***Severe Weather on Wed 12/15***Damn its windy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sounds like a competitive opportunity.
We keep seeing that places offering higher pay are getting the applications. It's probably not any deeper than that.

Jobs at places with good cultures and competitive pay are seeing plenty of applicants. One I applied for had over 200 because they also provided on the job programming bootcamp to get the coding skills they wanted in their team.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Jobs at places with good cultures and competitive pay are seeing plenty of applicants. One I applied for had over 200 because they also provided on the job programming bootcamp to get the coding skills they wanted in their team.
You change jobs?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

And really, how many places can have a good culture without competitive pay? Compensation is an awfully big part of creating a good culture.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
These businesses are just as much to blame as anyone else. I was looking for a new job over the summer, applied for at least 20-30 jobs that I was over qualified for and weren't related to my professional field and maybe got 1 or 2 call backs.

Sometimes people are burnt out on the daily corporate grind and want a simpler job that's stress free.

Edit....got laid off during the pandemic and didn't really want to go back into IT again.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Another reminder that we're not very good at looking past our own experience.

I'm sure the people in Jefferson thought it was overhyped too :rolleyes:

If it’s not a long track, backlit, at least stove pipe tornado did it even really happen?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And really, how many places can have a good culture without competitive pay? Compensation is an awfully big part of creating a good culture.

Yep. Increase responsibilities at a rate 10X more than pay and guess what kind of culture a business will have. People don’t mind doing the work, they don’t mind getting work added, they mind not getting paid for it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yep. Increase responsibilities at a rate 10X more than pay and guess what kind of culture a business will have. People don’t mind doing the work, they don’t mind getting work added, they mind not getting paid for it.

When I suped at UPS a couple decades ago, which is not a company known for a tremendous working environment, a driver and I were running an area the day after Thanksgiving. There was a moment where he was getting slammed. I offered to help him out, and his answer was "Erik, I'm getting $75 an hour today. Just bring it on."

So, he didn't care. He was fine. Strangely, it appeared that he only had the job in order to make money.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Except that most of the local meteorologists specifically said leading into the storm NOT to compare it to last year's derecho. If you take a drive over to Greene and Calhoun counties, you also may feel different about lack of damage.

Ames recorded a wind gust of 74 mph last night. Prediction was 40 mph sustained with 70+ gusts..doesn't seem overhyped to me.

SW Wisconsin had predictions of 40 sustained and gusts to 50 three days ago. Yesterday it moved to 50 and 80. The first prediction was correct.
Sorry this doesn't fit your Ames narrative.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Except that most of the local meteorologists specifically said leading into the storm NOT to compare it to last year's derecho. If you take a drive over to Greene and Calhoun counties, you also may feel different about lack of damage.

Ames recorded a wind gust of 74 mph last night. Prediction was 40 mph sustained with 70+ gusts..doesn't seem overhyped to me.
Maybe this was what meteorologists expected but they didn’t really successfully communicate it to people. They hyped it up for multiple days and all that. Places cancelled school and workers were sent home early. At my place it was really a 5-10 minute event. Sure the wind picked back up afterwards but I didn’t think it was really that extreme at least at my place.

The derecho last year was exponentially worse and longer. That’s even with more damage nearby this time. Like I said earlier maybe it was just PTSD for a lot of people but I think a lot of people stressed themselves out much more than they needed to.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I don’t like calling this a derecho. It devalues what a derecho actually is. The width of this line shouldn’t qualify it as a derecho. People will start throwing around “derecho” for every QLCS line of storms and people won’t care as much when a real derecho hits.

Reactions: kilroy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The derecho was longer?

The derecho rolled through fast, in and out in an hour. Last night the winds sustained lasted at least until 1 AM.

I sat on the living room couch and watched our big main window bounce back and forth from 7 Pm - 1AM every time the big gusts came.

Reactions: cyfanatic and MJ29

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The derecho was longer?

The derecho rolled through fast, in and out in an hour. Last night the winds sustained lasted at least until 1 AM.

I sat on the living room couch and watched our big main window bounce back and forth from 7 Pm - 1AM every time the big gusts came.

The winds behind the storm weren’t associated with the storm line.

Reactions: wxman1

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The derecho was longer?

It was done in 5-10 minutes in Urbandale last night. It was still windy after but not shake the house type winds. Maybe it was just the direction of my house but I frankly get more wind concerns on regular days sometimes. The Derecho was constant shake the house for a good 20 minutes or more. Others maybe had different experiences but I had more issues stressing out about it all day than the actual storm.

• Dumb
Reactions: Ayagi

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I don’t like calling this a derecho. It devalues what a derecho actually is. The width of this line shouldn’t qualify it as a derecho. People will start throwing around “derecho” for every QLCS line of storms and people won’t care as much when a real derecho hits.

Think of this as a category 1 or 2 derecho and last August as a category 5 derecho (worst in nations history). This was certainly a derecho, but it's tough to measure up to the most destructive in history.

Also, there certainly would have been more tree damage if the prior one hadn't culled the forests and cities the first time around

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Think of this as a category 1 or 2 derecho and last August as a category 5 derecho (worst in nations history). This was certainly a derecho, but it's tough to measure up to the most destructive in history.

Also, there certainly would have been more tree damage if the prior one hadn't culled the forests and cities the first time around

There is no derecho classification.