Rule changes

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Here is my wish list. Nothing major.
1. Officiating. There should be a tiered set of pools of officials based on call accuracy. P5 has the most accurate highest paid officials. The group of 5 is next and so on. If you screw up a call you get demoted. No conference pools.
2. Replays. Replay officials are not told what the call on the field is and must make a call. They have the resources to get it right instead of passing the buck. Same merit system as above.
3. Call reversals. If a flag is picked up it must be reviewed by the booth.
4. No more encroachment due to false start on offense. If both sides are at fault, penalties should offset.
5. Can’t cover downfield before the ball is punted. Except for 2 outside guys.
6. If you fumble through the opponents end zone, you get the ball on their 20. Should not be a turnover.
7. No grad transfers.
8. Offense can change from 1 point to 2 point conversion if there is a penalty. And vice-versa.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
One change I would like to see is defensive pass interference. I would like to see the ball placed where the interference took place. IMO too much incentive for defenses to interfere on deep passes if the most they are penalized is 15 yards.

I also think there is too much hand fighting by both WR's and DB's- would like to see it cleaned up.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
4. Wouldn't be tough. If you are going on your guys movement you'd be screwed. Would force backs to watch the ball in bump and run, dlineman to watch the ball if they are in assignment and there are adjustments made in the backfield or by a tight end. Too many times where you really penalize the D.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
One change I would like to see is defensive pass interference. I would like to see the ball placed where the interference took place. IMO too much incentive for defenses to interfere on deep passes if the most they are penalized is 15 yards.

I also think there is too much hand fighting by both WR's and DB's- would like to see it cleaned up.

I disagree. I feel there are already way too many instances of offensive plays being run with the intent of getting a PI call. Offense already has too much of an advantage on this scenario and to penalize the defense at the college level more would be detrimental to the overall spirit of the game.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
On 6. What about if it goes out of bounds from the end zone? Not out the back.

I actually have no idea what the current rule is if it is fumbled before you cross the line then it rolls out the side of the end zone.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This. Every sport needs to do this, and Baseball is the worst.

No way, at least baseball has a challenge system like the NFL where you only get a certain amount plus theirs doesn’t take that long anymore it’s very streamlined. Basketball is the worst IMO. NBA and NCAA

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I would like to have a facemask rule for the ball carrier. If the defender touches his facemask it's a penalty, but yet the runner can without penalty? If you intentionally touch their facemask it should be a penalty.

I always hated this as an undersized high school cornerback. Why does the running back get to grab my facemask, which they usually did while stiff arming, when I can't grab his? Also if the defender lowering his head is a targeting call, the same should be true if the runner lower his head and delivers a blow.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No way, at least baseball has a challenge system like the NFL where you only get a certain amount plus theirs doesn’t take that long anymore it’s very streamlined. Basketball is the worst IMO. NBA and NCAA

I saw something headed into the post season that the average replay review time in MLB last season was nearly 2 minutes. Thats way too long for an average, IMO.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
How about a rule where officials cant confer with other refs not near the play before making there own call. To many times they have to have a discussion before a call. Just like the fumble and the end of the osu game. I thought they were told to favor the playmaker first and let review correct it. Need to make a call and nearest ref or 2 need to make it not the head official who is 30 yards away

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I'd like to make it such that a 5 yard off-sides penalty can't offset a 15 yd pass interference call. For calls to be truly 'offsetting' they should be of equal magnitude. In other words, the call for the 15 yd PI would stand in my example and the flag for offsides would be picked up. Offsetting call rule would only apply for infractions with equal penalties.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I'd like to make it such that a 5 yard off-sides penalty can't offset a 15 yd pass interference call. For calls to be truly 'offsetting' they should be of equal magnitude. In other words, the call for the 15 yd PI would stand in my example and the flag for offsides would be picked up. Offsetting call rule would only apply for infractions with equal penalties.

Why not just split the difference and walk off the yardage for each? i.e., in your scenario it would be a 10 yard gain for the pass interference.