Sledge playing time ?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's played in 7 games. Isn't that the max he can play in and be eligible for a medical red-shirt?

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
You fools are going on tangents about OP not being at practice, then start saying Sledge isnt good enough? Have any of you been to practice or talked to Fred about this recently?

he may not be good enough, but if guys pick up minutes in games here or there, maybe the surprise us and start playing more... Jeremy Lin ring a bell?

Just because I don't want this to get out of control, Let's not make a comparison between every guard who hasn't had a lot of minutes to Jeremy Lin.

As Charles Barkley often says, every NBA player is good. Some just get different opportunities.

It is way too early to tell if Sledge is good, bad, injured, or whatever. Let's just leave it at that. Please, no Linsanity.

randogger22

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
It looks like not only is he not ready/hurt, but doesn't have a great attitude. After SC hit the winning shot against OSU, the whole team came out to congratulate him and Sledge just stood up by the bench and didn't participate. If he has a bad attitude than he probably isn't trying to improve his game by staying in the gym late etc. My best guess is he transfers and I am completely content with that.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I either read or heard CFH say that he had injured a knee in practice and had a big bruise. They wanted to keep him out for that reason.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Even if he wasn't injured, can you explain why he should see more playing time? Are you invited to practices and have seen him tearing it up? I mean, we have been in close game after close game, and you want to see the FRESHMAN point guard in the lineup taking minutes away from WHO?????????

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?

Someone forgot to take their pills this mornig. I think he has the potenital to be a nice PG for ISU in the future and a great on the ball defender. You can't teach quicks like that. He will be a solid asset in the transition game.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I certainly hope that none of the players read this site.

Here are a bunch of posters, who, to be honest, really know nothing about what is going on with Tavon and the coaches, or what his attitude might be, yet they think they are qualified to comment on it. The comment about he did not come out and congratulate SC on his shot is just nonsense. That same claim was first made about CA on the same shot......then the poster realized that in actuality, CA was the first to congratulate SC. Seriously.......you are going to judge a player's attitude based on his reaction in one situation?

Everyone was pretty positive about Tavon's recruitment. He was recruited by other schools, and offered (according to Scout) by West Virginia. At the time of his recruitment, he was a PG. His last season in high school, for whatever reason, his coach switched him to SG and put another player at the point.

Now, ISU's coaches had to know that. They knew when Tavon arrived he had not played PG in the previous year. I doubt they were counting on him to give them many minutes in that position.

No doubt, as with probably most freshmen, Tavon would like to get more playing time, and perhaps even expected it. I'm sure there is some disappointment there. I have not seen anything, read anything, or heard anything that would tell me there is anything more than that going on.......or honestly that even that is going on with him. Players coming into college are coming out of high school where they were the top dog....then they suddenly realize that now they are on a team of high school top dogs. That would be an adjustment for anyone. Not that long ago, freshmen athletes were not eligible to play varsity......there was a reason for that.

All I'm saying is......for God's sake......give the kid a chance! We have seen him play a total of 17 minutes in 7 games......and some of you are ready to throw him under the bus. Really? Using your guidelines, I wonder how many ISU stars of the past would not have made it because they did not shine or tear up the court their freshman year? From what I saw of Tavon, he is extremely quick, was decent defensively, and had great leaping ability. It was obvious he needed to adjust to the college game.

As far as the redshirt goes......he may be able to get a medical redshirt, and he may not. He cannot participate in more than 20 per cent of the games......and it is too early to tell if that has happened. Also, the injury is supposed to be serious. Not sure a groin pull would qualify in the eyes of the NCAA. Finally, the injury has to occur in the first half of the season. I think the initial groin pull was in the first half. So we shall see.

My point is.......these players are ISU Cyclones right now. They deserve our complete support. Some of you are posting on here and basically just posting speculation, not any facts. Then to top it off, some of you say you will be fine if certain players are not here next year. Such great fans. Knock it off.

Personally, I hope Tavon is just taking a year to develop into a better player, that his injury has sidelined him, and that next year he can compete with Korie, Bubu, Naz and any others for PG playing time, or for a SG position.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Here are a bunch of posters, who, to be honest, really know nothing about what is going on with Tavon and the coaches, or what his attitude might be, yet they think they are qualified to comment on it. The comment about he did not come out and congratulate SC on his shot is just nonsense. That same claim was first made about CA on the same shot......then the poster realized that in actuality, CA was the first to congratulate SC. Seriously.......you are going to judge a player's attitude based on his reaction in one situation?

Everyone was pretty positive about Tavon's recruitment. He was recruited by other schools, and offered (according to Scout) by West Virginia. At the time of his recruitment, he was a PG. His last season in high school, for whatever reason, his coach switched him to SG and put another player at the point.

Now, ISU's coaches had to know that. They knew when Tavon arrived he had not played PG in the previous year. I doubt they were counting on him to give them many minutes in that position.

No doubt, as with probably most freshmen, Tavon would like to get more playing time, and perhaps even expected it. I'm sure there is some disappointment there. I have not seen anything, read anything, or heard anything that would tell me there is anything more than that going on.......or honestly that even that is going on with him. Players coming into college are coming out of high school where they were the top dog....then they suddenly realize that now they are on a team of high school top dogs. That would be an adjustment for anyone. Not that long ago, freshmen athletes were not eligible to play varsity......there was a reason for that.

All I'm saying is......for God's sake......give the kid a chance! We have seen him play a total of 17 minutes in 7 games......and some of you are ready to throw him under the bus. Really? Using your guidelines, I wonder how many ISU stars of the past would not have made it because they did not shine or tear up the court their freshman year? From what I saw of Tavon, he is extremely quick, was decent defensively, and had great leaping ability. It was obvious he needed to adjust to the college game.

As far as the redshirt goes......he may be able to get a medical redshirt, and he may not. He cannot participate in more than 20 per cent of the games......and it is too early to tell if that has happened. Also, the injury is supposed to be serious. Not sure a groin pull would qualify in the eyes of the NCAA. Finally, the injury has to occur in the first half of the season. I think the initial groin pull was in the first half. So we shall see.

My point is.......these players are ISU Cyclones right now. They deserve our complete support. Some of you are posting on here and basically just posting speculation, not any facts. Then to top it off, some of you say you will be fine if certain players are not here next year. Such great fans. Knock it off.

Personally, I hope Tavon is just taking a year to develop into a better player, that his injury has sidelined him, and that next year he can compete with Korie, Bubu, Naz and any others for PG playing time, or for a SG position.

TL;DR

Cliff notes are your friend.

randogger22

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa

I can appreciate many points in your "argument", but I have a hard time believing that Tavon will see more than 17 minutes next year. Maybe I am wrong about that and I hope he proves me wrong. Saying that I would be fine seeing him go, was a little harsh, what I really meant was that if this is all he is going to play, than he should transfer for a better fit. I wish nothing bad on him.

As far as his attitude, I do think it is poor. I have only been to one practice this year and his attitude was not great then either. I believe it is do to frustration and maybe it was just that practice. And his reaction after Scotty's shot is true, maybe he was in shock, but it looked like he didn't care as much, thats all. I wish him well as he matures.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I can appreciate many points in your "argument", but I have a hard time believing that Tavon will see more than 17 minutes next year. Maybe I am wrong about that and I hope he proves me wrong. Saying that I would be fine seeing him go, was a little harsh, what I really meant was that if this is all he is going to play, than he should transfer for a better fit. I wish nothing bad on him.

As far as his attitude, I do think it is poor. I have only been to one practice this year and his attitude was not great then either. I believe it is do to frustration and maybe it was just that practice. And his reaction after Scotty's shot is true, maybe he was in shock, but it looked like he didn't care as much, thats all. I wish him well as he matures.

My point is, posts like yours serve no good purpose whatsoever. He was recruited by ISU, chose ISU, and he should get our support up to the point that he does something negative towards ISU, which to my knowledge he has not done.

His attitude may not be that of a 3rd year starter, but honestly, none of us know the truth about that......so what good purpose does it serve to even bring it up? You are basing what you think of his attitude from one practice, one reaction to a shot and 17 minutes of clean-up play? Seriously? You think that qualifies you to make a judgement about his attitude?

He is an ISU athlete that deserves nothing but our support until he has done something to no longer deserve it, which I do not believe he has at all.

randogger22

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
My point is, posts like yours serve no good purpose whatsoever. He was recruited by ISU, chose ISU, and he should get our support up to the point that he does something negative towards ISU, which to my knowledge he has not done.

His attitude may not be that of a 3rd year starter, but honestly, none of us know the truth about that......so what good purpose does it serve to even bring it up? You are basing what you think of his attitude from one practice, one reaction to a shot and 17 minutes of clean-up play? Seriously? You think that qualifies you to make a judgement about his attitude?

He is an ISU athlete that deserves nothing but our support until he has done something to no longer deserve it, which I do not believe he has at all.

How much of what is said on this website is speculation? A lot, and what I said is speculation. But having seen the same attitude out of Dendy in practice as I saw out of Tavon leads me to my conclusions. As I said, and you may have missed, I hope he proves me wrong and I do wish him the best. My support of ISU is unquestionable, I bleed cardinal and gold. The title of this thread was a question as to why Tavon isn't seeing playing time. Whether he is hurt so badly he can't play, he isn't ready for B12 play, or has a bad attitude, are all possible explanations. I support Tavon, ISU, and the coaching staff. They are the only ones that really know the reason. If you have the answer then please tell us, if not, let the speculation continue.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
How much of what is said on this website is speculation? A lot, and what I said is speculation. But having seen the same attitude out of Dendy in practice as I saw out of Tavon leads me to my conclusions. As I said, and you may have missed, I hope he proves me wrong and I do wish him the best. My support of ISU is unquestionable, I bleed cardinal and gold. The title of this thread was a question as to why Tavon isn't seeing playing time. Whether he is hurt so badly he can't play, he isn't ready for B12 play, or has a bad attitude, are all possible explanations. I support Tavon, ISU, and the coaching staff. They are the only ones that really know the reason. If you have the answer then please tell us, if not, let the speculation continue.

No, I don't have the answer....but neither do you. I did not try to answer why he is not playing more.

I just don't think it is right to comment about an athlete's attitude as though it is negative or something when truthfully, you don't have a clue. Now you are comparing the one practice to what you saw out of Dendy? It's just ridiculous.

If you KNOW the answer and can back it up, then tell us. If it is only speculation.....then I do not think it has any place on here, especially while the season is still in progress. It is counter-productive and serves no good purpose whatsoever.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If it is only speculation.....then I do not think it has any place on here, especially while the season is still in progress. It is counter-productive and serves no good purpose whatsoever.

Message boards are speculative "societies" no need to get your shorts in a bunch about it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

He has my support, but all from what I've heard from people in the know, my opinion is I doubt he will contribute more then a practice body and junk minutes for his first two years here, maybe even into year 3.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
In the current Big 12 college basketball environment, CFH is being forced to recruit over players every year. Hoiberg is going to try and bring ina better PG than Sledge in the next few years and hopefully one that can contribute in his first year. Sledge might end up being a good player, but we have no clue at this point, since he is not redshirting and still not playing.
Lucious will get a majority of the PG minutes next year and I think Bubu has the experience card over Sledge. If Sledge sticks it out until next year he will have to step up big time and take the backup role from Bubu. Otherwise, he will be replaced soon.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I really dont understand the premise behind the comments he's a freshman in the big 12 hes not ready....

So let me ask - there were times last year that Ejim looked vastly out of place.
There have been times when Gibson has not looked as he did in his past 2-3 games...

Railey's a game tested sophomore and at times appears completely lost on the court....its not physically, its mentally.

You have several freshman at KU at Texas playing significant minutes...and although i'm not comparing the talent, there is a methodology to that madness...you take your lumps....you coach off those mistakes and the player improves...

This is not being critical of our coaches decisions, its purely related to people saying hes not ready to play in the big 12....imho, thats pure bs copout....i agree with previous poster, if McBeth is getting minutes, there's no reason why a player such as Sledge is not playing....i mean seriously, have none of you been watching LinSanity?

Providing minutes to a player not yet ready for that level is good thing - it humbles the big headed players and allows the coaching staff the ability to say "hey you got a ways to go on your game"....Unless of course he gets in and provides success, then the coach looks really smart.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I really dont understand the premise behind the comments he's a freshman in the big 12 hes not ready....

So let me ask - there were times last year that Ejim looked vastly out of place.
There have been times when Gibson has not looked as he did in his past 2-3 games...

Railey's a game tested sophomore and at times appears completely lost on the court....its not physically, its mentally.

You have several freshman at KU at Texas playing significant minutes...and although i'm not comparing the talent, there is a methodology to that madness...you take your lumps....you coach off those mistakes and the player improves...

This is not being critical of our coaches decisions, its purely related to people saying hes not ready to play in the big 12....imho, thats pure bs copout....i agree with previous poster, if McBeth is getting minutes, there's no reason why a player such as Sledge is not playing....i mean seriously, have none of you been watching LinSanity?

And Sledge would have been in at the end of the A&M game had he not been injure... I swear common sense is a reach on this board at times.

Sledge has been in when we've been up big in games. But for anyone that thinks he's going to contribute anything more then garbage minutes and a practice body in his first two years are going to be disappointed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron