***Severe Weather on Wed 12/15***Damn its windy

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Very difficult but it's not always the end all be all. If it's a culture rampant with harassment, bias, lack of integrity - hard for money to make it worth it. Epic up here pays really well but it's also well known that they chew people up and spit them out. But if pay is **** to start with, yeah hard to convince people they are valued.
Had several friends who are working/have worked for Epic. They pay exceedingly well.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Had several friends who are working/have worked for Epic. They pay exceedingly well.

not a bad gig for kids out of college. The non-compete can make it difficult but once they time out of that there's 100 places they can go to. Anyone you know make it to the sabbatical yet?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
still blowing hard here today. Think we ultimately topped out in the 50-60 range, glad it was less than forecasted but man it woke me up at 3am rattling the whole house after I thought it calmed enough for bed at 1.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
SW Wisconsin had predictions of 40 sustained and gusts to 50 three days ago. Yesterday it moved to 50 and 80. The first prediction was correct.
Sorry this doesn't fit your Ames narrative.

My narrative is more like all of Iowa West of I-35, as well as large portions of Nebraska, Kansas and parts of Colorado.

Sorry this doesn't fit your "it wasn't that bad where I live" narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: Neptune78

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
My narrative is more like all of Iowa West of I-35, as well as large portions of Nebraska, Kansas and parts of Colorado.

Sorry this doesn't fit your "it wasn't that bad where I live" narrative.

I gave an opinion for what we saw. Sorry if you can't accept that in this case, it didn't agree with the forecast. Win some, lose some.

• Useful
Reactions: Agclone91

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
not a bad gig for kids out of college. The non-compete can make it difficult but once they time out of that there's 100 places they can go to. Anyone you know make it to the sabbatical yet?
Yup. I've got one friend who made it to sabbatical. After it was over, he walked away.
We worked in the BWCA together when he was still in college.
Not sure what he's doing next. He paid off his school debt and most of the mortgage on his house. Has quite a few investments.
He works for a mutual friend's tree company when he needs extra cash and spends the rest of his time backpacking.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
There is no derecho classification.
Agreed, that's why I said "think of it as"
They were both a derecho but because the one was so catastrophic, without quantifying them, the other is mistakenly not being seen as one.

Much like some named hurricanes are never used again (hurricane Andrew, hurricane Katrina, etc...) And others are thrown back into the 6yr naming cycle.

Without using numbers, last year was historically on par with an Andrew-like derecho and yesterday will be forgotten by many

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I doubt I'll ever forget last night. My wife and I and our dogs were huddled in the basement for a half hour with the sirens wailing wondering if our house was gonna be there in 5 minutes.

Once we knew it was safe, we sat in the car, in the driveway, and had a beer while charging phones.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I doubt I'll ever forget last night. My wife and I and our dogs were huddled in the basement for a half hour with the sirens wailing wondering if our house was gonna be there in 5 minutes.

Once we knew it was safe, we sat in the car, in the driveway, and had a beer while charging phones.

You go out driving after a sixer? Kidding…kidding…

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
It’s impossible to completely and accurately predict the future, therefore, I would say it was hyped up just the right amount.

• Informative
Reactions: RoseClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Had three sections of fence blown down. One section was about 20 feet away. Looked like it may have gone airborne!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Did you ask about maternity leave with your new company for when the third comes?

very funny but I actually always ask about parental leave because it's good to help destigmatize asking - people ask about vacation time, 401k and healthcare without then being looked over because "well they just plan to retire someday and leave us!!" and it tells me a lot about the culture. Nothing paid and nothing for non-birth parents? Not a place I want to be. Place I'm going was actually borderline on that but have some things going into effect Jan 1.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
As WHO-TV pointed out last night, at one point there were tornado warnings simultaneously in a line from Spencer to I-80. It set all kinds of records for severe weather in the month of December.

I might agree that some of the early dismissals were overdone, but people don't have the benefit of hindsight when making those calls.

It wasn't overblown. It was blown just right. ;)

The Waterloo meteorologist mentioned that something like 97 of 99 Iowa Counties has a Severe Storm Warning at some point yesterday.

I quick rant on early dismissals. Was talking to my sister yesterday who lives in Spencer area and her son's HS let out early at 1p. He then had to go to basketball practice.

Seriously? Would think if school is let out early, the best practice should be no after school activities. I guess that explains why Iowa schools are no longer top performing! Sports > Education.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Waterloo meteorologist mentioned that something like 97 of 99 Iowa Counties has a Severe Storm Warning at some point yesterday.

I quick rant on early dismissals. Was talking to my sister yesterday who lives in Spencer area and her son's HS let out early at 1p. He then had to go to basketball practice.

Seriously? Would think if school is let out early, the best practice should be no after school activities. I guess that explains why Iowa schools are no longer top performing! Sports > Education.
If it’s Spencer, tell him to tell the Sup that BC says to stop being a jackass or I will tell stories about him.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

The turn and burn on the hill. I always shake my head as I drive by.

• Agree

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yep, left Ag entirely. It'll be weird being back on a schedule but the baby will be in daycare so at least I won't be juggling him + work. Until day 3 when he gets sick and is home the rest of the week :p

Fingers crossed. My oldest immediately got RSV at daycare. I remember thinking how much less work the job was than the kids.

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29 and cowgirl836

Help Support Us

Become a patron