the manufacturer as was matched by the return address on the shipping label. I received mine and had no fraudulent charges to my card. I suppose they could be fake traegers too, but certainly do t look that way.

I cant imagine they would still be around years later if they were scamming people.

I guess a person could call traeger customer service to ask them if the website is legit.

https://calomart.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Traeger

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
GM usually has Black Friday deals.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
there used to be a class each year that the local BBQ guys would put on. I took a class at ISU and Big Moe Cason and Darren, the owner of Smokey D's put it on...might give them a call and ask. We got a tour of the meat lab at ISU and everything.

I'm with the Iowa BBQ Society and that was one of our events years ago. We are actually looking at bringing the ISU meat lab class back in 2020. Keep and eye out at iabbq.org and we'll have updated information there. Probably after first of year, we're in the middle of a website revamp so new info will start slowly rolling out on the site.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
here's why you do the 150 for a few hours...;)

View attachment 67851

Smoke rings look nice, but they are over rated. If you put tender quick or MSG on the brisket you can get a smoke ring in the oven. Here's a 4 hour brisket, still a good smoke ring and just as tender and juicy as a 16 hour one.

Attachments

• ottumwaBrisket.jpg
    ottumwaBrisket.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 41

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Believe it or not, but a lot of competition teams are going "hot and fast" when it comes to brisket with cook temps like an oven (~300-350).

Franklin from Franklin BBQ says to make good BBQ you have to first make a lot of bad BBQ, and this is very true. The key is to find something that you like, that works for you, and then fine tune it.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Anyone have a good recipe for smoked nuts? I finally got my hands on raw blanched peanuts. My plan was to brine them and then throw them on the smoker dusted with Lowrey's Season Salt. Should I do something different (trying to avoid adding sugar).
Can't help you with your nuts.................................. I've never tried it. But now that it's cooler weather, if you like to experiment, try smoking some cheese.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I have a masterbuilt electric smoker, not disappointed at all.

I use an a-maze-n smoker inside for pork. Soft or fruit wood. BUT for brisket, mesquite or hickoy chips as directed Smoke for 3-4 hours. then finish. Pics of my smokehouse so I can leave it outside.

Attachments

• 20191104_174349.jpg
    20191104_174349.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191104_174405.jpg
    20191104_174405.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191104_174423.jpg
    20191104_174423.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: JP4CY