Rule changes

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
My replay would be 10 people in New York voting on it. We have it on TV. Run all the replays, then each person has a certain time to vote on if the call she be overturned. No longer than 1 minute or so on each replay. That way the official in the box don't have to overturn his buddys opinion on the field. Im sick of these old men in the replay booth getting it wrong.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Here is my wish list. Nothing major.
1. Officiating. There should be a tiered set of pools of officials based on call accuracy. P5 has the most accurate highest paid officials. The group of 5 is next and so on. If you screw up a call you get demoted. No conference pools.
2. Replays. Replay officials are not told what the call on the field is and must make a call. They have the resources to get it right instead of passing the buck. Same merit system as above.
3. Call reversals. If a flag is picked up it must be reviewed by the booth.
4. No more encroachment due to false start on offense. If both sides are at fault, penalties should offset.
5. Can’t cover downfield before the ball is punted. Except for 2 outside guys.
6. If you fumble through the opponents end zone, you get the ball on their 20. Should not be a turnover.
7. No grad transfers.
8. Offense can change from 1 point to 2 point conversion if there is a penalty. And vice-versa.

Not a bad list. No Grad Transfers though??? So you think a kid should not be able to improve his life or the conditions that he may be in?

Also the fumble out of the endzone rule is good. You fumbled it. That is the rule. No problem with that one.

Can we call 3. the Iowa State rule?

AllN4Cy

Sep 9, 2010
Grimes
I think a time limit is important on replays. I also think the call on the field should be "hidden" if possible, but not sure if that's possible.

I think coaches should have the ability to challenge penalty calls or flags that are picked up. Get 2 challenges a game and if a penalty is reversed, coach gets another challenge. Officials need to be held accountable during the games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I understand the reason for "irrefutable evidence" standard. The replay officials only have the benefit of what the cameras catch. When the officials on the field see the play they have different views and my be privy to a view or views that are superior to what the cameras catch. I don't think what the officials on the field see should be totally discounted. It should only be overturned if it is pretty clear that it was the wrong call. The problem is what is irrefutable evidence defined to be. Sometimes it seems to be interpreted as "our gut says it probably went the other way" while other times "I wouldn't overturn if baby Jesus himself came here and told me that it was the wrong call" seems to be the stance.

I would just like some consistency.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm speaking as an angry ISU fan, but I'd like to have the officials be held accountable for their calls. Or have to answer for them, at least.

In what profession can you do something blatantly wrong, and nobody is allowed to even ask you a question about it? Even weatherman wonder whats up.
vauEUgn.gif

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There is absolutely nothing good which would come out of the officials having to answer for their calls. The current way of handling everything privately when possible is the best way to handle it.

"Why didn't you call holding on #67 on the play with 12:18 left in the second quarter?"
"Uhhh, I'm not sure which play you're talking about?"

"How about the pass interference call where it appeared the receiver pushed off but the corner was flagged for it?"
"Which time?"

"You called back a touchdown run on a hold but replay showed there wasn't any holding. Why was the flag thrown?"
"Well, we got it right in the end because the touchdown in the 4th quarter we didn't throw the flag on should've been offensive pass interference. We gave one and took one away."

Long story short? Nothing good can come of it. No one is going to feel any better when an official says, "Yep, we missed that one." It just undermines the entire thing more than it already is.

Just because they aren't publicly flogged doesn't mean they aren't accountable. When the conference hires officials for the next year the input of the coaches is one of the heavily weighted factors. The other problem? These guys are all the best at what they do. Look at the NFL for a case of how pitiful officiating can be when all the best sit and watch instead of officiating.

And if their job is that easy, you should be doing it. They make significantly more than you do so why don't you jump right in and get on being a professional official.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm speaking as an angry ISU fan, but I'd like to have the officials be held accountable for their calls. Or have to answer for them, at least.

In what profession can you do something blatantly wrong, and nobody is allowed to even ask you a question about it? Even weatherman wonder whats up.
vauEUgn.gif
Unless it's an objectively wrong interpretation or use of the rules the answer more often than not is going to be that they determined a penalty was committed, or not committed as the case may be. I don't think giving angry fans an avenue to ***** at refs is going to improve anything.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

vauEUgn.gif

As a high school basketball referee, there is consequences for blatant errors. Can't imagine that every play is not evaluated that is abnormal.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Absolutely disagree on #7. Players are already excessively tied to the schools, but not vice versa. I think if there is a coaching change, all players on the team have the opportunity to transfer without having to sit a year. I'm okay with a few restrictions, ie can't transfer in-conference or another team their old team is scheduled to play.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I just think the grad transfer system is a sham. You can’t get a postgrad degree in one year anyway. It’s just a way to keep playing after you graduate and should be either in the NFL or working . The tuition is 100% wasted for grad transfers. I have an MBA myself and it’s pretty useless if your an engineer.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
#4 is when the Olineman deliberately false starts while the Dlineman is in the neutral zone in order to cash in on the encroachment penalty. It is rewarding the offense for making a penalty. I don’t think that is right.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I just think the grad transfer system is a sham. You can’t get a postgrad degree in one year anyway. It’s just a way to keep playing after you graduate and should be either in the NFL or working . The tuition is 100% wasted for grad transfers. I have an MBA myself and it’s pretty useless if your an engineer.
Got a night MBA at Drake at company expense. Always felt it was a money grab by Drake.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
One change I would like to see is defensive pass interference. I would like to see the ball placed where the interference took place. IMO too much incentive for defenses to interfere on deep passes if the most they are penalized is 15 yards.

I also think there is too much hand fighting by both WR's and DB's- would like to see it cleaned up.
This would be a disaster. Give even more impact to the most subjective and inconsistent call in football. Plus WAY too much PI called on defense and not enough offensive PI called. As it is now there is too much incentive too have receivers initiate contact and push off, knowing that half the time PI will be called on defense.
The other huge problem is this make a football move and process of making a catch crap. Control and a foot in college or two feet in the NFL worked great. It was clear and objective. Anything that adds interpretation by officials is horrible.

Sorg4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2015
Alright...the ultimate change to replay. I am taking most of everyone's ideas on here and adding to them.

Each conference has a crew of 6 reply officials at conference headquarters. If a play needs reviewed, we keep the guy up in the booth to buzz in the review. However, once the reply is initiated it goes to the crew at HQ. The crew aren't allowed to discuss the play, they aren't told the call on the field, and only have 1 min to lock in their call. If the vote comes back split (3/3) then the call on the field stands. If 4/2 or greater then that becomes the call (whether it confirms the call on the field or changes it).

Also same happens with coaches challenges except the coach is allowed to challenge any penalty them deem wrong. They lose once and they are done for the game. They win and they get the challenge back. This continues until they get one wrong.

During bowl games and non-conference games, you have another conference scheduled to review calls for this game. Just like they currently do now with officials.

The other aspect I would love to see change is the conference aligned officiating crews. I would assume this was once a case of trying to limit the travel for officials but with super conferences, it would seem this no longer applies. I would like a ranking system throughout the year/career to make sure the great officials are officiating the highest level games with the most on the line and the lowest tier end up out of the game or reffing high school games.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Replay refs should have to make public and explain what they saw that led them to "confirm" or "overturn" a call. No more "wizards behind the curtain!"

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Much of the "student athlete scholarship" system is a sham. Many players come to play, not study. Grad transfers are the ones who have proven that they have fully taken advantage of the academic aspect of the scholarship. The bottom line is that they are not taking a year away from anyone. They are just taking full advantage of the years for which they are eligible, albeit at another team for the last year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think that challenges at both the college and pro level should allow for the coaches to retain their challenge and not be charged a timeout if the call "stands as called." They should only lose their challenge if the call "is confirmed." Why are coaches penalized because the camera didn't capture enough to overturn the call? The call may still be wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron