SCRIMMAGE REPORT: Need-to-knows as the Cyclones wrap-up 2018

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Also glad to hear Jones stood out among WRs. I was impressed with how he blocked in the screen game. Love a guy that plays like that despite his touches dropping off.

Anybody in the know have predictions about the other S spot and STAR along with Eisworth? White and Ruth?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Man Campbell has really locked down spring practice. He even noted that he is worried about it with people having cell phone cameras. This is way too paranoid but probably typical of coaches. I really miss those couple 2-3 min videos of spring practice that Cyclones.TV put out the first few weeks. They only run like 10 plays in games anyway so it's not like he's hiding much.

At least with this coaching staff we can trust them that they are putting in the work and the team is getting better.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Man Campbell has really locked down spring practice. He even noted that he is worried about it with people having cell phone cameras. This is way too paranoid but probably typical of coaches. I really miss those couple 2-3 min videos of spring practice that Cyclones.TV put out the first few weeks. They only run like 10 plays in games anyway so it's not like he's hiding much.

At least with this coaching staff we can trust them that they are putting in the work and the team is getting better.

Most coaches don’t run very many plays. There are two general theories out there. 1) run 5-10 plays each out of a couple different sets or 2) run about 5-10 plays out of 10-20 different sets. You have about the same number of possibilities but different coaches believe one or the other is better. I know I may have simplified it, teams have more in the play book, but teams typically dial into their strengths and try to exploit those.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Also glad to hear Jones stood out among WRs. I was impressed with how he blocked in the screen game. Love a guy that plays like that despite his touches dropping off.

Anybody in the know have predictions about the other S spot and STAR along with Eisworth? White and Ruth?
Sounds to me like White & Lewis have an inside track but I could see Ruth playing the STAR. He might be too good to keep off of the field.

Also sounds like Keontae Jones could be in contention if he packs on some pounds this summer.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Was hoping the response to the question about Re-al would have been more exciting. We've heard earlier about his elite speed and playmaking ability earlier- not so much yesterday.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Was hoping the response to the question about Re-al would have been more exciting. We've heard earlier about his elite speed and playmaking ability earlier- not so much yesterday.

It was only 72 plays. I'm assuming he probably only had a couple plays at the most

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Get the feeling that CMC thinks he has everything in place but the OL and his glue guys, and is mostly looking to see what young guys can fill in when they are needed. Most of us fans are excited about the explosive guys like Re-al and Kene simply because ISU really has rarely had those kind of guys.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Yes he's fast, but he's still learning and working with the 3's so it's tougher to see how effective he would/could be when working with the 1's or 2's.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes he's fast, but he's still learning and working with the 3's so it's tougher to see how effective he would/could be when working with the 1's or 2's.

Did he put 1s against the 1s or do combos of 1/2s like Rhoads? Been unable to get to one of Campbell’s.

Help Support Us

Become a patron