Royce is writing himself a fat check tonight

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
Bobby La Gesse ‏ @BobbyLaGesse
White said he will look at the NBA over the next few weeks and talk to Hoiberg about it before making any decision.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Free throws aren't a big deal, but the complete lack of any outside jump shot is. RW will be pretty easy for NBA caliber forwards to guard if he can't score from outside of 5 feet.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Everybody seems to forget that for some reason the NBA seems to be in love with foreign player's, it seems to happen every year for some reason that the first round is full of foreign player's.

Who forgot about foreign players?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Free throws aren't a big deal, but the complete lack of any outside jump shot is. RW will be pretty easy for NBA caliber forwards to guard if he can't score from outside of 5 feet.

This.

Anyone who doesn't instantly realize this doesn't even casually follow the NBA. An open 10 footer is CASH for any NBA player getting decent minutes. I love Royce, but that's not remotely the case for him.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Royce may have moved his stock up to being a second rounder or late first rounder with his play but he won't see any minutes if he can't knock down a ten footer or hit 60% or better from the line.

I feel like I'm one of the only fans here that watches a lot more NBA than NCAA. To be honest...I practically hate NCAA basketball, the stupid 35 second shot clock, and incompetent officiating outside of watching ISU and the big dance. A guy like Royce will not make it in the league bricking open jumpers and air balling free throws. I really think it's best for him to stay, if he's not projected as a first rounder this year it's a 99% good decision to come back.
I agree with this!

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
If he didn't have the anxiety issue he'd be a lottery pick according to chad ford. He will still go first round

I don't know how often he updates this, but Chad Ford has RW currently rated as #63 on his 2012 Top 100 draft prospects.

ksclone2

Nov 28, 2009
Chicago, IL
He has no jump shot at all which hurts his NBA potential a lot. The draft field is as good as its been in a long time.

Royce has a great advisor in Hoiberg who will help him make the RIGHT decision for himself, his family and ISU. At this point I think the right decision for everyone is for him to come back and become a lottery pick next year as well as garner some All-American honors and a great season for ISU.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I don't know how often he updates this, but Chad Ford has RW currently rated as #63 on his 2012 Top 100 draft prospects.

He was tweeting about Royce quite a bit tonight - the number he threw out was 35, and said he'd be 20 spots higher if it weren't for the anxiety issues. Seth Davis also said something along the lines of, "IF there are 35 players better than Royce White, this will be the best draft in history."

ISUPoker

Apr 21, 2009
Chicago
I feel like I'm one of the only fans here that watches a lot more NBA than NCAA. To be honest...I practically hate NCAA basketball, the stupid 35 second shot clock, and incompetent officiating outside of watching ISU and the big dance. A guy like Royce will not make it in the league bricking open jumpers and air balling free throws. I really think it's best for him to stay, if he's not projected as a first rounder this year it's a 99% good decision to come back.
I also watch more NBA than NCAA. While I agree with your points, the NBA drafts on potential. I feel like he'll get picked in the 18-25 range, but like you said he'll need to develop a midrange game to stick in the NBA. At the very least, he needs to hit a 12 footer.

I also feel like he's a bit of a tweener in the NBA. I feel like he's more likely to be a 3 than a 4 in the League.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
He was tweeting about Royce quite a bit tonight - the number he threw out was 35, and said he'd be 20 spots higher if it weren't for the anxiety issues. Seth Davis also said something along the lines of, "IF there are 35 players better than Royce White, this will be the best draft in history."

That would put him early 2nd round, which isn't a great place to be. I really have no dog in this fight, as I'm not affected by his decision at all, but I think if he's a first rounder (guaranteed contract) then he should go. If not, he should come back.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
You don't necessarily have to have a 15 ft jumper and be a prolific scorer to add big time value to a team. He's athletic and big enough that he could quite possibly average 10ppg, 4 assists, 10 boards. That would be attractive to many teams. Especially ones with some good scoring options in place that are just looking for an extra piece to the puzzle.

ISUPoker

Apr 21, 2009
Chicago
The closest comparison to him is Boris Diaw, except I feel like he's quicker than Boris but doesn't shoot nearly as well.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I expect he is gone. He would certainly benefit staying one more year, but I suspect he will want to take care of his child. Can't really blame the man for that.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
He can score at the rim, good court vision, good passer, creates his own shots, and very solid rebounder.

The NBA needs Royce White. ;)

Help Support Us

Become a patron