Robin Williams commits suicide

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My fav movies of his are probably good morning Vietnam, dead poets society and good will hunting. I'm sure lots of people under 40 are most familiar with voice of Aladdin's genie, I remember watching Mork and mindy in syndication as a kid (nick at night I think) and loving it but haven't seen it since.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
AP Wire Copy:

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) - Oscar-winner Robin Williams, whose free-form comedy and adept impressions dazzled audiences for decades, has died in an apparent suicide. He was 63.

The Marin County Sheriff's Office says Williams was pronounced dead at his home in California on Monday. The sheriff's office says a preliminary investigation shows the cause of death to be a suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams shot to fame in the late '70s as the alien in TV's "Mork and Mindy." He conquered the big screen in comic films such as "Good Morning, Vietnam" and "Mrs. Doubtfire." But he won his Academy Award in a serious role - as the therapist in "Good Will Hunting."

His performing style was at its purest in his standup act, as he impersonated a Russian immigrant or parodied anyone from John Wayne to Keith Richards.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
This sucks. Such an amazing actor and comedian. This one is tough to take in.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Seems like comedians are always the saddest and most depressed people inside.

This one hurts.
Ah, you never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I loved Mork & Mindy as a kid.

I remember him being on Good Morning America in the 80's, and he went on one of his crazy episodes around the set, stumbled onto the kitchen part of the set (I'm leaning to remember he went into a Julia Child impersonation) He then opened the fridge, where the camera couldn't see inside, gasped, exclaimed "Jimmy Hoffa!", and quickly shut the door. I don't know why I remember that particular instance of his wonderful craziness, but I do.

Prayers for his family and friends.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
At first I thought it was one of those stupid "Fooled You!" links that have been all over Facebook the last couple of weeks, then I realized those are credible sources. That totally sucks.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
My fav movies of his are probably good morning Vietnam, dead poets society and good will hunting. I'm sure lots of people under 40 are most familiar with voice of Aladdin's genie, I remember watching Mork and mindy in syndication as a kid (nick at night I think) and loving it but haven't seen it since.

If you haven't seen it, you have to watch "World's Greatest Dad" I honestly think it's some of the best acting he ever did.

This is crummy news. I'm usually not too broken up over celebrity deaths. This one is a whammy though, he really had a great career. Was one of the worlds truly great talents.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
DeadPoetsSociety.best_.jpg

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Any of you old enough to remember the series of comic relief specials that he & Whoopi & Billy Crystal used to host on HBO? Some of the best belly laughs came from those three just riffing off each other....ad libs everywhere...

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sad thing. He was a very funny man who was an extremely talented actor in both comedic and dramatic roles.

Boy....I wish that every person that suffers from depression would realize how many people loved them. My mom's brother was depressed and committed suicide almost 40 years ago. She's never gotten over it. Never be afraid to get help or to help someone you care about get help.

Last edited: